• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Switch Spell The End Of The 3DS?

Years
if-the-switch-is-a-handheld-what-s-to-become-of-the-3ds.jpg

With Nintendo a few months away from releasing their new 'portable' console, do you think this new hardware could spell the end of the 3DS? I'm sure we're aware, but the 3DS doesn't have the best processing power and is way behind its time in such. But, the Switch looking like a promising 'portable' console, do you think they'll shift their attention away from the 3DS and focus more on the Switch? Or do you think they still love the 3DS like a lovechild.

The 3DS has been one of the best selling portable consoles of all time, but only due to the games on it, of course. If that emphasis is lifted from the 3DS, we could see a plummet.

Imagine you didn't have either console and you were given the choice, which would you choose?

blue

gucci
Years
I still think the 3DS is perfectly viable system that has a few years to go just yet. Fils-Amie even talked recently about how they plan to have the 3DS existing alongside the Switch. Obviously, I'm thinking their focus will shift over to the Switch, but I definitely don't think that means the 3DS will be made redundant any time soon.

Years
Yeha obviously they'll try and market the hell outta the Switch, but we'll still be seeing some new and exciting games for the 3DS for a while imo.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 17, 2019
i really hope they don't get out of the 3ds phase

i really don't wanna buy a new $300 console when my 3ds is working just fine

User19sq

I'd find it hard to swallow if they plan to do away with dual screens, of which many recent games still rely on heavily today. I'm sure it'll be a gradual replacement, but not one any time soon.

Years
I still think the 3DS is perfectly viable system that has a few years to go just yet. Fils-Amie even talked recently about how they plan to have the 3DS existing alongside the Switch. Obviously, I'm thinking their focus will shift over to the Switch, but I definitely don't think that means the 3DS will be made redundant any time soon.
They said the same thing about the Gameboy Advance when the DS came out and look how that went so Nintendo has a history of lying to the consumers.

blue

gucci
Years
They said the same thing about the Gameboy Advance when the DS came out and look how that went so Nintendo has a history of lying to the consumers.

Well despite the 3DS being released at the beginning of 2011, we still got new titles for the DS following that. We didn't even get Pokémon on the 3DS until the end of 2013.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Yeah, they did say they were gonna exist alongside each other, and I need a few more 3ds games before I get the switch, so I hope they don't end it too soon.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
the PSVita was notably ahead of the 3DS techwise and it essentially bombed. Same with the PSP - DS situation (The DS being hugely successful and the PSP essentially being a commercial failure) so I really don't think the Switch's extra specs will harm the 3DS.

If anything, the massive price tag, fairly poor launch line up, Nintendo's recent track record and the relatively low specs for a supposed home console hybrid will hurt the Switch early on. The 3DS will hold on for a while yet.

Years
If anything, it's more the end of the Wii U at this point. The 3DS still has the gimmick of the 3D to be its advantage over the Switch, but I feel that Nintendo will probably fold the 3DS up and shelve it in the next year or two. It was a good system, but it's getting to the end of its lifespan.
I honestly don't expect many games to come to the 3ds except what was already announced at this point. Pokemon games I think will be moved over to the Switch starting with Pokemon Stars, so the 4th gen remakes I presume to be on the switch.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Nope, Reggie confirms that the 3DS will still get support:

What does the launch of Switch mean for 3DS?

Fils-Aime: 3DS has a long life in front of it. We've already announced games that will be launching in the first couple quarters of this year. There are a number of big games coming. And in our view, the Nintendo 3DS and the Nintendo Switch are going to live side-by-side. You're going to be meeting different price points, you're going to be meeting different types of consumers, you're going to have the newest, freshest content available on Nintendo Switch, you've got a thousand-game library available on Nintendo 3DS, plus some key new ones coming. They're going to coexist just fine. We've done this before, managing two different systems.

I think there's a sense that Nintendo Switch is a portable device. It is portable. But at its heart, it's a home console that you can take with you on the go.

I can't believe there's still people who think Pokémon Stars is real despite being debunked last week.

Years
As I said Nintendo has lied before to the consumers so I'm not going to believe everything reggie says, since this more and less is a pr stunt to keep people buying a 3ds.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I hope it's not the end. I mean, the thing that most gaming companies don't realize... is that people aren't made of money either. Not everyone can go out and buy a $300 dollar gaming system. I know it's something we can't afford. If they do shelve the 3DS, then you can bet I won't be very happy with Nintendo for it.

Years
I hope it doesn't end either, but I'm skeptical after learning Nintendo has lied before so I hope I'm wrong and they do announce new 3ds games. Though we have no clue if these projects were already in development for the 3ds. I wouldn't be surprised if these are going to be the last titles for the regular 3ds. Nintendo needs to develop titles exclusively for the new 3ds imo if they want to develop for 2 platforms.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
I hope it's not the end. I mean, the thing that most gaming companies don't realize... is that people aren't made of money either. Not everyone can go out and buy a $300 dollar gaming system. I know it's something we can't afford. If they do shelve the 3DS, then you can bet I won't be very happy with Nintendo for it.

The Nintendo 3DS launched at $249.99, so it isn't too much of a price spike considering the portability of it. While I don't think that it will kill off the handheld tradition that Nintendo has upheld to this point, I do think that the Switch will take the place of both the Nintendo console and handheld editions for this generation cycle. If it performs very well sales wise, you can probably see Nintendo continuing with the Switch model and seeing an end to the cycle of handheld creations by Nintendo.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
As I said Nintendo has lied before to the consumers so I'm not going to believe everything reggie says, since this more and less is a pr stunt to keep people buying a 3ds.

The only reason people think Nintendo lies is because they didn't give them the kind of games they never promised in the first place.

GlakeGG

The Phantom Prince
Years
I believe Nintendo stated that they would continue full-on support for the Nintendo 3DS, through 2018.

The 3DS is still much more accessible, and much more affordable for the average consumer, so I don't really see the Switch taking it's place all that soon. I do wonder, however, if Nintendo plans on creating portable consoles after they phase the 3DS out, or if it will just be the Switch from here on out.

Back