• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

bloody fights yo

Years
  • As weird as it is, I actually really love writing descriptions of scenery. I feel like a vividly described setting really transports the reader into your world and I love getting lost in making that happen.

Years
  • Hmm... this is a hard one for me. Both scenery and fight scenes come naturally to me, and I like writing both. I'd give it to the fight scenes, though - there's something so fluid about the way I think when I'm writing a battle happening.

I've always found that it's more fun to picture the fights in your head than to transcribe those thoughts to words. The words never seem to do my mental image justice.

Bay

Years
  • I've always found that it's more fun to picture the fights in your head than to transcribe those thoughts to words. The words never seem to do my mental image justice.

Pretty much every writer haha.

I think what I like writing most is dialogue, I like imagining how conversations between different characters would go. I've been trying to get better at scenery and action, though.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I think what I like writing most is dialogue, I like imagining how conversations between different characters would go.
    Same. Dialogue more than anything is what brings the characters to life in my head. It's definitely when I'm most in my element.

That's how it is most of the time at least. The one time I had the most fun writing was for a doozy of an action scene. It was basically the giant, mid-story payoff for a bunch of different world-mechanics and character motivations that I'd spent the previous 8 chapters establishing. I switched perspectives between 3 characters over the course of the fight, meaning the narration was colored in turns by a character who views all of life as a chess match, one who's paralyzed from trying to moralize about the situation, and one who's borderline psychotic and deranged. It had minor superpowers, time/causality shenanigans, a tactical cave-in, and of course a Digimon attack that gets called out by name. I was listening to fight scene music from Fate/Zero basically the whole time while writing it, too. It still gets my blood pumping just thinking about writing it.

tl;dr: Dialogue usually, but sometimes fight scenes if they provide the payoff for other story elements.

Vragon

Dialogue more than anything is what brings the characters to life in my head. It's definitely when I'm most in my element.
    So true, however I also add a little thing to this. I either start off with dialogue, or I start describing the character in an action about to go into dialogue. I don't do this all the time (Arceus forbid), but I find it to be very helpful to get the formalities of character information out of the way. Especially when a specific chapter has more than two or three scenes. (shivers)

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Scenery and fights definitely. When I write things always start to just play out like a movie in my head and sometimes it gets hard to keep up with because I haven't actually gotten to the point of being able to control it. So when there's a faster paced actiony part going on I end up skipping certain details and such because my hands just can't keep up with the badassery playing in my mind and then it just ends up being a muddled mess. So scenery is #1 since it's at least mostly static. Character actions and expressions along with conflicts are #2 and then dialogue and everything else is #3.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think I'm rather horrible with scenery and descriptions haha. Greatly prefer dialogue to picture things and events.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • Emotional monologue. Quite an odd choice.

I write my second fanfic in 1st-person narrative. So every line I need to think what is the narrator character currently thinking. In many of the situations where the narrator character is not physically doing anything, but it is just that he/she is focusing onto something and pondering, that will be my favourite part to write about.

Back