• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Coming Out

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I thought I'd make a more serious topic and ask:

Have any of our members in the LGBTQ+ community come out to friends/family? What was your experience like?

I'm pansexual but the closest I ever got to coming out was telling my mom that I'm attracted to girls. She did not take it well. At all. My family is extremely conservative so things like that just aren't accepted. Luckily, she didn't throw me out or anything. To be honest, I don't think she took me too seriously, and she assumed I was just 'following a trend' or 'trying to be different'. Now that I'm married to a guy, she probably just assumes I'm straight. It's pretty frustrating, and I can't lie, it does hurt that my family won't accept me for who I am.. but I try to look on the positive side -- because I know there are households where you can get thrown out, beaten, even killed for not being straight/cis. I'm lucky in the sense that my family loves me, and even though I know I'll never be able to truly share with them this huge part of me, at least they won't ever completely reject me..because they don't know.

Years
  • Sort of. As in, I tell my family all the time I'm gay and trans, but they never accept it and just pretend I'm not. I think they've deluded themselves because they want the perfect daughter.

Years
  • I never went ahead and told my family that I am bi. I am more into females anyway and can't really see myself being with a guy as a long term thing so I don't really care too much that it is a secret. I understand that people would want to not keep things from family and be accepted though. I know that if I came out my parents wouldn't care and would most likely treat me just like they do everyday.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    lmao i've Come Out in two separate scenarios* - one was when i told my parents at 16 that i liked men, the other time was almost two years ago when i told my mum about Being a Woman and wanting to transition genders, lol.
    * - i've come out to friends and w/e and been out for years, but i tend to think about Coming Out in terms of family.

coming out as Liking Men was infinitely more stressful bc i still lived in a deeply devout household and still had a tyrannical father who, well, would not accept such a thing; end of story. good times! my mum wasn't as severe and by her own (later) admission was strongly influenced by my father more than her beliefs at the time. she's much better about it now, though still uncomfortable about some of the more physical aspects and The Gays being open in public, lol. she's learning, though!

when i came out to her about wanting to transition genders, she was initially very supportive and cried with me and whatever. but then like a month later she flipped back and decided trans people were scum of the earth and what not. a few months later, she was back on board again. so that set the tone for the next two years. however, about three weeks ago where we had a heart to heart (something we hadn't done, well, ever) and she called me her daughter. so we're good now.

Years
  • I told my mum I was bi a few weeks ago, she was cool with it, she really doesn't care about stuff like that tbh I haven't told anyone else because i'm just not ready and as accepting as people are these days with being gay (where I live at least) people are still weird about bisexuality, they just dont believe its real or think you're either greedy or confused.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'lll never come out to my family about being pan and trans. I don't want them to try and say "you're not (x) you're straight" or "you're not a guy" so I don't feel like wasting energy on it to my family.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I was in the car with my Grandma, Uncle and Mom. The discussion of one of my cousins who happens to be a lesbian came up. They went on and on about how she was "hugged up with some girl" on Facebook. Of course, I defended her. That whole conversation ended up coming back to me and my sexuality. They asked and I told them, though they said they already knew. Especially my mom. She doesn't really care as I'm still her child. As for my dad, not sure if he knows or not, which doesn't bother me. If he feels comfortable enough, he'll ask. Although I'm pretty sure he knows because according to my step-mom he does know and that's why he picked on me when I was younger.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm lmao... I don't plan on coming out about anything to any of my family. Not unless I absolutely have to. Which sucks but at the same time it's like. My mom cares more about what my step dad's side of the family thinks about everything (they're all obnoxiously religious too) than how she feels so it's like. No thanks.

User19sq

I wouldn't be surprised if I somehow ended up coming out. I mean, I'm completely straight and all, but considering my shameful track with girls, and how awful the only female influences in my life currently treat me, I might as well just go gay.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • Rev up those fryers...

tl;dr I've attempted coming out as trans a ridiculous amount of times. I've never bothered coming out as bisexual because I figure that will just be part and parcel with coming out as trans, and I expect little success on the relationship front in my current situation anyway. I have come out to a select few people in real life and I'm a bit less subtle nowadays but I'm not super public about or anything. I think some of the blame for nothing of note happening in seven years can be put on me for not being assertive enough but I feel I am a victim of bad circumstance for the most part.

longer version:
    Spoiler:

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    i came out to my mother as bisexual when i was fourteen and her reaction was the most anti-climatic thing ever. i think since i'd been taught 'this is a really big moment' i'd been hyping it up in my brain over and over again without even considering my mum's personality and personal opinions. so when she hit me with the 'okay, cool' i was kind of... disappointed? i almost wanted her to react somehow; i felt i'd been let down in a way, that something i'd been hiding and dramatizing in my own mind had just completely deflated in front of me. it was in the car just before she dropped me off and i left the car crying not because she'd hurt me but because i really just didn't know how to feel.

coming out to my sister was better - i have a t-shirt that literally states my sexuality on it ('i'm too shy & bisexual for this') and i was wearing it when she came over once. she was shocked, naturally, and asked me a few questions like 'are you sure?' and shit like that but really nothing too serious. i doubt she believed me, because i've never been forward with my sister about feelings so she's never known me to have a crush on a girl, whereas my mother literally knows i've dated a girl in the past.

as for my dad... doubt he even knows what 'bisexual' means. don't think he'd want to know, either, he's far more traditional. ripperoo

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I'm out to all my friends. First challenge was coming out to myself - after years of inner turmoil and just feeling bleh about it all, I finally accepted myself a couple years ago.

It took a few months to tell a friend, and that was one of the hardest things I've done but also one of the best. It was incredible how much weight was lifted off my shoulders, and how surreal everything felt. The next six months were weird, a constant cycle of coming out to my inner circle of friends and working my way out.

Now it's been about 18 months since I told that first friend. I'm out to everyone except family. Living in a different city now it feels so liberating not having to hide anything, but whenever I go back to visit it feels a bit odd because I have to hide something that I've grown used to being open about. I haven't told my family yet because they're quite religious and I don't have any strong indications that they'll take it well yet - but I'm sure the time will come... eventually. :/

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • i sort of 'came out' to my mom and my dad about being bisexual (although i don't like using labels now, i just say i'm bisexual to make it easier because saying i'm pan or non labelling can be frustrating if they don't understand) and my mom and dad were just like "oh ok, i will support you no matter what" so uh. yeah that's cool.

however as for the rest of my family, like aunts, uncles, etc, no one really knows (except for my nana who says i'm confused) and i don't plan on telling them unless i get a girlfriend or significant other anytime soon. my little sister knows, and she is actually bi herself (she's 11 but she's mature for her age so i'm sure she knows what she likes) and my big sister i think she knows but she never says anything about it like ever so yeah.

point is, unless i get a s/o or gf anytime soon, i don't plan on telling the rest of my family because i've learned throughout the years that a majority of them are close minded and/or homophobic. some don't care because they're just getting old but a lot of them i think are close minded. oh well.

Years
  • Maybe three of my friends know, because they're people I've known for a long time/trust enough to real talk with, but crap like this will not fly with my family, especially conservative father.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I'm bisexual and I have known for years. I'm only open to discussing it with friends because of certain people not exactly agreeing with it.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • I'm gay and I have not come out yet. I just don't want to ruin the good relationship I have with my Mother and somewhat good relationship with my father. I can tell it to my mother because she will accept it, I'm 100% sure. But my father though.. He 100% does not want a gay son. So I'm keeping it a secret for now.

Devil in the Mirror

We Stitch These Wounds
    Years
  • My friends and family all know. I didn't ever actually "come out." People noticed that I dated a guy and later dated a girl and my facebook page said "interested in men and women" and most people were like "okay." And my family asked me about switching my pronouns so they obviously know about the trans thing too. My only "coming out" experience came when I stopped lying to myself about the latter and needed an online community I'm well-known in to stop incorrectly addressing me. I do however keep that a secret from my work because there are no anti-descrimination laws for that here last I checked, and I'm too broke to fix anything anyway.

Tbh, I don't think people should have to "come out," as who you are in this regard is just who you are and should simply be accepted.

Also @aurora, that's pretty appalling what you've been through. I know my parents are supportive of me and even so I'm pretty worried about the counselor part of all this. Can't imagine how hellacious what you've been through and continue to go through is. I hope you make some progress soon. :/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    None of my friends know I'm bi, they're all kind of against lgbt people and it sucks. :/ My father (only parent) knows but doesn't really care, which is good

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
  • Well I have told my friends that I'm interested in girls and I sure am glad that they didn't seem judgmental about it. They know about my asexuality too, and both that and me being quite gay have turned into some playful inside jokes: "There are so many straight people and then there's Lemon" or "You're always so chaste", things like that. I don't mind though, as long as it's harmless fun.
    My parents don't know however and I'm not planning to come out to them anytime soon. The idea scares me a bit even though they don't seem judgmental either - but it just worries me for some reason. There are many far-fetched (:t083:) scenarios in my head and they make my worries even stronger. Maybe I'll eventually inform them about it, at least when I have a partner with me. If I have.

Back