• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

blood in video games

Years
  • how much blood/gore can you handle in a video game before it becomes too much? id much rather you don't go into specific examples of blood/gore (because gross) but rather explain your tolerance levels for it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I feel like the most I could ever tolerate was in the Devil May Cry games tbh

.... that's probably not a whole lot compared to other games out there isn't it? I'm just kind of a squeamish person. :x

Years
  • I've never played something so gross I've stopped playing. I always turned the blood up on Tony Hawk games because it was funny but i guess that's different to gore.

They should add gore to sports games like PES.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Well, out of the games I've played so far none of them has had so much blood to where I had to put down the game or anything. So honestly I can't really tell you a limit without finding said limit haha. That said I have a high tolerance to seeing blood in movies and such so I imagine video games would be the same deal.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    There's a time and a place. Seeing grotesque body horror in a Mario game would be pretty unsettling, but in Resident Evil it's par for the course. As long as the amount of blood/gore matches the thematic elements of the game, I don't see there being 'too much', really.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • I don't mind too much, but I do have a limit.
    An example would be in Mortal Kombat with those X-Rays. Oh god that scares me..
    Also anything that has to do with organs. No thanks I don't want any. X_X
    But blood in general is fine I guess.

Years
  • I remember back in last year's E3 (?) iirc The Last of Us 2 was shown or something and it had this really bloody scene that I could barely stand to see. idk if that's part for the course for that game in particular but it really put me off touching that game. ._.

Years
  • Awh man, the Fatalities are the best part of the Mortal Kombat series!!!!

To actually answer the question rather than troll Disturbed - gore I can tolerate infinitely, give me creepy atmosphere however.........that's a whole different ballgame.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i haven't played a lot of games with excessive amounts of blood. i can tolerate it as long as it's not all over the place though. like persona 5 had a few bloody scenes, one of which very intense, and i survived. lol

Years
  • Oh for real though when I first saw those scenes in P5 I was shocked considering the game they were in...

...shoutouts to best video game blood effects btw:

giphy.gif

(is it bad that despite it being a silent GIF, the entire scene is playing in my head with the sound effects, music and all?)

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I'm unfazed by blood and gore in video games, even in stuff like Mortal Kombat. I might be grossed out by certain details, but never to the point where I'm put off.

Years
  • I've yet to come across a game that was too gory for me. Not bothered by the fatalities in Mortal Kombat or anything.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • I'm easily grossed out in all honesty; it took me a while to get used to the blood splashes in Monster Hunter, of all games. But I agree that context matters too. The Witcher 3 made me unbearably disgusted at times, but it was never completely off-putting because... I can't exactly explain why, but the gore was alright because it seemed to make sense in the context it was presented.

Definitely not true for Mortal Kombat though. I made the mistake of popping in at a lunch table in high school when Mortal Kombat X came out, and I couldn't handle the total, needless brutality of the Fatalities for longer than half a minute. One that I saw in particular is still burned into my mind, and it makes me sick if I dwell on it too long to this day.

Back