• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2017 Total Solar Eclipse

Years
  • So I used 4 SunGlasses/BlackGlasses in once.I know it's Stupid, but at least I can Watch Eclipse.
    This is something I highly recommend you don't do, as sunglasses are not enough to protect your eyes from the sun during an eclipse.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    So I tried out the glasses today. It's incredible how well they work. They said you can test to make sure they are the right ones if you look at a lightbulb through them, and only see the filament, not the light itself.

Years
  • So I tried out the glasses today. It's incredible how well they work. They said you can test to make sure they are the right ones if you look at a lightbulb through them, and only see the filament, not the light itself.
    I've heard the same, myself. In fact, one source I saw said that they block out 99% of any light, too.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Pity this'll only be in murica. But last year I got to see both a red supermoon and an eclipse so I'm set for a while ^^ hope it'll be a cool sight for you guys!

Years
  • Pity this'll only be in murica. But last year I got to see both a red supermoon and an eclipse so I'm set for a while ^^ hope it'll be a cool sight for you guys!
    One day Sweden will get one I promise ♥

Also, timeanddate.com is a great reference (as is nasa.gov) if you guys want to track this event live!

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I'm just going to get the northern edge of it, but it should be cool nonetheless. I remember there was an eclipse here in 1993, but I was kept inside and told not to look out the windows. D:

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    We got about 80% here in Detroit and it was an odd feeling. It's not total darkness but it almost felt like someone dimmed the lights or as if a huge storm was rolling in.

Guest123_x1

I was just getting out of work and going to see my state representative at his "office hours" when the eclipse was at its peak. Some of my co-workers were gathered outside, in which one of them had the special eclipse glasses, which I got a chance to use. Looking through them, the eclipse more closely resembled a thin crescent moon than what we see in widely-distributed photos.
    We got about 80% here in Detroit and it was an odd feeling. It's not total darkness but it almost felt like someone dimmed the lights or as if a huge storm was rolling in.
    When the eclipse was actually taking place, I realized how stupid the news media really was in promoting that it would like nighttime when the eclipse was at its peak.

DeusPro

Banned
    Years
  • Yeah, here in Dallas, from what I could see, the sun was even stronger than normal. It got dim for maybe.. 5 or so minutes it got slightly darker? but it felt brighter for most of the time. I believe it was around 1:00 PM local time when this time of it being darker started. But yeah, that's what you call media hyping shit up. Also, people were calling this a "once in a lifetime event", but another one is actually passing right over Dallas in 2024. smh. At least this time I'll be able to look at the sun for about 2 minutes :P. In fact, the center line is passing almost directly over where I'm currently living. Lots of people will be our "friends" when this eclipse rolls around and people want to see it. Can't wait :D

Years
  • YAlso, people were calling this a "once in a lifetime event", but another one is actually passing right over Dallas in 2024. smh.
    It really is a "once in a lifetime event" for some! In Wyoming (where it was total today), the next total eclipse they will see will not even occur until the 28th century!

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Where I was I got around 95% totality. It didn't get pitch black dark but it did get dimmer and make everything rust colored, and made all the shadows off the trees crescent shaped. We watched through a welding mask my neighbor lent us and it clouded over just enough when it reached totality that me and mom managed to get some shots of it despite not having any solar filters for our cameras. ^^

1csYeBb.jpg

This here's the best shot I got without the welding mask.

Last edited:
    Back