• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
How do you feel about changes in styles of writing while the story is still progressing (points of view, like 1st person to 3rd)?
More often than not, they confuse me unless transitions between character perspectives are clearly marked off. Changing from 1st to 3rd person (or from past tense to present, as I have seen before) just plain confuses me, so I tend to avoid it.

Wow, I hope I made sense there:P

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
How do you feel about changes in styles of writing while the story is still progressing (points of view, like 1st person to 3rd)?

Funny, because I did it the opposite way and found that it does not work out. 3rd person has the ability to describe things better than 1st person. I feel when I describe something in 1st person that the character is being over-observant which may conflict with the character's general personality. Switching in mid-story often leads to confusion. I believe a person should stay completely in first person or completely in third.

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
Years

I think it's a great thing. It gives the reader a chance to look at a more fresh, personal side of the side, or rather a more objective view of the story. Either way I feel as though theres nothing to be lost in doing so.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years

I think it's a great thing. It gives the reader a chance to look at a more fresh, personal side of the side, or rather a more objective view of the story. Either way I feel as though theres nothing to be lost in doing so.
Yes, that's true, but you have to look at the logistics of it. A story which switches viewpoints like that is hard for a reader to follow. A reader that can't follow a story easily and effortlessly is more likely to give up. Keeping your reader interested is more important than any other consideration.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Hmmm that doesn't ring a bell.

If I recall in this one, these were things I remember from the book:

* Gangs were formed
* The main character was a girl at about 12 years old
* She took care of younger kids
* She knew how to drive
* It was mentioned that gun shops and gasoline stores were raided

I HATED THAT BOOK
The Girl Who Owned A City.

Major Mary Sue use. Some mysterious disease comes around America that kills all children over 12 years old, and this random ten-year-old girl named Lisa pops in and turns into Magic Leader Savior Woman (who, on the cover art, happens to be depicted as a thirteen-year-old - yes, with a chest). She discovers many amazingly lucky things such as a warehouse of food, and stores full of the things that other kids didn't like to eat (read: everything except junk food). The climax of the story? The leader of some gang comes up to the school building/fortress hybrid that Lisa and her groupies run. Lisa, by the way, was being very antisocial at this point - those parts where the girl was nowhere to be seen were the only parts I liked. Well, the leader boy (eleven years old) walks in, drags Lisa out and pushes her over the side of the school building (or something), and I think they end up in the sewers or... somewhere dark. I forget. Anyway, he walks up and threatens to kill her, which he attempts to do. With a gun. She survived and went on to ramble about how terrible he is and how he should stop.

And it worked.

No pre-teen gunfight or anything. He just dropped his act and gave in.

It was disgusting. We had to summarize every chapter on things the teacher didn't read, so they were all laden with explanations about how much elements of the story were terrible.

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Yeah it was definitely a school thing... XD Thanks for remembering... I guess. ;)

Though, along that genre, one book I didn't like was The Chrysalids...

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Yes, it's because of sixth grade curriculum that I was introduced to it. > .>
But yes, it's worth remembering just to remind you how good your stories are in comparison. At least, that's what I use it for.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
What the crap, people? Two days without a lounge post? I'm leaving for college on the 19th, without a computer, so you guys better get as much of me as you can while you can.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Hold on, I'm thinking...

If Pokemon Centers no longer allowed trainers to stay overnight, what would your characters do?
Lisa would do the same thing she always does: Seek out the nearest Quality, Comfort, or Sleep Inn, shell out the $75 or $80, and stay in relative comfort and luxury.

And BTW, I hated most everything I had to read for English classes.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
If Pokemon Centers no longer allowed trainers to stay overnight, what would your characters do?

They would continue doing what they always do, namely sleeping outside. There be no pokécenters in medieval pokemonland.

Grexx

Angel of Truth
Years
Hello everybody! I'm a writer myself, and I saw this lounge sooo....

It depends on what I'm writing. Probably a hotel or something if they are in a town/city. If they are traveling, then they would just have to sleep on the ground. Lawl.

And BTW, I hated most everything I had to read for English classes.
I can relate. I even had to read Twilight for this one class because a lot of my peers (mostly girls) was practically begging to have it as an assignment. I still haven't finished it to this day. I liked The Catcher in the Rye though.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
In a seismic shift of character, I'm on here at 10 to 7AM in the morning. :P

Continue to sleep elsewhere. There are no PokéCentres in a world where training Pokémon is illegal. XP

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years

Currently, I'm more than sure that my characters would sleep on the ground if the Pokemon Center decided to be complete jerks. (darn you Nurse Joy) Anyway, I think that is the most plausible option since you will have pokemon to protect you. Or maybe it might be someone in the town nice enough to let you stay over.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years

They all mostly camp out anyway, so I figure that's what they'd do. Well, of course, in Secret People they'd find someone to stay with or go to an inn, seeing as how Cimi's not doing so well at the moment. We'll see when that one progresses a bit.

That aside, I've also hated most of the books I've had to read for my Finnish classes. They're mostly pessimistic, "artistic" and circle around sex and love and violence (mental or physical), and, frankly, I'm not really into those kinds of books. One of the books was good, but it wasn't originally Finnish. Moreover, I suggested it, so maybe you can't really count that one in... I just really don't understand why we have to read the same kind of books over and over again :/

Bay

Years
In NE, the characters did a little of everything. XD; Bunny stayed at a hotel while visiting Jubilife City, but then she gets wanted. After Jenny saves her, the two stayed at the Pokemon Center, but then Nurse Joy caught them red handed. :x Jacob then saves them and the three were staying at his place for a bit. Later the two traveled and they stayed at a hotel when they made it to Solaceon Town and camped out for the night while they were heading for Celestic Town. So yeah, depends on the situation. XD

As for me, I too don't like the books I have to read in high school for my English classes. They're all pretty much angst and too heavy on purple prose. :P However, in college, I actually like the books my English professors assigned us. One of them assigned The Things They Carried and that's my all time favorite book ever. XD

Oh, and hello timoteyo7! Have fun here! :D

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Since Pokémon Centers weren't exactly the most... convenient... option for the nominees for the Strangest Traveling Group of All Time (courtesy of Metal Coat), they mostly slept outside or... I didn't mention the difference between night and day at all. Debut fics always get us on that sort of thing. xD But no, they never actually slept in a Pokémon Center. In a different Trainer story (yet to be posted, after about six months of planning and probably more), where the groupies were a bit more acceptable for chilling in the PokéCenters, they would probably go to a hotel (though this wouldn't happen very much, considering housing and paying for five people is a very expensive endeavor) or follow the lead of the Good Old Days and make do with what they can in the safest possible location.

Which may end up being sleeping in the Pokémon Center's lobby, but...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
When traveling by herself, my character would be all right with that change, and just continue sleeping outside. When traveling with her partner, the two would get in some huge argument about whether it was safer to sleep indoors or outdoors, whether it was worth it to spend that money to sleep indoors, and where to sleep if they decided to sleep outside.

I really can't complain about the books I read in high school English class. Four years in advanced placement English, and the only book the class finished was Of Mice and Men, and that was because the teacher read it out loud to the class.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
If Pokemon Centres no longer allowed trainers to stay overnight, what would your characters do?

Hotels, camping etc. Depending on the situation, there could be plenty of opportunities. Though I think that sometimes, while cliched, camping presents for the best bonding moments.

I never really like the books we had to read in elementary, though I did start improving in junior high, and then just averaging in high school... It would seem akin to Murphy's law wherein, the short pieces you'd have to read for exams were the most boring pointless things ever... And what sucked was that a lot of times they were Canadian authors... Not to mention that I find English tests to be subjective... That's why I like essays better.

Lana.

*spin*
Years
If Pokemon Centres no longer allowed trainers to stay overnight, what would your characters do?

Hotels, camping etc. Depending on the situation, there could be plenty of opportunities. Though I think that sometimes, while cliched, camping presents for the best bonding moments.
Pretty much this. I'm thinking of one character that would refuse to pay for hotels and camp, while another character would just shake his head and go ahead with the hotels just for a bed. xD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Feign said:
That's why I like essays better
Essays are still quite subjective. The main reason I do so well in English was because I flat out asked my teacher at the beginning of the year, "What do you like to see in an essay?" It's all about what the marker likes emphasised. ;o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back