• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2017 Total Solar Eclipse

Years
Alright, I figured I could get a thread started on this now that I'm pretty much seeing news reports on this.

In less than two months (August 21, 2017), just about all of North America will get to experience a solar eclipse in some capacity. Although many solar eclipses have happened worldwide since then, this will be the first time since 1979 that a total solar eclipse has had a direct path over North America. For a few minutes during the day, you will notice the sky get darker, as if the sun were setting (partial). If you're in the path of where the eclipse will be total, then it will be almost completely dark during the climax of the moon passing over the sun.

Also, this will be the first time that millions of people get to see a total solar eclipse as well, and a first time for me as well.

Here's a good resource to time out the eclipse, and check out how it would look in your city:
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2017-august-21

So what do you guys think? Are y'all excited for it? 8)

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I'll be able to see it partially over here! I gotta put this in my agenda so I won't forget. :o Do you really need those special glasses for this?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Do you really need those special glasses for this?
It's not recommended to look directly at the sun for any reason, even if it's partially blocked out. If you want to keep your eyesight, you do need to use the special glasses or a pinhole viewer.

I'm excited for the eclipse! It's happening on the last day of my vacation, so I'll have all day to keep an eye on it. I might just hang around outside during the eclipse just to keep an eye on it. It's been so long since I've last seen a solar eclipse.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
Aw it won't be visible at all for me :( I've always wanted to see one!

Years
I'll be able to see it partially over here! I gotta put this in my agenda so I won't forget. :o Do you really need those special glasses for this?
Adding onto what Astinus said, even though the sun be entirely covered in the centermost path of the eclipse, the UV light rays will still shine through and those can severely damage your eyes if looked into.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I wasn't planning to look at them directly with my eyes uncovered, haha. But do I require those special glasses or are regular sunglasses also okay? /daretoask

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
That is such a shame, I won't be able to see it, I've seen a partial Eclipse last year (29th of March if I'm not mistaken) but it would have been fun to observe this one too. :/

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I wasn't planning to look at them directly with my eyes uncovered, haha. But do I require those special glasses or are regular sunglasses also okay? /daretoask
Regular sunglasses aren't strong enough. You'll need special solar-viewing sunglasses that meet a standard set by NASA.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Regular sunglasses aren't strong enough. You'll need special solar-viewing sunglasses that meet a standard set by NASA.
Okay, thanks for the info. :D I'll be in Portugal when this happens so idk where to get those from there...

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
This might be the highlight of my life until 2030-something or a certain chick I like turns her eyes to me. And I got lucky because I was invited by a friend (Tangent128 @ Serebii forums) to go there to the US to watch the Eclipse, since I live in the other hemisphere (the cool one ;) ). If everything goes well this will be a great time.

And if something goes wrong, there's always using Stellarium and a big screen projector to play pretend. From that I know, even with some of the "real life" layers the software has turned off, the event will look cool enough (preview snapshot of simulation).

Years
This might be the highlight of my life until 2030-something or a certain chick I like turns her eyes to me. And I got lucky because I was invited by a friend (Tangent128 @ Serebii forums) to go there to the US to watch the Eclipse, since I live in the other hemisphere (the cool one ;) ). If everything goes well this will be a great time.
Hey now, all hemispheres should be considered equal. :P

That's amazingly awesome that you get to come over here and see it! :D

Years
Less than 10 days to go!

Today I saw $1 eclipse glasses at Walmart, lmao. I didn't buy a pair because I wasn't really sure if they'd actually work (or even be safe for my vision)

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
Years
Last Year My Countries has Total Eclipse too.But in My home, there's only Half Eclipse.I wanna see it but They say I need Special Glasses to see even it's only Half Eclipse.

So I used 4 SunGlasses/BlackGlasses in once.I know it's Stupid, but at least I can Watch Eclipse.

Back