• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Paul Ryan: GOP will defund Planned Parenthood

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    link
    Washington (CNN)
    A push by Republican congressional leaders to defund Planned Parenthood could threaten passage of their top-priority legislation to repeal Obamacare because of opposition to the anti-abortion provision by two key GOP senators.

House Speaker Paul Ryan announced Thursday that Republicans will move to strip all federal funding for Planned Parenthood as part of the process they are using early this year to dismantle Obamacare.
    Congressional Republicans have tried for years to zero out all federal funding for Planned Parenthood because the group provides abortion services. The fight over Obamacare helped trigger a 16-day government shutdown in 2013, and Democrats and President Barack Obama insisted any Planned Parenthood provision targeting the group be removed from a bill to fund federal agencies.

The decision to add the controversial Planned Parenthood language, which is opposed by most Democrats, could have a major impact on getting the Affordable Care Act repeal legislation through the Senate because supporters need the backing of at least 50 of their 52 members and two pro-choice senators, Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, won't commit to approving the bill with the Planned Parenthood provision in it.

More in link.

The revitalised push against womanhood has begun, I guess.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    To do so with Obama's regulation that prevents descrimination against certain organisations when providing grants women's healthcare seems either difficult or very easy, at the cost of women's healthcare in general.

Considering it's the GOP I have to assume it's the latter, they seem intent on being the worst possible option 99% of the time

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • To do so with Obama's regulation that prevents descrimination against certain organisations when providing grants women's healthcare seems either difficult or very easy, at the cost of women's healthcare in general.

Considering it's the GOP I have to assume it's the latter, they seem intent on being the worst possible option 99% of the time

The problem is Planned Parenthood is a "positive" right, so taking it away isn't really discriminatory by definition, so I dont think it will be very difficult to defund Planned Parenthood, especially with Trump in office.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    The problem is Planned Parenthood is a "positive" right, so taking it away isn't really discriminatory by definition, so I dont think it will be very difficult to defund Planned Parenthood, especially with Trump in office.

I don't really get what you mean by "Positive right" but the changes Obama penned (I think they're through now, it's possible they're still held up in bureaucracy) made it impossible to remove funding from an organisation, like planned parenthood, for any reason other than an inability to provide services.

Given that the program it's funded under's purpose is to provide federal money for services like contraception, testing for sexually transmitted infections and cancer screenings- planned parenthood does provide all these services and provides them well. As such, cutting planned parenthood out of that arrangement is impossible without just defunding all federally funded providers of such services. At least, theoretically. As much as i wouldn't put it past the GOP to literally just do that, I imagine they've got something more concrete lined up

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ocus_groups_reveal_clinton_s_big_blunder.html

In Phoenix, two middle-aged women in the Trump-only focus group said they wouldn't support him for re-election if he signed away funding for Planned Parenthood. "It's a deal-breaker," said an earthy 58-year-old in a plaid work shirt. "It will rob women of basic fundamental rights. I'm talking about female health care, which includes abortion. Which includes birth control. I think birth control is the greatest gift that they gave for womankind." Added a 44-year-old, if Trump attacked Planned Parenthood, "I'd be pissed off as hell."

In several focus groups, the moderator asked if people expected Trump to veto a defunding bill, and most hands went up. The new mother in Harrisburg pointed out that Trump avoided social issues in the campaign: "That was never Donald Trump's platform." Said a Phoenix man in his 30s: "I think this is coming from the bible-thumper mentality. I don't see Trump having that mentality, but [Mike] Pence, Paul Ryan, those guys, it's like they call up God from their cellphone. They're so out of touch with reality."

Well, there you have the first test: the Republican platform or Trump voters who never read the Republican platform and based their beliefs on Trump's speeches. One has to win and one has to lose on this issue.

Years
  • Can someone fill me in on the various services planned parenthood provides? I'm aware that they have a lot to do with issues revolving around abortion and birth control but I want to have a more complete understanding before I put all my thoughts together.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I don't really get what you mean by "Positive right" but the changes Obama penned (I think they're through now, it's possible they're still held up in bureaucracy) made it impossible to remove funding from an organisation, like planned parenthood, for any reason other than an inability to provide services.

Given that the program it's funded under's purpose is to provide federal money for services like contraception, testing for sexually transmitted infections and cancer screenings- planned parenthood does provide all these services and provides them well. As such, cutting planned parenthood out of that arrangement is impossible without just defunding all federally funded providers of such services. At least, theoretically. As much as i wouldn't put it past the GOP to literally just do that, I imagine they've got something more concrete lined up

"A positive right is a right to be subjected to an action or another person or group; positive rights permit or oblige action"

Years
  • PP's budget for abortions is only 3% of their total budget. Most of what they do is completely uncontroversial health-related services like screenings and stuff like that. All of that could be impacted if they had their federal money taken away, especially in parts of the country (red states) that are hostile to groups like PP.

As such, cutting planned parenthood out of that arrangement is impossible without just defunding all federally funded providers of such services.

Don't give them any ideas.

Can someone fill me in on the various services planned parenthood provides? I'm aware that they have a lot to do with issues revolving around abortion and birth control but I want to have a more complete understanding before I put all my thoughts together.

Taken from their website's "General Health Care" page:

• anemia testing
    • cholesterol screening
    • diabetes screening
    • physical exams, including for employment and sports
    • flu vaccines
    • help with quitting smoking
    • high blood pressure screening
    • tetanus vaccines
    • thyroid screening
    They can also give help with birth control, emergency contraception, pregnancy help, all kinds of sexual health things (like testing for STIs) and other things. They're also just an information resource that, say, teenagers could use to get accurate health information, which is something that they won't necessarily get in their high school health ed classes depending on where they live.

[https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn]

They're an affordable health care option here in America where we don't have automatic health care as a right so for a lot of people (don't have any statistics on me at the moment) it's the best chance they have at getting care.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • Well typically the only reason it's vilified by the right is because of the rights disagreement with the whole aspect of abortions.

Years
  • PP's budget for abortions is only 3% of their total budget. Most of what they do is completely uncontroversial health-related services like screenings and stuff like that. All of that could be impacted if they had their federal money taken away, especially in parts of the country (red states) that are hostile to groups like PP.

Don't give them any ideas.

Taken from their website's "General Health Care" page:

• anemia testing
    • cholesterol screening
    • diabetes screening
    • physical exams, including for employment and sports
    • flu vaccines
    • help with quitting smoking
    • high blood pressure screening
    • tetanus vaccines
    • thyroid screening
    They can also give help with birth control, emergency contraception, pregnancy help, all kinds of sexual health things (like testing for STIs) and other things. They're also just an information resource that, say, teenagers could use to get accurate health information, which is something that they won't necessarily get in their high school health ed classes depending on where they live.

[https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn]

They're an affordable health care option here in America where we don't have automatic health care as a right so for a lot of people (don't have any statistics on me at the moment) it's the best chance they have at getting care.

Yup... cannot agree at all with cutting funding to something that offers so many extremely important services. I get that they don't want to encourage abortion, which I assume is the main issue Trump etc have, I'm not fond of it either. However, when one bad thing accounts for only 3% of what the organisation does and the rest is so important... that's just stupid. But that's what I expect of a Trump administration so it's not surprising.

The good news is though that the more stupid shit like this the Trump administration pulls, the less likely that he'll win his next election.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    why doesn't this surprise me :/

Years
  • If they really wanted to stop abortions they'd do better to give Americans free health care paid for by the government, but just not let that include abortions so that private groups would have to offer abortions (and not for free necessarily) then they could cut off funding to those groups. Under this plan they could get all angry with people who offer abortion so they can please the extremists within their constituencies while not alienating the majority of people who want to have health care. But no, they're still going to stick to that "small government" motto because they've already gaslighted enough people into believing that's what they're working toward and admitting otherwise would hurt their election prospects.

Back