• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] The Player Characters

Pig

Angry ecologist
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    I don't think they have an excuse not to have customization. Even LGPE had....abysmal customization. I picked my character at the beginning under the assumption I'd be able to change but. I accepted it in the end.

I hope if you get bang options again they look better. Straightcut bangs are meant to go down below your eyebrows GameFreak, not halfway up your forehead, ty.

Gen 6 clothing was gucci af though and I want that[/] level of customization back. Gen 7 had bleak style choices.
    "Here's the same shirt/shoes in 7 different ugly colors."

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Kenji and Arianna (my predictions for the PC's names) look good. They have better designs than SM's protags.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I'm in favour of the female design myself, mostly for the fact that she has my dream hair, haha. But the male looks good too! Just a little plain. They're both a step up from the last ones! :p

Really hoping that customisation will be like XY! I was disappointed with SM's colour system. :(

Last edited:
    Years
  • Being male I always go with the male character myself, regardless of who I think has the better design. I hope trainer customisation is now a staple and I would be surprised if it wasn't back to be honest. Just as long as I can get rid of the hat I'll be happy (why didn't you let me do this Kalos?!).

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • To me they look a lot like Sun/Moon's trainers, just slightly older. It seems like GF is now sticking with a single aesthetic for the trainers. I don't know if it's to allow customization or not, but they aren't as appealing to me as the old trainers (even though a lot of them looked alike, too, lets be honest, especially the guys).

I just hope they have actual expressions in these games. The S/M trainer always having a goofy smile on her face no matter what was very awkward.

Anyway, I always pick the female trainer. I just like picking characters of my gender in games like this.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Oh wow, both trainers look great! These designs breath a lot of life into the protagonists, especially when compared to Alola's!

Of course, I'm all for customizing them even further! As for which design I'll pick... that depends on which outside character I'm in the mood for role-playing at the time! :D

Years
  • I really like these designs. They seem older than the X/Y and S/M protagonists, and look more confident in their mannerisms.
    I love the male's hairstyle, and the female looks like a good mix of looking cute and being in control of the situation. Out of all the customisable protagonists thus far (assuming that these trainers will also be customisable) these ones are the best yet.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'll be playing as the girl without a doubt. She looks really good this time around, which means I'm actually interested in a Pokemon game for the first time in five and a half years. The design of the female protagonist is the primary factor I consider when deciding to buy a Pokemon game or not, and the new girl passes with flying colors. I don't even care who the starters are since I abandon them for a mix of 1-4 gen Pokemon anyway, lol

(even if the NPC girl in the school uniform and black tights is even more breathtakingly beautiful. I want her outfit as an unlockable customization option for the in-game character. That would be divine.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    The designs are incredibly sub-par. The outfits that the characters are wearing are boring and unfashionable. I'm not a fan of the bulky backpacks, either. I'm definitely hoping for character customization.

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I'm not fond of how much the characters themselves look like the ones from S/M/US/UM (and to an extent, LGPE); but I love those outfits! So stylish - legitimately the sorts of clothes I wear IRL. I especially like the female characters shoes. And, this might be the first time I've been seriously tempted to choose the male character, he's so nice looking!
    (I'm rather fond of the bulky backpacks...They look more practical than what previous player characters have used.)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I think the female protagonist's outfit is quite cute - I personally wouldn't wear green with pink like that, but I am a fan of the style and the knit sweater, and I hope it's indicative of what the rest of the clothing options will be like. I feel like the style here is more "realistic" and I'd have more fun with that. These look like clothes people would wear in real life, unlike a lot of the options in SM and XY, which tends to be far too colourful and frilly (girls' options, at least) for me, and I had some difficulty putting together outfits I liked, haha.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Going for Ocha- I mean, the female trainer yet again. I'm surprised none of you guys are acknowledging the meme of her portrayal as an angry Scottish girl.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Not my favorite protags overall, but way, way better than Alola's. I love customization in any game so of course I feel it should return (as more time passes the less willing I am to accept the passive "some features will inevitably be cut" argument), but at least I will enjoy how the characters look before I get to the point where I can spruce them up.

Back