• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RIP #ThePokeCommunity IRC Channel

Years
  • For those who don't know, before the popular Discord chat we have today, the go-to chat [outside of MSN/AIM] was our IRC Chat.

When I first joined in 2006, we were on the DejaToons server. In late October of 2007, after #PokeCommunity was taken over by someone who shall not be named, we moved to SystemNet under #ThePokeCommunity. BulbaGarden had just moved to this server a few months prior, and Rukario was good friends with the server owner at the time.

SystemNet, however, will be closed effective June 1, 2018 - thus, no more #ThePokeCommunity.

I spent my most of my adolescence (from 13/14 - 19/20) on IRC, making friends such as Aoriaku, Audy, Scizz, Signomi, Laslow, Sylphiel, colours, Chibi-chan, Loquacity, Amachi, Cooks, and so many more. Even though I haven't been on it actively in a few years, it's super weird to think of it as going away for good.

Discord, while an effective replacement for the functionality IRC, will never take IRC's place in my heart.

Do you have any fond memories of #PokeCommunity or #ThePokeCommunity? Any quotes you might still have some place?

ETA:
    This is PC's last channel topic:

This is PC's last member listing:

Last edited:
    Years
  • i was a cringeworthy teenager during most of my irc years. got into a lot of drama and all that. 'twas very interesting days.

i gotta admit it does feel odd that it'll be going away for good, though.

Years
  • best quotes:
    [@Cowrie] hold on shut up and let me maneuver around my tacos
    [@Cowrie] >:0

[~Nozomu] When did Sarah start looking ugly
    [+Sedusa] SMG was never PRETTY
    [%Audy] Yeah that's a pretty bad picture :x
    [%Audy] She has a weir--- OH GOD MY DOG JUST FARTED
    [%Audy] AAAAH I'M DYING
    [%Audy] SWEET JESUS

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Please tell me I have misunderstood this post...

I have to ask this as well. Is this strictly some Discord or IRC thing and not the site itself? I'm pretty sure that's the case, as it's pretty inactive and casual to be the latter, to be honest. But hey, I'm a N00b, I don't know the goings on here yet.

Last edited:
    Years
  • this is referring to the IRC channel and not the site itself

i understand how it may be confusing considering it came before many users' time here. :P

Thank you so much Colours for setting the record straight. After nearly losing our home here at pokecommunity earlier this year I was still experiencing some shell shock and worried that my family here might go away. It seems not along ago that we just got you and many others back for good. Thank you again. I'm not glad that a channel that others had fond memories of is closing, but I'm glad that at least it is the only thing that will come to an end.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I practically grew up with #tpc, both on DejaToons and Systemnet. Some of my best and most absolutely horrifyingly embarrassing memories are thanks to #tpc.

So sad beyond words to see it go, and I miss so many of the friends I made there. Part of me thought it'd always be around, but I guess sometimes it's best to move on... :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • I remember the days of our crazy IRC chats, they were great.

Sad to see it go!

EDIT - I discovered this in my profile album...taken April 22, 2008 - over ten years ago!

Ohhhh, UPP.

21:12 • IchaPekonsi sets mode [+qo Signomi Signomi]
    21:12 • Signomi sets mode [+b ~q:*!*@slasher.blue]
    21:12 • Signomi sets mode [-o Signomi]
    21:12 [~Signomi] Signomi, you are silenced for 10 minute(s). Do not attempt to evade.

Years
  • I practically grew up with #tpc, both on DejaToons and Systemnet. Some of my best and most absolutely horrifyingly embarrassing memories are thanks to #tpc.

So sad beyond words to see it go, and I miss so many of the friends I made there. Part of me thought it'd always be around, but I guess sometimes it's best to move on... :)
    While I'm happy to have been there for all of your moments, I still cringe when I think about all of mine...!

I'd say it certainly paved the way for some real long lasting friendships.

Ohhhh, UPP.

21:12 • IchaPekonsi sets mode [+qo Signomi Signomi]
    21:12 • Signomi sets mode [+b ~q:*!*@slasher.blue]
    21:12 • Signomi sets mode [-o Signomi]
    21:12 [~Signomi] Signomi, you are silenced for 10 minute(s). Do not attempt to evade.

Those scripts...

*headdesk*

Years
  • Wow, RIP SystemNet.

I still have an IRC server myself, but that's only a side addition to what else runs on my space. :P

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • IRC to the book of history. :(

Yeah, I had some...weird memories on there too. Especially around 2011-2012?? I made good friends on there, though!

You won't be forgotten, SystemNet.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • rip. :(

I used it for a few weeks at a time on several occasions--usually like once a year I'd get really into it, and then slowly lose interest or time to be active. But I always really liked going in there to chat with people and the regulars were such good friends, the fun mood really rubbed off on everyone.

My fondest memories were updating the stats every hour to see if you went up in the stats ranks and laugh at the random quotes it pulled for everyone.

Years
  • I'd also like to pay homage to Draelen, original founder of SystemNet, and had been with us since #PokeCommunity first got its real start late 2005. He unfortunately passed away some years back.

For me personally I'd say he was the one largely responsible for bringing about the community we had in #tpc as it did start off as a dead space at the time.

My entry into the channel started around December 2005 when I followed Forest Grovyle there and we both commented at how absolutely. dead. it. was. I figured it was because it was new at the time but as more people curiously decided to try it, the same people ended up sticking around after he brought out TriviaBot—basically your Pokémon-related question and answer bot that everybody had fun with.

Incidentally he created the Chat Stats page where we could check our rankings on the channel's activity. How many words we typed, how active we were, etc... Needless to say, some of us were no-life hardgainers on those statistics.

Rest In Peace, Draelen. And thank you for all the memories you've brought us with your weird, dragon-obsessed geekery.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Probably the best log I've ever done ever

[10:45.10] <&Audy> oh did I ever show you this?
    [10:45.11] <&Audy> https://www.pokecommunity.com/misc.php?do=mebaby
    [10:45.11] <%Ceriflor> oooooh
    [10:45.13] <%Ceriflor> thank you :)
    [10:45.24] <%Ceriflor> what the f...
    [10:45.27] <&Audy> I was really high when I coded it so the formatting of the page is terrifying
    [10:45.27] <&Audy> but
    [10:45.33] <&Audy> it's a monthly breakdown of your activity
    [10:45.37] <%Ceriflor> i...
    [10:45.44] <%Ceriflor> im high right now and this is seriously terrifying
    [10:45.57] <%Ceriflor> why is it comic sans
    [10:46.12] <&Audy> I don't know :(
    [10:46.16] <%Ceriflor> jesus i made 1079 posts one month
    [10:46.22] <&Audy> wait
    [10:46.24] <&Audy> of all of the things
    [10:46.29] <&Audy> comic sans is the one you complain about??
    [10:46.34] <%Ceriflor> are you really surprised????
    [10:46.41] <Team_Fail> Audy: Saw that and i was so damn confused lmao
    [10:46.53] <%Ceriflor> do you remember how much i used to whine about the fonts jake would use in his themes
    [10:47.01] <%Ceriflor> i'm still mad about that one font in that green theme
    [10:47.06] <&Audy> there's a legion of nicholas cage bowing to a naked kim jong un statue and you complain about the FONT

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • For those who don't know, before the popular Discord chat we have today, the go-to chat [outside of MSN/AIM] was our IRC Chat.

When I first joined in 2006, we were on the DejaToons server. In late October of 2007, after #PokeCommunity was taken over by someone who shall not be named, we moved to SystemNet under #ThePokeCommunity. BulbaGarden had just moved to this server a few months prior, and Rukario was good friends with the server owner at the time.

SystemNet, however, will be closed effective June 1, 2018 - thus, no more #ThePokeCommunity.

I spent my most of my adolescence (from 13/14 - 19/20) on IRC, making friends such as Aoriaku, Audy, Scizz, Signomi, Laslow, Sylphiel, colours, Chibi-chan, Loquacity, Amachi, Cooks, and so many more. Even though I haven't been on it actively in a few years, it's super weird to think of it as going away for good.

Discord, while an effective replacement for the functionality IRC, will never take IRC's place in my heart.

Do you have any fond memories of #PokeCommunity or #ThePokeCommunity? Any quotes you might still have some place?

ETA:
    This is PC's last channel topic:

This is PC's last member listing:

Oh snap.. it's gone now? Well I don't think I had any cringeworthy moments but there used to be a lot of drama on there... but I really enjoyed being able to talk to people real-time!

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Oh Rip
    I was never active on it but I popped on like, 3 times to see what it's like

Back