• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] [ATTENTION!] Serious game-breaking bug in eShop versions!

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
  • [url=https://gameranx.com/features/id/187201/article/pokemon-sword-shield-disable-autosaves-to-avoid-this-sd-card-corrupting-bug/]Gameranx.com[/url] said:
    Before beginning your adventure in the new Galar Region, you'd better take some precautions to avoid a game-breaking bug that's completely corrupting files in Pokémon Sword & Shield. The problem, reported by many players on Twitter and other sources, is related to the auto-save function. If you have downloaded games on you SD card, you might have to redownload them if this bug happens to you — which is incredibly annoying.

Basically, the best way to avoid this problem is to disable autosaves and only save manually. This also seems to only be occurring with the downloadable eShop version of Pokémon Sword & Shield — it's the version most players are able to get a few hours earlier. The bug occurs when the game crashes when attempting to autosave. After the crash, you'll be unable to access files on your SD card.

The Switch system will force you to reformat your SD card to make it usable again. Save files aren't stored on the SD card, but everything else will be lost — video, screenshots, and games you've downloaded or installed will be deleted in the reformat. It's incredibly annoying, and one of the worst Switch bugs I've heard about in recent memory.

Here's hoping Nintendo will step in and fix this bug fast. If you don't have online enabled, it might be a good idea to connect so you can download any patches coming down the pipe in the next few hours / days. Corrupting files is a pretty bad look.
    I'd say that better wait until this is fixed before getting the games from eShop.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Uh oh... this reminds me of the news of that one bug in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but much worse... It's definitely something Game Freak and co. has to fix, that's for sure.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Is there a reason why it's apparently only happening on digital versions of the game?

Still probably safest for everyone to disable autosave for the time being, until the patch comes out.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Apparently, from what I've seen in Reddit, this happens to people using an exFAT SD card instead of the usual FAT32, specifically people with homebrew or hacked Switches. So, uh, until more evidence comes up, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Good lord... I have heard of game breaking bugs, this is more of a system breaking bug. And these things are the reasons I continue to buy hard copies.

Last edited:

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Apparently, from what I've seen in Reddit, this happens to people using an exFAT SD card instead of the usual FAT32, specifically people with homebrew or hacked Switches.

What if someone uses exFAT SD card on non-homebrewed Switch, then? I hope Sword/Shield won't give this problem for them, as well.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I can see this being patched within a week - they were pretty quick to patch the Lumiose bug back in XY, IIRC.

Years
  • That sounds awful, I guess avoiding this is the only good thing about not being able to afford the game lol
    But seriously I hope they fix this quickly for all those who bought the digital version

Years
  • Recent sources have said this only happens for hacked Switches, AKA a very small minority of players, haven't they? I wouldn't worry too much. Disabling autosave is easy enough for those concerned anyways. Or has that been disproven also?

edit: Just checked the above article and I guess it's not just hacked systems that are affected. Regardless, with autosave off I'm hopeful I'll be fine.

Last edited:
    Years
  • not gonna lie, this has put me a bit on edge from playing the games until either Nintendo or Game Freak puts out some sort of fix for them. x.x

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    not gonna lie, this has put me a bit on edge from playing the games until either Nintendo or Game Freak puts out some sort of fix for them. x.x
    I wouldn't really worry too much about it, since turning autosave off will almost certainly allow you to ignore the issue entirely

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    It's a Switch OS issue, not a GF/Pokemon issue. It's been happening for months with Switch games (not just Pokemon, happened with Smash last year, too). It just surfaced again because of the negativity from SwSh and people want to give the games a bad rep. The game data is stored on the system, not the SD card, so if you DO get corrupted, all you need to do is redownload your software. It's actually safer to keep autosaves on because on the very slim chance it does happen you're going to lose a lot less progress if you were to turn it off. If you want to minimise your chances all you need to do is to format your SD card from exFAT to FAT32. Many people should have done more research before jumping ship, screaming that it's "game breaking:...

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    It's a Switch OS issue, not a GF/Pokemon issue. It's been happening for months with Switch games (not just Pokemon, happened with Smash last year, too). It just surfaced again because of the negativity from SwSh and people want to give the games a bad rep. The game data is stored on the system, not the SD card, so if you DO get corrupted, all you need to do is redownload your software. It's actually safer to keep autosaves on because on the very slim chance it does happen you're going to lose a lot less progress if you were to turn it off. If you want to minimise your chances all you need to do is to format your SD card from exFAT to FAT32. Many people should have done more research before jumping ship, screaming that it's "game breaking:...
    You still lose screenshots/videos, though, as well as certain data, as far as I'm aware (Super Mario Maker 2 courses that aren't updated, for example, according to one discussion I saw). If I were to play the game and have this issue occur, and I've backed up my microSD card to my computer first, would I be able to just copy everything back? Or would I encounter problems? What about things that can't be redownloaded (I think this applies to a few demos, mainly)?

Alternatively, are there any consequences to simply taking my microSD card out of the system before playing SwSh, then putting it back in before playing other games (assuming I turn off the system first, and given that I have a physical copy)? Also, it does seem like some physical copies are being affected; why does the system even need to access (and potentially corrupt) the microSD card in those cases?

And yes, sure, maybe people are emphasizing this more given the negativity surrounding the release. And there are a lot of people playing Pokémon, so even rare issues are likely to be encountered and commented upon. But my impression from what I've reading is that this may be unusually common for these games (like with Pirahna Plant and a couple of other examples; by contrast, I don't recall hearing about this at all with, say, Link's Awakening, despite a lot of other complaints/negativity about things like frame rate and price). I haven't seen anything to definitively refute the idea that SwSh is more likely to trigger exFAT driver issues than other games so far, and there seems to be a lot of misinformation on both sides on places like Reddit, etc. So until definitive evidence comes out one way or the other as to whether SwSh is doing something to trigger this Switch OS issue at a higher rate than other titles, it seems prudent to proceed with some caution.

Back