• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The best teams and most unusual teams you have used in Gen 3

Years
  • These are the teams I used on the original playthroughs of the Generation 3 games.

Ruby

Sceptile
    Altaria
    Manectric
    Camerupt
    Wailord
    Dusclops

Sapphire

Blaziken
    Tropius
    Manectric
    Walrein
    Banette
    Claydol

Emerald

Swampert
    Swellow
    Manectric
    Torkoal
    Seviper
    Flygon

FireRed

Blastoise
    Pidgeot
    Raichu
    Arcanine
    Arbok
    Dragonite

LeafGreen

Charizard
    Pidgeot
    Raichu
    Lapras
    Victreebel
    Marowak

Colosseum

Espeon
    Umbreon
    Feraligatr
    Ampharos
    Noctowl
    Magcargo

XD: Gale of Darkness

Jolteon
    Cloyster
    Ninetales
    Sandslash
    Ariados
    Fearow

These are the most unusual teams that I have used during a playthrough of Gen 3

Ruby

Sceptile
    Crobat
    Minun
    Ninetales
    Corsola
    Claydol

Sapphire

Blaziken
    Pelliper
    Plusle
    Girafarig
    Cacturne
    Aggron

Emerald

Swampert
    Skarmory
    Raichu
    Magcargo
    Beautifly
    Hariyama

FireRed

Venusaur
    Dodrio
    Electabuzz
    Dugtrio
    Flareon
    Gengar

LeafGreen

Charizard
    Magneton
    Starmie
    Muk
    Golem
    Beedrill

Colosseum

Espeon
    Misdreavus
    Jumpluff
    Qwilfish
    Plusle
    Skarmory

XD: Gale of Darkness

Flareon
    Walrein
    Electrode
    Xatu
    Forretress
    Breloom

What were your best teams and most unusual teams in Gen 3.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Probably the team I used when I didn't play Gen 3. :p

Nah, probably my Dark monotype:
    - Houndoom
    - Mightyena
    - Shiftry
    - Crawdaunt
    - Absol
    - Sableye

Nothing special and honestly I'm not 100% sure if Houndoom was there or if it was an Umbreon that I got from Colosseum.

Years
  • I still remember my Sapphire original team:
    swampert.png
    dustox.png
    tropius.png
    torkoal.png
    gardevoir.png
    hariyama.png

Some of the weirdest were in the randomized runs. Like my team in Fire Red:
    miltank.png
    huntail.png
    metagross.png
    ledian.png
    arcanine.png
    plusle.png

Or during Challenges events. For example, my 2014 Challeggs team in Sapphire:
    dodrio.png
    swampert.png
    wobbuffet.png
    roselia.png
    plusle.png
    minun.png

Years
    • Seen today
    I played R, S, and E, each once. That was a very long time ago, and I didn't use to keep track of my final teams back then.

I do remember most of the Pokémon I had across those three playthroughs, but I don't recall which belonged to which team specifically:

Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Mightyena, Swalot, Swellow, Torkoal, Weezing, Donphan, Seviper, Lunatone, Ninetales... and I can't remember the remaining six.

Obviously the starters were each on a different team, same for Pokémon with overlapping types such as Swalot, Weezing and Seviper, or Torkoal and Ninetales.

As for Leaf Green (my only playthrough on official Gen 3 Kanto) Nidoqueen is the only one I remember.

Years
  • The most unusual Gen 3 team I ever had was probably my Sapphire team from a couple of years ago, the team that was decided by the Pokemon cards. I didn't know what team to use for this playthrough and I had a few unopened packs of Pokemon TCG cards from the few most recent sets at the time so I decided to open them and use the first 6 fully evolved Pokemon I pull from the packs, first 6 that are catchable in Hoenn of course. So my team ended up being:

- Masquerain
    - Sableye
    - Magcargo
    - Heracross
    - Tropius
    - Relicanth

Weird team but it made for a very fun and challenging playthrough. Beating the first half of the game with just Masquerain and Sableye was an interesting experience. And then in the E4 and Steven fight it was Heracross that helped me win because the rest of my team was just too weak and/or too underleveled to do any significant damage to Steven's Pokemon.

Years
  • These two runs in Ruby will forever be my most unusual:

- Plusle and Minun
    - Volbeat and Illumise

I didn't use anything else and relied on just these two to beat the game. Tougher, but also a lot of fun!

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I often did solo runs with Swampert back when Emerald was my only game. My best team for Hoenn has to be my most recent, from about 5 years ago:
    Spr_3r_257.png
    Spr_3r_279.png
    Spr_3r_282.png
    Spr_3r_366.png
    Spr_3r_373.png
    Spr_3r_350.png

I'd literally never caught a Feebas before, so that was very rewarding. I had to wait until the post-game to blend with Berry Master in order to evolve it. During the story I also used Absol - a great design let down by his stats and typing being at odds - and Clamperl, the latter because when I caught one in a Dive Ball it turned out to have great IVs and Hidden Power Grass, which made it brilliant against Juan and Wallace. Its now in Gen V as a Gorebyss with Shell Smash. Torchic was my first ever starter, and I remember thinking Blaze Kick was incredibly cool, but I'd only ever completed the game with Swampert until then (still never even evolved a Sceptile).
    The five pictured (except Clamperl) each reached Master Rank in contests, as well as doing quite well in Battle Frontier (I think I may have beat the Dome Ace): Cool, Cute, Smart, Tough, and Beauty respectively.

I did a LeafGreen run with Red's team from PokéSpe which was quite cool, but not particularly challenging - Venusaur, Pikachu, Poliwrath, Gyarados, Snorlax, and Eevee then Aerodactyl is not exactly a weak team. Now Gold in HeartGold on the other hand...that was tricky! No Fly, for authenticity I didn't evolve Aipom (and couldn't Togetic), not a single super-effective move to hit Dragon (although Sudowoodo could get a hit in on Charizard)...might do it again in the VC release!

Last edited:

ShadowLugia111

Birb Obsessed
    Years
  • I don't really remember my Sapphire team that much, other than the fact I had Blaziken and Kyogre on my team during the Elite Four.

But I do distinctly remember my battle against Tate and Lisa. I was having some trouble with them. The main reason I even won? A Lv. 17 Sableye I had on my team. He was my Flash slave. I basically spammed Flash until they could barely hit me anymore. I ended up transferring him to my SoulSilver file. Still have and cherish him. :)

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Renewing my post because of a sprites' bug I noticed in the previous one.
    I only played the Sapphire version as a third generation Pokémon game, saved file I still have in my cartridge.
    003.gif
    077.gif
    079.gif
    102.gif
    136.gif
    175.gif

Years
  • My recent playthrough of Fire Red I decided to use an actual team consisting of Charizard, Vileplume, Nidoking, Hitmonchan, Vaporeon, and Raichu. The first time I used Vileplume, Hitmonchan, and Vaporeon ever in a team before and I really enjoyed it.

Leaf green I took a similar approach with Venusaur, Hitmonlee, Jolteon, Sandslash, Starmie, and Dodrio. Never would have considered Dodrio or Sandslash ever, but I wanted to make a unique team with different type coverage and different from my fire red team. Honestly, I think Dodrio and Sandslash are great pokemon to have even if Sandslash's move pool in gen 3 is a bit lacking. It needs to be taught swords dance and earthquake to shine and I wish it could just learn those moves on its own.

I made a whole document on possible teams I would create based on the different gen 3 titles, and right now I'm playing through Ruby and Sapphire with that document in mind.

Back