• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pseudo's

Years
  • Anyone else a bit annoyed at Game Freak making every pseudo-legendary a dragon type nowadays?
    I mean, I do like having a Ghost Dragon that isn't Giratina and the Fighting Dragon Kommo-o is my 2nd favorite dragon type.
    But the point is, starting from gen 4 onward, every pseudo has been a flipping Dragon type. Gen 3's Metagross was the last non Dragon pseudo, and gen 3 had a dragon pseudo besides that lol

There are currently 9 pseudos's: Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Goodra, Kommo-o, Dragapult.
    7 of them are dragons! Only Tyranitar and Metagross aren't.

Anyway, to prompt some discussion. If you could make a non-Dragon type pseudo, what typing would you give it? Be as descriptive as you want =)

Personally I'd love a Ice/Fairy pseudo. The only Ice/Fairy type that exists atm is Alolan Ninetales, and although a very lovely mon, is not as strong as I'd like it to be. Maybe some sort of snow queen or winter witch?
    Would also like a Poison/Fairy pseudo. The typing is currently only used by Galar Weezing. I'd rather have it on something decent. Having a bit of trouble imagining something for this, but maybe some sort of fairy who's poison heals poison type pokemon?

Also, here's a list of unused type combinations if you want some additional inspiration:
    https://pokemondb.net/type/unused

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Would pick an uncommon monotype or an underwhelming dual-type. Thinks along the lines of Ice, Steel, Bug, Rock/Ground, and Normal/Dark.

- Ice: Some kind of snowshoe rabbit. Perhaps a regional variant of Lopunny or Diggersby. (Depends how much you can alter their design and qualify as a regional variant. Cares little for both.)
    - Steel: Thought "snail" first. Seems bland. Could cross it with an object, such as a sawblade.
    - Bug: Maybe a grasshopper? Wants it to appear very early, like the usual bug types. Hates how useless those end up being.
    - Rock/Ground: Created a land shark already. Why not a land dolphin?
    - Normal/Dark: A grizzly bear. Fits due to being diurnal, but nocturnal around humans. Stays on four legs, unlike Ursaring. Could lean into constellations for its design.

Years
  • Interesting prompt! I'll have to think it over in more detail, but at first glance, a pseudo can make even the "weakest" type combinations work. Tyranitar is I think one of the Pokémon with the most weaknesses!

Some other type combinations known for their loads of weaknesses are Grass/Psychic and Grass/Ice. For a Grass/Psychic pseudo, a druid-style wizard of some kind comes to mind, and the Grass/Ice type requires more thought but can for sure be made into something cool and different from Snover and Abomasnow in concept.

Alternatively, I think coming up with differently typed regional form of pseudos, or a regional evolution to make a line a pseudo, are also neat ways to think about this.

Seeing as it's traditional that a psuedo's first stage has a BST of 300, and how Sligoo then went 450 as a halfway point between that and Goodra's 600, I'd say one way of making very legit-looking regional pseudos is taking a 2-stage line with BSTs 300 and 450 and giving them a pseudo regional evolution. The only two lines like that are the Snubbull line and the Sandshrew line, so they could be a good starting point for that line of thought.

Other than all that, I'd love a psuedo of some underdog, common type, like Normal, Bug or Poison. Say, a Bug/Flying psuedo proving how good that can be, or a pure Normal one, a Normal/Flying one, or a Bug/Poison one. An Ice-type psuedo sounds great too, and an Electric one sounds cool as well.

I'll have to think about this more later!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    A Fairy/Grass (or Flying) pseudo of sorts inspired by the Greek mythology of Pan would be pretty cool. A pastoral deity that actually protects nature, has an affinity for music, and is a god of fertility. He could be a watchman to his trainer and use tree roots as defense and a Fairy aura to attack.

Years
  • Electric/grass. I think something like that has incredible potential as a pseudo, and can see it having excellent type coverage. Its first form would be a rare encounter in volcano/lava-like area, in a zone with a giant flower that only grows in extreme heat. Maybe it'd evolve into a big flaming bird that has leaves as feathers. <3 Kind of uncreative since we have Moltres and Ho-Oh, but I can see the design being unique enough in my head.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I mean, I kinda get why they focus mostly on dragons. Dragons easily fit the legend part of pseudo-legend and they're also suitably rare.

Still, I suppose that if I were to make a new pseudo-legend, I think a Fire / Fairy type could be interesting. Think "Volcanic Tapu" but not really a Tapu since it can evolve and they aren't unique.

Years
  • would be interesting to have a grass psuedo. or an ice one. or a fairy one. any of the three would be interesting pics imo.

.. just as long as it isn't filled with so many dragons, as much sense as that may make. other types need to shine, too!

Years
    • Seen today
    Maybe the reason why so many pseudo-legendaries are Dragon is so you can't make a "dream team" with just all pseudo-legendaries? because if you do their synergies will suck, with all but Metagross being weak to Fairy and all but two also weak to Ice. Like how usually legend trios are so strong individually but don't complement each other very well.

But I agree it would have been more interesting to see more variety in pseudo-legendaries types throughout all these years. I personally wouldn't give them exclusive typings though, unless it's actually not a very good typing like Tyranitar's, so that if I want a Steel-Psychic or a Dragon-Flying I'm not forced to catch and train pseudo-legendaries because there are also more accessible alternatives like Bronzong or Altaria respectively.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I can see why they would continue making Dragon type pseudo's. But I can also see that it's gotten a little out of hand.

One one hand dragons are always seen as these mythical creatures that are very strong and in that respect having a Dragon type pseudo, one with a higher stat total, makes sense. On the other hand mythology is so full of other creatures that are just as powerful and could add a lot more in terms of lore diversity.

Maybe some sort of mythical dog/beast? What if they actually provided just a regular Normal type? I mean they made a literal god a Normal type, so why not make a pseudo, as well?

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
    Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    Electric/Flying needs a pseudo. After the legendaries Zapdos and Thundurus, your only options are Fan-Rotom, Emolga, and Pom-Pom Style Oricorio. There's a pretty big gap in the middle, there. A pseudo with that typing would fit nicely.

Back