• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Champion!

Favourite Champion

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Red / Lance are my joint favourites, with Steven Stone in 3rd (but really, any of the Gen I-V Champions bar Iris could have come there, they all have their strengths and weaknesses).

Steven is mainly in 3rd because of nostalgia - Emerald was my first game, I didn't even know he had been a champion when I first met him in the game like anyone who had played Ruby / Sapphire would do. I just really like the character; He's got pretty unique interests outside of battling compared to most characters in the games, he uses some damn cool pokémon (Metagross and Aggron are standouts), and he's completely optional! I only found him by chance the first time I completed the game because someone told me you could go to space so I was looking all around Mossdeep (that white rock was a real mind**** from GameFreak) and when I found Beldum I decided to train it in Meteor Falls, eventually noticing the extra cavern. Took him on with nobody over lv. 60 aha

Red is tied with Lance for a couple of reasons - firstly, they both have the same outstanding battle themes in Gen IV. His design's a classic, as are his pokémon (although I think I would've liked battling an Espeon instead of a Lapras, having us both equally damaged by the Hail at all times would make it even more epic in my opinion), and his lack of dialogue is a great callback to his previous as possibly the most silent of player characters if that's possible to rank. Plus I mean exiling yourself on a mountain because nobody else is strong enough to bother to fight? Badass, and I think we've all had that desire in a game to be allowed to take on the role of Champion and actually be challenged by other trainers - this is the closest you can get.

Lance meanwhile - the guy's the original Dragon trainer, his teams are some of the coolest ever assembled, and he takes on such an active role against Team Rocket, especially in comparison to in RBGYRFrLg where Red is seemingly the only person who even cares about Kanto being more crime-ridden than Gotham during Batman's childhood. Having multiple Dragonite is such overkill as well, kinda makes him seem a bit overconfident in his belief that he can simply overpower everyone with cool, and who doesn't like their heroes flawed? His only drawback is the capes but hey, he originated in the 90s and if we forgive real people why not him.

Sorry, bit of a long one but I really like these guys.

Years
  • I voted for Blue in the rival thread and happily would again simply cause of the fact that he becomes champion before the player and I love his team and character. But in the end my vote to Lance, I think in terms of a champion he's perfect, he has arguably one of the best teams in Pokemon, with different types and moves that can defeat Pokemon that are effective against his other dragons. Not to mention his design and awesome cape.

Guest123123

Cynthia for her outfit and general aesthetic.

In order for me it's
    1. Cynthia
    2. Steven
    3. SM's (still too soon to mention by name? I noticed this one wasn't a poll option)
    4. Iris
    5. Diantha
    6. Lance
    7. Wallace
    8. Blue
    9. Alder

I like Wallace as a character more than I like him as a Champion. Meaning he doesn't really give me a Champion-ish vibe. As a character I'd put him above Diantha and Lance.
    Blue and Alder do give me Champion-ish vibes, but I'm not really that interested in them.

Years
  • Definitely Blue. After playing through LeafGreen, the rivalry between me and Blue felt pretty personal and it felt so rewarding to have one last intense battle against him to decide which one of us would be crowned champion.

Cynthia was another really good one and probably the best Champion battle altogether, but the battle didn't feel nearly as personal as Blue's.

Years
  • I'm a big fan of Blue / Gary, so this is an easy one. The only thing that would make me hesitate picking him is that it makes less sense for him to be the Champion in the rematch battles.

I also remember Gary being the only one I couldn't beat as a kid, so he's probably the toughest one too.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I'm tied between Red and Lance. I'm a bit biased as a fan of Gen I games to pick the original player character, but Lance is one of my favorite characters in the entire series.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Cynthia by a mile.

I love her design, first female champion to be introduced, and she's just got so much going for her. She's very engaged with the player and storyline throughout DPPT, and that's what makes her so likable to me due to the fact that we get to know her along the way giving her some great character development throughout the game. Even moreso in Platinum when she joins the plot to the Distortion World. Amongst that, she has a diverse team that actually holds up a real challenge with no specific type unlike most of the other Champions. There's not much I can really say bad about her, she's just a great character all round.

xXLunaSolXx

Cynthia. She's such a badass, and has some great character development through the games.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Definitely Cynthia, and not just because I'm biased towards 4th Gen. She was there most of the way through Sinnoh, and she even made an appearance in Isshu. She also the first female Champion, as well as the first Champion since Blue who didn't have a team based on a particular type.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Cynthia definitely. First female champion and she's the strongest one IMO. The fact that it took me several times to beat her made her an impressive champion in my book.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Cynthia but only just over Lance. Both have great designs and their main Pokemon that are tough to take down and have by and large strong teams although Lance loses points due to having three Dragonites. Lance was also my hardest ever Pokemon battle in the games.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    steven, because i've had a massive crush on him since i first played pokemon when i was little... cynthia is a close second, because she has easily the most impressive team and she's the champion of my favourite region.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • Mine's always been Steven! I've always loved the way he carries himself and a steel-themed champion is just downright cool. Also he's hot. (Can you really blame me)
    Cynthia of course is in second place, I think it's an insult to the entire Pokemon franchise to not have such a cool champion in at least your top 3. The fact that she was the first champion to have different types on her team is really neat.

Back