• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Prism League Discussion (Previously "Our own Pokemon X/Y League")

Leaders/E4 using Pokemon whose Megas change to a different type, yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaoMint

☘ 小猫咪 ☘
Years
Perhaps the E4 could have access to certain Pokémon which the gym leaders may not use?
Say perhaps things such as mega evolutions or there could be a selection of OU's which only the E4 may use whilest gym leaders get certain limits. Just that perhaps a selection of certain OUs are off limits for the gyms?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Mmm - I had considered that, and I amended the OP to mention something about that, but to go further into detail. We should - for the health and longevity of this idea, have rules in place that dictate the lifespan of Champions and Gym Leader's positions if any question of their activity is brought to light. I think establishing a time period, maybe one week, maybe one month, to designate as the maximum amount they can leave their role unfulfilled before having a new player replace them.
That's probably not a bad idea. I'm sure that there will be someone to fill the slot of a league member who's not active enough.

The activity question I think we can come up with a pretty viable solution to, as I mentioned above - although I have no idea how to devise an Elite 4 vs Leaders system. .-. If anyone has an idea.. I'm all ears. The series of battles could work, I'd be down. It would be an endeavor, but it would hopefully also provide a foreword on who's active and dedicated enough to bank on keeping this alive. Starting off though? Ummm, probably use the battles, maybe just delegate a few positions. Because really, battle prowess may sometimes be disproportionate to reliability here - and we have a greater need for people who'll be around, than just the best muthaf***'s on the site. After all it's not a YOLOSWAG420NOSKOPE 1337 SKILLS tournament, it'd be more of a community thing that will HOPEFULLY be challenging too. (at least in my head ;-; I hope it doesn't get too serious and competitive)

On those members you mentioned; yes yes yes - I'm in personal communication on and off the forum with at least 4 of those people, so I can definitely harass- I mean, check up on them to maintain activity and ensure it stays alive. Although we'd probably all have to be in contact through at least 1 other form than this thread once we set it up and start taking challengers. Perhaps using the battle chat on the site regularly- orrr skype.

OH - and item clause - I ammm biased on that xD so let's NOT listen to me, and take a vote or something lol.
Yeah, I guess we don't need to be super serious about who gets what position; that might not be so fun. I'd be up for contact on the battle server rather than Skype though.

And something I thought of, are the battles going to be done with cartridges and 3DSs, or on the battle server?

TGM

Lunar Silhouette
Years
That's probably not a bad idea. I'm sure that there will be someone to fill the slot of a league member who's not active enough.

Yeah, I guess we don't need to be super serious about who gets what position; that might not be so fun. I'd be up for contact on the battle server rather than Skype though.

And something I thought of, are the battles going to be done with cartridges and 3DSs, or on the battle server?

I don't mean to speak for everyone here but probably the cartridges and 3DS's, I know at least Polar and I do not enjoy using Pokemon Showdown. :x

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Oh shoot. Yeah, that's why I think it was originally in X/Y - I was talking exclusively on cartridge, since I for once can't use Showdown, PO, and other sims.
Right, right, I forgot about that bit. Cartridges and 3DSs is fine by me. I'm fine with either option really.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 28, 2016
I don't mean to speak for everyone here but probably the cartridges and 3DS's, I know at least Polar and I do not enjoy using Pokemon Showdown. :x

I'm not a fan of showdown either. Not sure why. It just doesn't feel...right. I wouldn't wanna lose people over this though so for the sake of the league I'm willing to do showdown battles with anyone who's incapable of putting together a team on their 3DS or anyone who doesn't have X/Y

Years
Its not that hard to breed 5iv pokes in the games but I guess it can be a bit tedious, same with team preview only being shown once, but I'm fine with both. Also is the league using smogon tiers?

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
Right, right, I forgot about that bit. Cartridges and 3DSs is fine by me. I'm fine with either option really.

Oh thank god, I didn't know which you played on. :x

We're gonna alienate people sticking to either one individually though; so it may be best to do mixed... although we'd require a considerably larger amount of participants, essentially doubling the personnel on board to have a cartridge and sim league :I So I think - we maaaay just wanna stick to one after all.

Besides, if we keep it from being an extremely competitive master skill level league, we can probably buff the number of participants by getting people who aren't necessarily so into competitive as to have full teams of 5 IV mons (which I agree, really aren't that hard to get now with destiny knot) bred for competitive. There's not really a point to non-competive sims though, since you can pretty much just generate anything with a few clicks - so I think cartridge is a good choice. :3

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
I met as well put out my opinion. I really like the idea, but I think the champion should be decided like this:

We have a mini tournament between the well-respected battlers (top 5) of our community, and the winner gets to be champion. The other four are the elite four. The regular gyms are for anyone. I would personally like it on the regular game cartridges to give it the "facing the gym" feeling.

srinator

This seems fun, but I have one question since I read about breeding and things, can't this be done on the sim? I don't have any of the games so :/

Polar Spectrum

Years
It seems like everyone has really good reasons both ways - sooo, maybe both is the answer :1 If we do, maybe we just trim down the number of gyms for each section? At least until there's a strong need to increase it. :x Let's say we split it right down the middle, 4 gyms on cartridge, 4 gyms on sims - then 2 elite four on cartridge; 2 on sims - with one champion for each? And I'm not suggesting that you have to play both in order to go through the league; by keeping the numbers smaller at first - we run a lower risk of too much to do or too many people to coordinate battles with deterring people from participating. Whaddyou guys think?

We have a mini tournament between the well-respected battlers (top 5) of our community, and the winner gets to be champion. The other four are the elite four. The regular gyms are for anyone. I would personally like it on the regular game cartridges to give it the "facing the gym" feeling.

Mmm, two things - one, how would we decide the most well respected / top 5? xD Nobody here knows for example if I'm sh*t or legit at pokemon, I think we should do it by tournament amongst volunteers. That way whomever wins; we at least know they're willing and interested to uphold the position. Secondly - I wholeheartedly agree with you on the facing the gym feel on cartridge. You just can't get more authentic than the original source material. And there's no denying the battles are more personal, cinematic, and intense. (opinionsopinionsopinioins)

This seems fun, but I have one question since I read about breeding and things, can't this be done on the sim? I don't have any of the games so :/

While I don't sympathize with you not wanting to breed (it's so easy now mate! :P ) I do feel where you're coming from. And you're definitely not the only one. We should have a league set up for sim battles too. It pains me to admit, but the sim players might just be the majority in fact.

Anywho yeah - anybody else feelin' the splitting the league between the two mediums idea? I think it could work; if things get too busy or it turns out to be a success, we could move up to a full 2 separate leagues, one completely independent on sims, and one completely independent on cartridge. Starting off right now though, 4 gyms, 2 elite members and a champion battle seems like a nice pace to start on for me. ^^ I can volunteer to handle the cartridge half (IF - we go down this path) but someone more personally invested and experienced than myself should prrrobably be the sim league commissioner.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
We have 8 gyms. - As in 8 individuals, all different players, each with one unique pokemon type, which every pokemon on their team must be have naturally. The gym leaders may pick the battle format (singles or doubles - no rotation or triples) for their gym, and may NOT use any legendary pokemon. While facing the 8 gym leaders, challengers should keep the same 6 pokemon on their team (to prevent picking 6 hard counters for every gym type, and providing a challenge to both leaders and challengers.) but may change items. (because fairness and fun.) Challengers may have *1* non mascot or event legend (ie; No Mewtwo, Xerneas, Dialga, Darkrai, Genesect, Deoxys) - allowing trio members and non mascots (ie; Gen 1 bird trio, musketeers, D/P lake trio).

I disagree. Allow a single Gym to have triple battles, and another to have Rotation battles. It challenges especially anyone challenging that Gym and provides a unique experience. It should be pre-determined which one TYPE would be best for each format and mandate that Gym use it.

Gym Leaders, technically, can be promoted to Elite Four (it's happened before), and we might have to do a graduating format. Have an initial tournament between the various "leaders" and their Gym teams; the best ones get to Elite Four status. The Champion can start out as the winner of the tournament, and that winner can have a team including a wider mix - but ONLY the Champion. There can also be NO Champion to start, and the first to conquer the Elite Four assumes the role; anyone else coming in can dethrone the Champion. The question is whether the Champion would move down, or can the Elite Four ever challenge the Champion with a non-typed team and the winner move up? The entire idea of Gym Leaders moving up and down is the thing I can't wrap my head around as, since Gym Leaders usually live in their towns, I can't see one leaving and then returning a week later after being demoted again. That would be silly. Gym Leaders can perhaps be allowed to challenge once every three or four months, and a defeated Elite Four member assume leadership of the Gym (same type or different); any losing "leader" in such a battle remains a Gym Leader.

I don't know why this is exciting me; I'm not even into the competitive thing. But if I were to serve as a leader and not necessarily challenge the entire league myself, that might be sufficient for me as it would give me the chance to meet the most challengers (and I am not the best battler). My only issue is my nearly full 3DS friend list; I'll have to axe people to take part.

And then there's another question: level restrictions. If every Gym Leader is Lv.100 or all battles are set to Lv.50, it takes away the aspect of being better than the Gym Leader at the outset. Also, if participants can change their team for each Leader, then every Leader is virtually doomed to failure. I presume participants will use the same team throughout the challenge and start with a new team if they want to change?

srinator

Breeding is not the problem lol, I don't have a Nintendo handheld/console, that's the main problem

Years
I really think we need to decide if this will be on wifi or simulators with a clear cut vote

Also i dont think the league should start out with a champ, its more rewarding to become champion by conquering the league and promotes more people to challenge to see who can be champ first

Polar Spectrum

Years
I disagree. Allow a single Gym to have triple battles, and another to have Rotation battles. It challenges especially anyone challenging that Gym and provides a unique experience. It should be pre-determined which one TYPE would be best for each format and mandate that Gym use it.

Gym Leaders, technically, can be promoted to Elite Four (it's happened before), and we might have to do a graduating format. Have an initial tournament between the various "leaders" and their Gym teams; the best ones get to Elite Four status. The Champion can start out as the winner of the tournament, and that winner can have a team including a wider mix - but ONLY the Champion. There can also be NO Champion to start, and the first to conquer the Elite Four assumes the role; anyone else coming in can dethrone the Champion. The question is whether the Champion would move down, or can the Elite Four ever challenge the Champion with a non-typed team and the winner move up? The entire idea of Gym Leaders moving up and down is the thing I can't wrap my head around as, since Gym Leaders usually live in their towns, I can't see one leaving and then returning a week later after being demoted again. That would be silly. Gym Leaders can perhaps be allowed to challenge once every three or four months, and a defeated Elite Four member assume leadership of the Gym (same type or different); any losing "leader" in such a battle remains a Gym Leader.

I don't know why this is exciting me; I'm not even into the competitive thing. But if I were to serve as a leader and not necessarily challenge the entire league myself, that might be sufficient for me as it would give me the chance to meet the most challengers (and I am not the best battler). My only issue is my nearly full 3DS friend list; I'll have to axe people to take part.

And then there's another question: level restrictions. If every Gym Leader is Lv.100 or all battles are set to Lv.50, it takes away the aspect of being better than the Gym Leader at the outset. Also, if participants can change their team for each Leader, then every Leader is virtually doomed to failure. I presume participants will use the same team throughout the challenge and start with a new team if they want to change?

M'kay, m'kay - I can kinda feel you on the triples and multis, I'm always a fan of mixing it up. Can a mod or Adam, should he see this tomorrow - change the poll of the thread to "Should a triple battle or rotation battle gym be allowed?" if that's possible? I'm kinda losing reluctance to the idea, but I'd like to know if others are fine with it too.

I hadn't ever considered starting out with a champion, but you know - that also poses another question. In the interest of non-exculsiveness, should we allow Gym leaders to also be challengers? Obviously, with another opponent filling in for their own gym's match, but that could act as our Champion-picker or Elite Four picker in the interim of not having those set up. And, it would keep things going instead of just waiting for people to come and take a shot at us. :P

I think just about everything else in your post I addressed here though -
Spoiler:

Everyone set to level 50, to prevent level mismatches and forced level 100 grinds, and challengers keeping one team throughout at leeeeast the 8 gym matches, if not the whole endeavor - would be my suggestion for the process.

I really think we need to decide if this will be on wifi or simulators with a clear cut vote

I'm worried we'll exclude too many potential participants that way :/ Such as, if it ends up being on sims - I literally cannot participate. It's failed twice to instal on my laptop, which is at the dying state of literally failing to load high res images. And anyone without a 3ds such as srinator, should it go the other way - would not be likely to cough up the 160 bucks or so. :c

If we don't do it mixed, maybe we should at least split this into two separate events, one league for cartridge players, and one for sim players. If we can't mix the two that is, just having a requirement of 4 badges for whichever medium you use in the same league.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'm worried we'll exclude too many potential participants that way :/ Such as, if it ends up being on sims - I literally cannot participate.

Note that not all simulators need to be installed. Pokemon Showdown! (the most recent and most popular one, I think) can be played on your browser. That's not really restricting since everyone has a browser. PC has its own Pokemon Showdown! server as well, and several unofficial leagues has been set up in there. If this pushes through, we can provide you your own room in there, too. More info on PC's Battle Server can be read here.

Honestly, I really think using Pokemon Showdown! is the best way to go for any league type things. You can battle outside of Smogon tiers as well anyway (there's a mode called custom game). Not everyone can afford a 3DS after all, and simulators are free. You could also do both, essentially widening the availability of battles.

Polar Spectrum

Years
Hmmm, y'know I like some of those, and I don't like some of those. They are specifically geared towards the sims though, which is not very conducive to developing the best format for cartridge players as well :1 But how about we give this thread some time, maybe a day at least - to allow feedback (hopefully) from some of those 9 or 10 people who voted in the poll?

And erm. Maybe set a goal for starting this up - so we don't end up just talking and debating about it for a whole week, then having no one still interested by the time it finally launches? :P

Note that not all simulators need to be installed. Pokemon Showdown! (the most recent and most popular one, I think) can be played on your browser. That's not really restricting since everyone has a browser. PC has its own Pokemon Showdown! server as well, and several unofficial leagues has been set up in there. If this pushes through, we can provide you your own room in there, too. More info on PC's Battle Server can be read here.

Honestly, I really think using Pokemon Showdown! is the best way to go for any league type things. You can battle outside of Smogon tiers as well anyway (there's a mode called custom game). Not everyone can afford a 3DS after all, and simulators are free. You could also do both, essentially widening the availability of battles.

Oo, why thank you for that. I'll investigate tonight to see if I can use Showdown after all. :D However I just personally, far prefer playing on Wifi with my own DS, my own game, and my own pokemon I've bred and trained to any simulator. It may sound dumb, or even ignorant and stubborn, I know - but I just do. It's a personal preference I've maintained for a long long time, and I'm just not very fond of showdown or PO to begin with. The custom game bit does sound more appealing to meh (Triple battle wailords - everyone metronome huehuehuehue) - and I appreciate the situations of people who can't or don't want to buy 2/3DS systems just as much as I don't expect people to harangue me to use Showdown. ^^ As long as there are other people looking to play on the X/Y actual games, I will jump in with that crowd and hoooopefully soon here, set up what we can to join 'em all in a good 'n fun league to challenge.

Last edited:

TGM

Lunar Silhouette
Years

I pretty much share Dash's opinion, sims aren't for me. I prefer to use the pokemon that I worked hard to breed and train.

Not hating on sim users btw, use what you like and to each his own and all that. I know it may sound ignorant and such, but it just simply isn't something that I am interested in doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back