• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    From what I've heard, The Walking Dead suffers from quite a few framerate issues (That's actually a Telltale signature since even The Wolf Among Us seems to suffer from those) on handheld or portable devices. Personally I played it on an iPad and it did suffer from occasion framerate dips and that can be pretty jarring for a game like The Walking Dead.

Heard some really good things about Persona 4. Sad that Atlus didn't get it on PSN as a PS2 classic.

EDIT: Agree with Spino, though I'd say hold off on the PS4 for a couple more months until it gets a slightly better library than now. The PS3 has an amazing collection of exclusives, but that depends on your tastes. If action adventure or more "realistic" games are your thing, then PS3 is highly recommended.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'd say Rayman Origins Vita is the best version of that game as well.

Portability > Resolution. Besides, it looks REALLY good on the OLED anyway, and it runs at a smooth 60fps. The only real downer about it is the lack of multiplayer.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Yeah, though I wouldn't be surprised if they did make P4 a Classic, what with all of the recent P3/P4 pushing they've been doing. Though I feel that if they weren't going to do it, it'd probably be because they want to drive the sales of the Vita and Persona 4 Golden. After all, they basically made Persona 4 The Animation and Persona 4 Arena as a means of raising awareness as to what Persona 4 is, and given the fact that Persona 3 FES is all of $5 on PSN, I'm not too surprised that it's not a PS2 Classic.

Not that it's too much of a loss. As much as I like the original, the new one is a lot better, and though I miss old Chie's voice (not saying her new voice is bad, they actually both fit her character really well, though in very different ways) and the original ending theme there's just too much added to not make me recommend it over the original. Plus, it has Vita TV support, so if it doesn't fail people can play it as if it were a Console game (which, from a new consumer standpoint, would effectively make the original obsolete).

...But I'm pretty sure they haven't made it a classic for the sake of sales. Golden is the more expensive option, and they don't want people choosing the original as an alternative to buying a Vita and getting Golden (or just getting Golden).

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I still need to get around to playing P4G. I started it and haven't touched it in about a year. Right now I have two super-huge RPGs (P4G and Xenoblade) to beat (not to mention the ridiculous number of other RPGs on my backlog, but those are the two really, really long ones) and I'm farther along in Xenoblade. So I doubt I get around to Persona until I beat Xeno. I'd like to do both at some point this year though.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Eh, I didn't think it was particularly bad. It was a fun idea, and that alone works in context. Never got past the beginning, but I might give it a shot again sometime. Though, from what I played, it really does seem like an idea that could have grown far beyond the scope it was given, and even now it has the potential to be great, should the creator seek to continue the series. It felt caged, and if the action mechanics were expanded upon and the world opened up and became less restrictive, I could see something good coming out of it.
    GR has planned sequel... no one knows about it much though...

Hmm i havent played Gravity Rush yet...since its for free this month, ill try it out :D
    It's free for like year and half xD Sony is too lazy to change it and Uncharted xD

Don't go expecting Ac Attorney + Zero Escape going into Danganronpa, go in expecting a game that can hold its own ground. That said, it definitely isn't nearly as good as AA or ZE from a writing perspective. I found the murders to be very basic and easy to solve, but that makes it accessible to newcomers. Characters also tend to be one-dimensional save for some exceptions, you won't find someone in the caliber of Edgeworth or Gumshoe.
    You cannot expect something in terms of writing to be even close to Zero Escape...

Is the PS Vita worth buying? Just curious as it's a system that I've overlooked, and was wondering if there were any good portable games on there that are worth getting.
    I will say it directly... Vita is a system for, as some intact people would say, weebs.
    Unless you are fan or JRPGs and other Japanese games, you probably won't like Vita that much.

Hyperdimension Neptunia,
    Not until NISA starts working...

Heard some really good things about Persona 4. Sad that Atlus didn't get it on PSN as a PS2 classic.
    Since P3FES was just put as PS2 classic it may not be far.
    But in my opinion Atlus won't do it as it may affect sales of P4G and I'm pretty sure they don't want to risk it.
    I presume that if P4 ever made it to PSN... it would be between 10-15$ which is significantly cheaper than 40$ for P4G...
    And people who just want to try Persona would surely go for P4 rather than P4G.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    You cannot expect something in terms of writing to be even close to Zero Escape...
    In games, it's up there, but...
    Hotel Dusk and Ace Attorney have much better characterizations.
    Hotel Dusk is also more mature and refined in its writing.
    Ace Attorney is better paced.
    Both Hotel Dusk and Ace Attorney have better dialog as well.

When it comes to shock value, scenarios and twists, it's definitely one of the best. But I really think 999 is a bit inconsistent in its writing. The pacing issue doesn't help either.

Hotel Dusk still stands as my favorite visual novel.
    tumblr_inline_mi4uqlUhFm1qz4rgp.gif

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    If we're talking about VG writing quality then I'd definitely put Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions up there. It's almost surprising how well written it is considering most medieval themed games use an awful modern vernacular with a "thou" or "milord" shoehorned periodically.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's Final Fantasy XIII. I actually liked the world and the characters, but the awful writing hampers the whole experience. I'd find better storytelling in a DMC game.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Yeah, Hotel Dusk and its sequel Last Window were both better than 999 imo. The characters were pretty damn good in both of these and very well written with their secrets, past and their interaction with Kyle. 999 was a good thriller but it did suffer from some pacing issues like Spino said.

Talking about good VG writing I really liked the writing in L.A. Noire and Bioshock Infinite. Also The Walking Dead was also pretty great. Annnd the Mass Effect series if we just ignore that godawful ending. I think Mass Effect 2 was pretty great in terms of writing.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • For those of you who've played the Final Fantasy games, which ones would you say is your most recommended ones to play? I figured that I should try to get into the FF series, but, only played about 2-3 games so far.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to games in the Final Fantasy series, I would recommend Final Fantasy IV the most. It was the first Final Fantasy game I played. Plus it has been released on at least ten different systems over the years. It has an interesting cast of characters, including the badass dragoon Kain Highwind and the spoony bard Edward. Plus the plot is very good.

Years
  • For those of you who've played the Final Fantasy games, which ones would you say is your most recommended ones to play? I figured that I should try to get into the FF series, but, only played about 2-3 games so far.

I've never played any of the ones before Final Fantasy 8 :c But am I the minority here in saying that that, is one of the better ones with a decent story? >< That and I actually enjoyed 13-2 significantly more than it's predecessor. 10 is a must! Finished that game in 3 days this weekend and currently working on the side-quests and those ultimate weapons OTL

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I haven't played a lot of FF, but I've played III, IV and XII. All 3 are great. IV is a lot better than III though, and XII is a departure from the usual turn based system of FF so if you don't like that then don't play XII. I personally enjoyed it quite a lot, didn't finish it though but what I played was pretty enjoyable.

Also the fan favorites are VII, VIII, IX and X. And VI, iirc. All these are said to be the peak of the FF series.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    VIII is definitely not one of them lol.

The general consensus is that VI is the best with IX close behind.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • So Facebook just bought out the Oculus Rift for $2 billion, which the timing is very interesting considering Sony just unveiled Project Morpheus. Thoughts?

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • I'd say you should try out FF IV and VI, they're my personal favorites even more than VII. As far as spin-offs go, Crisis Core hands down with Dissidia close behind.

Also FF IV - Complete Collection is worth a shot!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • VIII is definitely not one of them lol.

The general consensus is that VI is the best with IX close behind.
    IX? From what I've seen, VI and IV (in that order) are the ones that get the most non-VII fan love, though IX does get a lot of respect from fans. V, too, though to a lesser extent, and the original III is also pretty famous for its improvements.

But my favorite FF is probably Dissidia Duodecim, for reasons I stated in a previous post in a thread about FF:
    Dissidia Duodecim is easily my favorite Final Fantasy title. The idea of putting a bunch of characters from different games or universes into a single game has been done time and again, but Dissidia handles this fantastically well. Not only does Dissidia manage to be the most varied Fighting game series that I've ever played, as well as being the most innovative 360 degree Fighting game I've played in years (and the fighting game that Dragon Ball Z should be- well, at least the Tenkaichi series), but it also manages to create a very tight and compelling narrative that pulls the player in regardless of whether they've played mainline Final Fantasy games or not.

Even more on this, it takes characters who previously had little, weak, or in some cases obnoxious personalities (either out of intention or otherwise), such as the Cloud of Darkness, Vaan, and Tidus, and making them into stronger characters, even if they don't have very much story presence or, in their respective original games, didn't have their own personalities because they weren't technically actual characters (this being the case with the Warrior of Light and the Onion Knight). The story's premise is simple, but it finds most of its attraction value in making it a character's game, largely about what they fight for and putting their dreams and motives (or lack thereof) headfirst, largely being the cause of most of the story's growth and development. It's really interesting, for a Final Fantasy game such as this to feature the amount of character development that it does, both on the level of forming relationships with other characters and in finding themselves. The game also does a great job of making the interactions between the surprisingly human antagonists and the protagonists both tension filled and contrarily casual, largely due to the nature of the premise.

I never had a PSP before, so it wasn't until early this year that I got to buy it on my Vita, and I definitely recommend it to any Final Fantasy fan or...pretty much anyone that has a PSP/PSV/PPSSPP.

Apart from that, as much as I understand why people don't like (or overly love) Final Fantasy VII, I really like it. Storywise, it's behind IV for me (and I have yet to play VI), as well as IX. Gameplay-wise, it's behind V, Dissidia Duodecim, X-2, and Lightning Returns. And yet, it's still a solid title. Has one of my favorite OSTs in the series and I like the materia system and the secrets. But all of the listed titles are my favorite FFs, all of the ones I mentioned, and in no particular order, though Tactics A2 (which I didn't mention), the unique, fun, and flawed LR, and IV would probably be near the top.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Thing about IV is that I also see a fair share of criticism towards it (that I don't disagree with either). I see nothing but praise for VI though, and maybe I'm misremembering things but I only see praise for IX too.

GT did a list of top 10 FF games and VI, IX and IV were the top 3 in that order. What struck me out about the list was the fact most agreed with it which is...unusual for a GT list.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back