• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[heavy controversial debate warning] Evolution real or not?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    oh, hey, in the interest of not repeating the same song and dance I've seen done for years now, I'd appreciate it if we start presenting evidence and backing up claims and whatnot so to have an actual discussion on the topic

i don't really wanna read a thread full of posts basically going:
    person a: scientists are lying evolution is fake
    person b: nuh-unh it's real go google the proof
    person a: nu it's fake and i'd show you why but you ppl won't listen

so yeah

I brought up radioisotope dating, so people can start with that if they want. Or try to back up the claim that scientists are lying and/or don't know anything. Or any other points to make or evidence to bring up. Whatever floats your boats.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • It doesn't make much sense to say that evolution is not real IMO, considering even some of our most recent cultures have been around long enough that they have been able to document the process going on "live", as seen with for example some animals adapting traits and behaviours better suited to urban life. Even the fact that we have cats and dogs as pets, as well as lamb and chicken as food, is by itself evidence of evolution as a process. One would think Christians would support the idea, after all their book tells that their god left us the Earth and the animals and creatures in it to do with to our leisure. So we did.

What is certain is that there's still a lot of good, healthy questioning on when and how evolution happens; as recently as a few years ago we had perceptions of dinosaurs, crocodiles and birds that are now once again completely challenged, and even now we challenge the fact and the method of how crops and dogs are created.

Kai

Wayfarer
    Years
  • A group of people living in an area will slowly adapt to their environment over time so that type of evolution is indisputably real.

One would think Christians would support the idea, after all their book tells that their god left us the Earth and the animals and creatures in it to do with to our leisure. So we did.

Christians believe people can evolve or adapt to their environment. They don't believe that people evolved from another organism since the Bible clearly states that God created mankind and gave them dominion over the creatures of the Earth that were created before them. Take a gander at the book of Genesis if you need evidence.

Even the pope of the Catholic church declared that he supports the theory of the big bang as well as evolution and countless other churches have openly embraced science.

The pope was saying that God could have made the universe via the big bang. He also points out that the big bang would require a creator since even science dictates that something can't come from nothing.

"The Big Bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator but, rather, requires it." -Pope Francis

The pope also believes that God created mankind as beings that can evolve thus making evolution a valid thing.

"Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve." -Pope Francis

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    When I?m presented the choice between ?living beings that started as dividing cells that grew in complexity alongside the constantly-shifting environment until we reached full-functioning beings that are always adapting to our surroundings in several tiny but important ways? and ?a superpowered sky human made everything exactly the way it is right now trillions of years ago and nothing has changed at all except for a few things that aren?t that significant,? I tend to lean towards the former.

Not to demean anyone?s beliefs but honestly if the things in the Bible were actual events that happened and not metaphors, they would still be happening today. Also, inability to prove the opposite of something doesn?t make the something true. Even if there?s no scientific way to prove that The Big Bang was a thing, that doesn?t mean creationism is thereby proven. Any number of things could?ve happened at the beginning of the entire universe. It?s not a binary choice lmfao.

Also, just a clarification, the Big Bang theory is not ?something came from nothing.? Even if that was the theory, it still wouldn?t be implausible because it?s highly possible other locations within the entire universe follow different laws of physics that we probably can?t concieve of. We?ve explored a very small part of the humongous universe and our scope of knowledge, however big it is to us, is still incredibly small in the fave of what we are to learn.

Years
  • I feel like it's worth reiterating that you can be religious without choosing to ignore science as many in this thread have demonstrated.

You can acknowledge the fact of evolution without denying a god.

Years
  • Evolution is only controversial in the USA. If it turns out that Evolution is wrong, then scientist will figure out how we came to be. I'm not worried about it. If Creationism were correct, then Scientist would eventually adopt it. The fact that they haven't, means that Evolution is currently the best idea we have for how we got from A to Z.

Back