• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Autosave - yay or nay?

Years
  • With Sword and Shield came the ability to turn on Autosave - a feature that automatically saves your game after certain events. This feature can be helpful for certain people (especially children) who forget to save themselves, but may not be very appreciated by fans who want to reset for certain things. It will likely be continuing to exist in future games.

Do you guys like the Autosave feature existing in modern games? Do you/will you keep it on or off?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I never had any issues with Auto Save because I can sometimes forget myself to save or can't remember if I saved or not.

Years
  • i genuinely forgot autosave was a thing because iirc when it was first revealed with swsh there were rumours that it bricked/bugged your game or something and ever since hearing that i've never used it lol...

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Turns it off. Worries about accidentally using a rare item (like a Master Ball) or leveling past a cap. Becomes permanent with an ill-timed auto-save.

Does not mind its existence. Meshes better with some other people, undoubtedly.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i definitely see where it's helpful bc i'm the type that saves like 3 times before i shut a game off aha. i usually don't use this in pokemon though, i just see where it might mess me up more often than it would help me.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't like auto-save in this kind of games. Sometimes I might want to redo a battle because I won by pure luck, or want to test a different strategy, or check what are the next gym leader's levels; or may have used an item on the wrong Pokémon, or accidentally get caught in a battle I wanted to leave for later (to prevent overlevelling, for example). And let's not even talk about accidentally defeating a legendary or failing to catch it and running out of Balls :)

So, no thanks. I prefer to decide if and when I want to save.

sniebel

[color=#A75757]ニューラ[/color]
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2022
    Turned it off and forget the feature ever existed.
    I'll likely keep it that way in future games so I don't accidentally lock myself out of being able to reset for certain natures.

Years
  • Had it on for my Shield playthrough.
    Turned it off in Postgame for Den Hunting and Shiny hunting.

I do not mind it's existence. It is convenient.

Years
  • Turned it off and forget the feature ever existed.
    I'll likely keep it that way in future games so I don't accidentally lock myself out of being able to reset for certain natures.

Aha basically this for me too. I can't imagine resetting for x nature only to be locked into something else. Well I can but.. then I'll need to fix it later, and that might be more time/effort than just resetting. :droplet: The worst is not being able to catch a legend like omg. Autosave is a bad idea in those cases, unless it's actually made so it doesn't autosave at the end of things like that.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Autosave gets turned off immediately. With the amount of time I spend resetting for correct natures, good stats, etc., having the game save itself is more harm than good.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I don't mind auto-save really, it really handy in case you already clear the area from evil team or clear a gym and realize I forget to save and the burden of starting over. It really convenient but it may not be for Gen4 remakes as an article mentioned about snowpoint gym softlock, so it just boiling down to disaster

Back