• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why Does Gen 4 Feel So Off-Putting?

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2018
    I read stuff like this on a couple of other threads too. Despite being my first and favorite games in the series, there's just so much about Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum that doesn't feel right. The music in certain places, such as Eterna Forest, and the Old Chateau, is just so unnerving. The Void Glitch feels pretty creepy too, not to mention all the random locations put into the middle of the "Mystery Zone". Also, not to mention the themes of time and space add to the strange atmosphere that the game puts on. Finally, I can't pinpoint exact ones, but there are certain towns and cities that for some reason I just don't like being in for too long. Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Years
  • gotta be honest, i've never really questioned much of anything in sinnoh. what specific towns and cities do you think just don't belong there?

i also understand old chateau being rather... unnerving. even by pokemon standards id rather not go through there at night myself. :x

Sean

Years
  • The games are extremely slow. I think this is the reason why so many people disregard gen 4 as the best gen purely based off how obnoxiously slow the game is

Years
  • The games are extremely slow. I think this is the reason why so many people disregard gen 4 as the best gen purely based off how obnoxiously slow the game is

is it? this is the first time ive seen someone have a concern in regards to the pacing of the game

not trying to dismiss your concerns or anything, but tons of people put gen 4 on a pedestal so this comes off as surprising to me :o

ChaddyCFC

Veteran PokéNerd
    Years
  • Gen 4 has always been my favourite. It's the first one that got everything right and they should have stuck with that formula moving forward. Instead they started introducing ridiculous things like mega evolution and Z moves.

Years
    • Online now
    Gen 4 had memorable areas. The Old Chateau was one of my favorite places from any of the games.

Gen 4 has always been my favourite. It's the first one that got everything right and they should have stuck with that formula moving forward. Instead they started introducing ridiculous things like mega evolution and Z moves.

Out of curiosity, what's the reason you find mega evolution ridiculous?

Years
  • I'm with Sean's statement. I feel the likely reason behind 4th Gen often being off-putting was because of how slow the games moved (especially Diamond/Pearl) and how long Sinnoh's story was, due to all the backtracking.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I think the only thing I found off-putting about Pearl was how slowly the game saved. xD

Honestly, there's nothing about the game that didn't appeal to me. The graphics are so smooth, vibrant and easy on the eyes, which can also be said for the Pokémon introduced! :b Although, since I never had access to WiFi, being excluded from certain things in the game was one downside for me. :( Still, never mind, eh?

is it? this is the first time ive seen someone have a concern in regards to the pacing of the game

Hmm, I can understand if people find battling a little tedious. If you've seen Zootopia, imagine the sloths, and apply that to the battle speed, haha. n__n; It's almost funny how slow the HP goes down! When Black/White came out, it took me a looong time to get used to how much faster it was.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    The old chateu was creepy yes. But the sluggish battle system was my main gripe with Gen 4.

My favorite game: HeartGold is Gen 4 so I guess it also gave me that.

Years
  • I have never heard DPPt described as off-putting. I know the save times were slow, and surf times were rough, but all that cosmetic stuff was pretty well remedied in Platinum. TBH I find the graphics more aesthetically pleasing than B/W :x

Maybe I have nostalgia goggles on. Perhaps I should replay Platinum and see if it holds up to my memory.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I take it that by "off-putting" the OP meant something more like creepy and wasn't commenting on game speed/loading times/"things that don't belong"/etc

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
    Years
  • Gen 4 really did seem different I'm not sure I would describe it as off-putting though... Not to say that it wasn't SFC, and then there was Giratina, who is like Pokësatan and arceus, who is pokègod. Which definitely added to the "off-puttingness" of the region

ChaddyCFC

Veteran PokéNerd
    Years
  • Just not a fan over having like over the top versions of the same Pokemon. I'd rather just put the effort into making more new Pokemon instead.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Just not a fan over having like over the top versions of the same Pokemon. I'd rather just put the effort into making more new Pokemon instead.

Gen IV cross gen evolutions were pretty over the top. Not that I like the idea of megas, but I've grown use it, and some of the designs are good.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    Although I don't necessarily agree with OP (in terms of finding it unnerving) could one of the reasons be that DP Pokémon sprites are different? I was trading my Pearl Pokémon through to Heart Gold and there is a noticeable difference. I rather liked the DP sprites and regret that the changed in the newer games of the same gen.

Back