• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use HM slaves?

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
  • One of the biggest annoyances of several older gens is being forced to distribute HMs across your team. So as the title says, do you use HM slaves?

I haven't really used one per se, but when I was going through with a relatively recent playthrough of Emerald, I realised that I had chosen to use a Pelipper, and I was gobsmacked to realise that he didn't learn Dive or Waterfall. This resulted in me having to get a Tentacool and teach him those HMs, and swap out my team for him when I needed to use those HMs. This especially came to a head when I was about to start doing the Seafloor Cavern.

Years
  • I don't really use HM slaves anymore tbh, I might teach a couple of HMs to the same Pokemon, like Strength and Surf, moves that are actually useful in battle. It is so annoying some of the HM implementations in Pokemon tho, like putting in waterfall literally just to block off the E4 is ridiculous and I can see why people might need to use one!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Nope, not anymore. When I replayed White2 recently, I didn't even have any Pokemon with HMs on my team until the 8th gym. Whenever I wanted to fly somewhere, I'd just take my flier Pokemon out of my pc then deposit it again. However, I used to since HMs were basically required in generations 3, 4 and 6.

HMs are still annoying and outdated, so I'm glad they're gone.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I usually had a varied-enough team to cover the major ones, but might have swapped in a pokémon for a significant-yet-limited one, like Dive in Emerald (if you go to Sootopolis City before triggering the end-game madness you can discard it and just Fly).
    In my last couple of saves though, as a way of helping me decide on my team I decided to make sure they could cover every HM in the game. Given this was in Gen IV, that's a lot! I can quite easily forgo Fly in Kanto or Unova though.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I'm using a few in my current Pokemon Platinum playthrough due to the ridiculous amount of HMs required in Gen 4. I usually have one in my party at a time and swap them around when necessary.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I've usually made my parties so that one is not completely necessary long term. Sometimes though a 'mon will be in the party temporarily who serves no purpose other than to use one particular HM, and I know that more than once I have made use of the almighty HM slave Bidoof long-term in the Sinnoh games.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I use them shamelessly

It's a painful feeling when I can't learn a good move because "Cut" is taking up a slot.

pkmin3033

For useless HMs like Cut, Rock Smash, Whirpool, Rock Climb, and Dive, yes. For others, no. Strength is hit-and-miss but I can usually fit it onto one of my team members without offending my sensibilities, Fly I just put on the early-route bird because their movepools are generally limited so it doesn't make a difference, and Surf/Waterfall are both great. I just do without Flash and Defog.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I'm pretty sure back in the day I did just to get through the story and then tossed them in my box when I was done with them.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • No, I prefer a team that walks with me as I clear the path from start to finish. Except HM Fly, because that can be done without crossing routes.

Years
  • I usually get HM slave for moves like Flash, Cut, Strength, Whirlpool and Rock Climb. Those are moves that I don't really use in-game and I don't like the idea that they should block my move slots.

Years
  • Never really used HM slaves usually build my squad around which poekmon can learn the need HM granted I Did use a Bibarel with the intention of giving it most of the HMs but ended up only teaching it a few as it was a beast on my platinum run and when I moved it to Pokemon Y it walked the league with ice beam and superpower

Years
  • Yes and it's a bother. I love certain romhacks or fangames that remove the need for this altogether.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • [ Aegagrus ]

Yes when we were younger, but no for when we play through now. When we play through now, we distribute the HMs among our team for continence and also for a bit of a challenge when it comes to planning movesets.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    No, it's really rare the cases when I actually use an HM Slave. I usually keep one for fly and Surf, but that's about it, the other ones I delete them as soon as I find the Move Deleter or stop needing them.

Back