• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Sony Increases PS5 Price In Select Regions Due To "Economic Environment"

Years
  • Sony officially announced in a new statement that they have decided to increase the price of PS5 in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, Asia-Pacific, and Canada due to the global economic environment and high inflation rates. The US prices will remain untouched.

According to the statement, the increase in price is a result of the critical financial situation in the aforementioned regions and the high inflation rates which are apparently pressurizing Sony and its subsidiaries. The price increase covers almost all regions in the world except for the US.

The new prices are effective immediately in order to avoid any chances of scalping consoles, but the only exception is Japan, where the new prices will be applied from September 15, 2022.

The price increase in Europe is around 10% as the Disc Drive version of PS5 has now been priced at €549.99, which is €50 more than the original price. For UK residents, however, the price increase is around 6%, as the Disc Drive version will now be sold at the retail price of £479.99.

Below, you can check out the new prices for PlayStation 5:

Europe
    PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99 (Originally, €499.99)
    PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99 (Originally, €399.99)

UK
    PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99 (Originally, £449.99)
    PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99 (Originally, £359.99)

Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
    PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
    PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)

China
    PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
    PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan

Australia
    PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
    PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95

Mexico
    PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
    PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499

Canada
    PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99 (Originally, $629.99)
    PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99 (Originally, $499.99)

It is yet to be seen whether Sony will eventually increase prices in the US or not, but the inflation rate in the US doesn't seem to be as critical as that of Europe and the UK for now. Also, the competition with the Xbox Series X|S consoles in the US might be another reason for Sony to avoid an increase in price.

Sony has been struggling with the hardware shortage issue for an entire year now, which forces the company to limit its PS5 production despite a huge request in the market for the new gaming console.

It remains unknown whether we would see an increase in the price of other gaming consoles such as the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S in the European countries anytime soon, but Microsoft might keep the price at the same amount to increase its presence in the European market.

Currently, an Xbox Series S can be purchased for the retail price of €269.99 in Europe, while the cheapest version of PS5 costs €449.99.
    source: Dualshockers

pkmin3033

Let's be honest here: this is absolute bullshit. It has nothing to do with inflation, that's a thinly veiled excuse to increase prices. We've already seen Sony's greed with the increase in prices for first party titles, and more recently with their subscription service. It's undeniable that production costs are increasing, but as always it's the consumer that shoulders the burden so that the greedy bastards who earn more money in a month than most people see in a lifetime can keep living their luxury lifestyles. It's corporate greed, plain and simple.

It's just unfortunate that the impact this dick move will have on Sony's sales will be utterly negligible, if it has one at all. They're using the popularity of their brand to get away with pushing prices to extortionate levels. I really hope that complacency costs them in the future.

Years
  • Sony... why?! I get that you do some good work but this shit isn't acceptable. The cost of gaming has already gone up a ridiculous amount in the last five or so years. This is so thinly veiled too.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • No one ever said Sony never make shit decisions. This is clearly one of them.

Let's not forget that at EVO they had a questionnaire about interest in NFTs that didn't have a 'I'm not interested in them at all' option and they were all basically 'Yes'

But this doesn't effect me because I already have a PS5

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Considering that scalpers are reselling PS5s with absurd markups, and that it's essentially impossible to find the console outside of bundles with games and extra controllers to bump up the price of the legal thing, Sony probably looked at it and thought "I reckon we could make some more money out of the machine". And they probably aren't wrong.

This said, it's adorable how they didn't raise prices in their main market, the US - let the rest of the world pay for it!

Years
  • I think this is mostly due too the fact noone is buying into the PS5 like they did with the PS4 and PS2; PS3 is a different beast on price flux, units purchased and other factors.

If they would have taken their time to FIX some of the problems on the PS5, such as that GLARING CMOS bomb and lack of interesting title's where the only title I found interest with is Ratchet and Clank.... And even then, the community is against itself all over Reddit between Classics and Current of these two; Praising the latter for the Story and the former for it's humor, music, story and mechanics.

There isn't anything really worth playing on PS5 as is and their policy on folks who can publish under them is inhumane.

I mean, Xbox let's lots of folks publish under them with little rules; they got a large library of indie title's and HALO. Nintendo has Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Kirby and SUPER SMASH BROS.

......... Sony has Ratchet and Clank on the PS5 and Sack Boy Adventure without a level editor that Little Big Planet has been known and loved for........ What else?

Last edited:
    Back