• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Hopeless Trainer Editor

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024

The Hopeless Trainer Editor

Hello! I'm just going to keep this nice and short: after being disappointed by existing trainer editors, I made my own. I've tested it myself, and I have yet to encounter any problems both in-game and with the tool.

Features

• Edit trainers and their Pokémon
  • Import/export
  • Repoints only when it needs to
  • Should work with all non-Japanese games, .ini only contains info for English games
  • Simple trainer randomizer
  • Manually change party offset

Screens

A screenshot of the main interface.
Spoiler:

Downloads

v1.0: Available on github.
The program was designed for .NET Framework 4.6.1. If you do not have an updated version it WILL NOT WORK due to incompatibility with older versions of the framework.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Looks Promising

I'll test it out and let you know what I think.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Now we have Advance, Unnamed, G3T, and now this one? But wait! Dowloaded and tested it. Whoa! This is really way ultimate. Nice job Lost Heart! I'd like the way it uses pointers instead of data. That's what I want to see it in tools nowadays (like I have seen it also in G3T) because it gets so tired replacing offsets to the new data if it is too much.

Suggestion: a search engine to look for Trainers by names or ID number.

One bug though: I opened Emerald then I open FireRed (and vice versa). The Trainer Class list doesn't change (but it changed in textbox). And Emerald's Trainer Count should be 855 not 743?

Last edited:

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
This looks really good! Good job. One question though, does it support extended Mon's, moves etc?
Edit: Nevermind saw the ini :P

Years
I love this! It's got my favourite UI of any Trainer editor out there, and it's functionality is great so far.

One question, though: could you make it so users can specify Pokémon for a Trainer's team using the species # instead of just their name? For example if I have two Basculin which share the same name, being able to specify which one in particular would be very useful.

Other than that, I can't think of anything necessary to improve it! :D

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Now we have Advance, Unnamed, G3T, and now this one? But wait! Dowloaded and tested it. Whoa! This is really way ultimate. Nice job Lost Heart! I'd like the way it uses pointers instead of data. That's what I want to see it in tools nowadays (like I have seen it also in G3T) because it gets so tired replacing offsets to the new data if it is too much.

Suggestion: a search engine to look for Trainers by names or ID number.

Thanks! And I definitely agree this should be a feature! Hopefully I can get together a quick solution.

One bug though: I opened Emerald then I open FireRed (and vice versa). The Trainer Class list doesn't change (but it changed in textbox). And Emerald's Trainer Count should be 855 not 743?

Thanks for catching that! I forgot to clear the list of class names on each load... :\

This looks really good! Good job. One question though, does it support extended Mon's, moves etc?
Edit: Nevermind saw the ini :P

Thanks for the support! :)

I love this! It's got my favourite UI of any Trainer editor out there, and it's functionality is great so far.

One question, though: could you make it so users can specify Pokémon for a Trainer's team using the species # instead of just their name? For example if I have two Basculin which share the same name, being able to specify which one in particular would be very useful.

Other than that, I can't think of anything necessary to improve it! :D

Thanks! One of my goals for this was making sure the UI was easy to use. And I can definitely add a specification for species number.

what does this have over UTE?

Nothing in particular, though I think the way I handle the saving of data is a bit better.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
This is a stellar trainer editor. What I would appreciate more than anything, though, is if you ported this out of .NET and into a platform-independent language so it can be adjusted to compile on Linux, OS X, etc. I'd recommend D but I know how you feel about that - maybe try Python, or C++? I don't know.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
This is a stellar trainer editor. What I would appreciate more than anything, though, is if you ported this out of .NET and into a platform-independent language so it can be adjusted to compile on Linux, OS X, etc. I'd recommend D but I know how you feel about that - maybe try Python, or C++? I don't know.

I'd certainly like that to be the next step, but I first want to make sure all the bugs are ironed out before I go around porting it. And I'm not opposed to D at all, I'd just need to learn it better.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Okay, I'm just letting you all know that I've uploaded version 0.9.1! It has all the features/fixes that were brought up--luckily they were not too hard to implement.

This means:
  • The class names thing is fixed.
  • You can now select species by index number.
  • You can search for trainers by name and index number.
  • Emerald's ini data hopefully has the right number of trainers.
  • Bonus: The Pokémon sprite now disappears when you load a new trainer.

Please let me know of any issues you have! :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Love it, the UI is much nicer looking than G3T. Hope you can make it even better!

Little problem I found, if you change any of the number values (by typing in a new number, NOT using the arrows) like intro music, ai or trainer sprite and then click save, it doesn't actually save. You need to do this and then switch to another field before it's "counted" as being changed. A bit confusing but you should be able to see what I mean, just try to change the trainer sprite or something by typing in a new number. The sprite doesn't actually change until you hit enter.

Also, It would be nice if the search function worked using enter or a button, with the way it's set up currently there's no way to find names that appear more than once in the rom.

Years
Awesome, finally a trainer editor with a search function. Everything seems fine, however there are two things that bug me.
First, some move names are too long to fit into a text box. I'd suggest making the text boxes a little bigger.
I'd also appreciate if you added a button allowing you to automatically find 4 moves a Pokemon would have at its level even if you ticked custom attacks.
Overall, it's a pretty nice tool. I'm definitely going to use this.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Why you named it 'Hopless'?? It is awesome trainer editor !!

Because my username used to be "Hopeless Masquerade". It doesn't really have anything to do with how good/bad it is. ;)

Love it, the UI is much nicer looking than G3T. Hope you can make it even better!

Little problem I found, if you change any of the number values (by typing in a new number, NOT using the arrows) like intro music, ai or trainer sprite and then click save, it doesn't actually save. You need to do this and then switch to another field before it's "counted" as being changed. A bit confusing but you should be able to see what I mean, just try to change the trainer sprite or something by typing in a new number. The sprite doesn't actually change until you hit enter.

Also, It would be nice if the search function worked using enter or a button, with the way it's set up currently there's no way to find names that appear more than once in the rom.

Yeah, I know what you mean. That's a problem with the control itself and the way Microsoft has it set up. But, it shouldn't be too hard to make it function like desired.
And you're right for the search thing, so I'll look into it.

Awesome, finally a trainer editor with a search function. Everything seems fine, however there are two things that bug me.
First, some move names are too long to fit into a text box. I'd suggest making the text boxes a little bigger.
I'd also appreciate if you added a button allowing you to automatically find 4 moves a Pokemon would have at its level even if you ticked custom attacks.
Overall, it's a pretty nice tool. I'm definitely going to use this.

Yes, I know the comboboxes do not show the full length of the name some times. However, I have it set up so that if you do show all the move so you can change one the options will not appear cut-off. Making them bigger would require reworking a lot of the UI.

As for the button, I like the idea but it seems a bit unnecessary. The whole point of custom moves is so you can have a unique moveset, not the generic attacks. If there was enough interest I might reconsider, but not right now.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
Another Lost Heart tool! And it's as good as all the others :D I love the tool, it has pretty much everything I wanted in a Trainer Editor. Is it alright if I suggest a few things? Okay:

● An autosave feature. Sometimes, manually clicking save to keep the changes seems a bit on the tedious side. If you change trainers, it will save automatically. If the trainer needs repointing because it's too big, then the dialouge box will show up. Have the autosave feature as a toggle check box?

● Expand and add even more trainers, if that already isn't a feature. Moves and repoints the trainer table. Kind of like the "Expand Pokémon" button from GH3S.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Another Lost Heart tool! And it's as good as all the others :D I love the tool, it has pretty much everything I wanted in a Trainer Editor. Is it alright if I suggest a few things? Okay:

● An autosave feature. Sometimes, manually clicking save to keep the changes seems a bit on the tedious side. If you change trainers, it will save automatically. If the trainer needs repointing because it's too big, then the dialouge box will show up. Have the autosave feature as a toggle check box?

I'd really rather not have an auto-save feature. The current saving method is set up with repointing in mind: I want to make it so you only have to repoint when you absolutely need to. As it is, you can change the format and the number of Pokémon, and then it will determine whether a repoint is necessary. Repointing with every change will just complicate things unnecessarily and probably waste space in the ROM.

● Expand and add even more trainers, if that already isn't a feature. Moves and repoints the trainer table. Kind of like the "Expand Pokémon" button from GH3S.

This is actually impossible right now. The game has pretty strict limiters in the memory that limits the number of flags available for trainers (which store win/not encountered status), and the process of adjusting said memory is beyond our (meaning the community's) capabilities because of how much space is needed. Or something like that. If/when this becomes possible, you can bet that I will include such a feature! :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Are you planning on releasing the source code? It would help for porting over to a cross-platformable language.

Also, I think you've done an amazing job here. It looks great and has a lot of really nice features (love the searching addition).

Yeah, I will. I want to get it cleaned up and such first, because the coding is really messy right now. But sooner or later, yes. I will release the source.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
This is actually impossible right now. The game has pretty strict limiters in the memory that limits the number of flags available for trainers (which store win/not encountered status), and the process of adjusting said memory is beyond our (meaning the community's) capabilities because of how much space is needed. Or something like that. If/when this becomes possible, you can bet that I will include such a feature! :)[/QUOTE]

Hmm, isn't this included in A-trainer? Or is that broken?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
This is actually impossible right now. The game has pretty strict limiters in the memory that limits the number of flags available for trainers (which store win/not encountered status), and the process of adjusting said memory is beyond our (meaning the community's) capabilities because of how much space is needed. Or something like that. If/when this becomes possible, you can bet that I will include such a feature! :)

Hmm, isn't this included in A-trainer? Or is that broken?[/QUOTE]

It's broken in A-Trainer obviously. If you use one of those trainers it starts overwriting bytes in RAM and stuff. It also starts to bug out data, so some Pokémon would have random held items that aren't actually in trainer data, probably because of RAM again or limiters. Same for trainers, they'd try to use revives or shards or something but it wouldn't do anything.

Back