• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Nintendo Labo Announced!

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Way too expensive for me :p and I was kinda hoping for more >_>

It's certainly unique. Still, a pretty hefty price for cardboard.

But I guess it feels like the Nintendo magic's back. Hopefully we see more Toy-Con sets, because I'd like to see this really hit the ground running.

Don't forget that the (mini?) games are included in the package, so assuming that the collection of mini games or whatever they will be are worth $50-$60, then you are only paying $10-20 for the cardboard + instructions (which for a kids toy is a decent price).

I dont think the price is too high, especially because kids will probably also spend a long time assembling the more complex Labo's. Personally, I would have loved this as a kid and I think parents could have fun bonding with their kids building and playing these games.

In addition, apparently some reviewers have been able to play and assemble some of the games and they say that its actually really fun (source: Polygon I think), but I think we will probably have to wait until release or until further information is released before we know how deep gameplay is and the "replayability" of the games.

I dont think I'll be purchasing any Labo's. It just doesnt interest me and looks slightly gimmicky, but kids may think the opposite. To teens and adults, I just dont see how this is appealing unless one likes collecting or something.

My worry is that the Labo's will damage the Switch's reputation as a serious console meant for all ages and appealing to young adults. At least they will probably stimulate demand from younger gamers, but we saw what happened when the Wii U was marketed to children. It didnt end well.

This seems pretty innovative and definitely unique. Hopefully it pans out well. And hopefully a virtual console releases because thats what we all really want.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
It looks pretty cool and I agree that as a child I no doubt would have loved one, but I don't think I would get one myself. We'll see though, I still don't know too much about it yet - at the moment the games they come with don't seem super interesting, but maybe some more in-depth gameplay videos will change my mind.

I wish they would've made it out of something more durable than cardboard though, even if they charge a little bit more for the materials. I'm pretty sure there are plastic model kits that come in punch-out sheets like that too, that are easy to fold and shape. I have some kits like that made of metal, but they probably wouldn't want that for children since it's easy to cut yourself with thin metal sheets. I get where the value is coming from with the $70-80 price tag, but it still just seems very flimsy to me if the finished product is mostly cardboard.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I don't think I'll ever buy it because of the price, but it's a creative idea and I'd like to see more videos.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
It looks pretty cool and I agree that as a child I no doubt would have loved one, but I don't think I would get one myself. We'll see though, I still don't know too much about it yet - at the moment the games they come with don't seem super interesting, but maybe some more in-depth gameplay videos will change my mind.

I wish they would've made it out of something more durable than cardboard though, even if they charge a little bit more for the materials. I'm pretty sure there are plastic model kits that come in punch-out sheets like that too, that are easy to fold and shape. I have some kits like that made of metal, but they probably wouldn't want that for children since it's easy to cut yourself with thin metal sheets. I get where the value is coming from with the $70-80 price tag, but it still just seems very flimsy to me if the finished product is mostly cardboard.

This would be my primary concern as well, especially because many of these them have moving parts, such as the fishing pole and piano. At least cardboard can bend back into shape a little bit, but I think a child stepping/falling on one of them would definitely cause serious damage unfortunately- something that tape might not fix. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Nintendo will also be selling replacement pieces?

It would really suck to spend $70 on something that you can accidentally destroy relatively easily. Maybe Nintendo found a way around this... we'll just have to see.

Years
I'm liking the idea and all, but considering it's made of cardboard and the whole idea is DIY...couldn't a person make the cardboard bits at home for free, given time?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
This would be my primary concern as well, especially because many of these them have moving parts, such as the fishing pole and piano. At least cardboard can bend back into shape a little bit, but I think a child stepping/falling on one of them would definitely cause serious damage unfortunately- something that tape might not fix. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Nintendo will also be selling replacement pieces?

It would really suck to spend $70 on something that you can accidentally destroy relatively easily. Maybe Nintendo found a way around this... we'll just have to see.
For sure, there's so many things that can go wrong, and there's no way to clean it either - like you can take a damp cloth to any other console or toy, but I dunno about cardboard. Just seems too fragile for a relatively expensive toy.

I haven't seen anything official about it but I would assume they'd sell replacement pieces/cardboard kits separately so people can change the shell once in a while. Even if it's not damaged, they are pushing this customization thing a lot.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
As a kid my 2 favorite things were building legos/knex and playing Nintendo games. I feel like this combines the two and I would have loooooved this.

I feel like people that look at this and just see "cardboard" lack imagination. Nintendo found a way to create what are effectively an endless amount of controller possibilities that promote creativity, while also being inexpensive.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
I remember them showing this robot game in one of the past E3's for the Wii U. Maybe it'll have more content than meets the eye to justify selling it as a separate game cartridge. At first glance it comes across as money grubbing, honestly. It's a neat idea despite the price. The piano looks really interesting.

Last edited:
Years
I find this to be very interesting because I love crafts. The best part it how versatile the Joy Cons are, and there are endless possibilities to what all can be done (more toys please)
At first the price seems to be on the higher side, more so because we are screwed over because of our unfair exchange rates. But that multi toy set for 70 dollar doesn't so sound so bad, these are all functional toys and not just models. Hopefully the games are all interesting, it shouldn't be that once you're done assembling, you only have fun playing on them for 5 mins and put them away, never to touch again.

And I hope Nintendo (or someone on the internet) releases the plans for all the cardboards so people can make spares at home. Or they sell replacement cardboard/string sets for cheap.

Last edited:
Back