• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PCL] PCL Hunger Games - Won by Majestic Milotics

Anti

return of the king
Years
Okay, I have decided the results of the team-building competition. Here are the teams as I received them:

Team A:
Spoiler:

Team B:
Spoiler:

Team C:
Spoiler:

Team D:
Spoiler:

Now, here are my ratings, with commentary:

1. Team A: First off, nice production value on the team. Moving along to the content, this team is a very standard Charizard X build, and it is mostly solid. It's pretty weak to Sand--Landorus cannot hold up forever, especially if Excadrill is SD in which case the game is pretty much over from team preview--but its other match-ups are at least decent. It's a bit stall weak but has some nice tools against those builds. Landorus and Starmie are both solid in the hazard game even against Sableye-Mega, if only for a short while, and Celebi's Baton Pass puts a lot of pressure on stalls that don't pack Quagsire. Celebi was a cool little touch of creativity that I appreciated. In terms of weaknesses, Bisharp is a bit of an issue. The EVs could use some tweaking and specialization on Charizard X and Klefki. Otherwise, this is a pretty solid, if unspectacular team. In the final analysis, I gave it:

Effectiveness: 8/10
Creativity: 6/10
Total Score: 14/20

2. Team B: This team is reasonably effective, but I found two major issues with it. The first is that it is really easy to wear down. Laddering with it, I found that I had to win fast, win with Clefable, or not win at all. The second is related, and it's that this team is really stall weak. Unaware shuts down Aerodactyl, Keldeo can only do so much and is usually very well prepared for by stall, and Clefable needs superior breaking to successfully act as a win condition. I don't want to overstate the weaknesses though, because this is using a very standard bulky offense core of Lati/Lando/Keld, with the hardly-uncommon Ferrothorn and Clefable adding further support. (Don't forget to set Ferrothorn's Speed IV to 0!) I have seen a ton of teams almost exactly like this one, and besides the choice of Aerodactyl--which isn't supported with enough breaking to begin with--it is super standard. All that said, these Pokemon are standard for a reason, and it wasn't exactly hard to outplay many people on the mid ladder with the team. A team that gives its player the tools to win is all you really ask for, so while it has some weak points, it's still pretty solid overall, and definitely not a build to be ashamed of. My ratings were:

Effectiveness: 7/10
Creativity: 5/10
Total Score: 12/20

3. Team D: This was probably the most creative team I received, but I found it very difficult to use. The triple Ground-type synergy was very lacking. To give an example, I played a pretty poor low ladder player in this battle, and I felt like there wasn't much I could do. Everything gets worn down and nothing can take status. I ran into a Mew in another battle and just didn't have any options against it. I found Pokemon like Skarmory to be next to impossible to kill. The weakness of this build is that the Chomp/Lando/Hippo slots needed to be compressed into two Pokemon, probably with a different choice over Landorus-T (even though that set was actually pretty fun in a vacuum). That probably needed to be SD Excadrill. Klefki is a bit overloaded and can lose in the long game (see the Scarf Mismagius sequence), and without it, the speed control can break down a bit because Starmie and Serperior can't switch into anything. Overall, I liked the idea, and Garchomp-Mega is intriguing, but for me the execution was a bit lacking. Here is what I gave this team:

Effectiveness: 5/10
Creativity: 7/10
Total Score: 12/20

This ties with Team B, but I decided to award the tiebreak to Team B because, at the end of the day, it's the better team.

4. Team C: This team was very lacking in my opinion. I don't want to be too harsh, but it felt like it hadn't really been tested. A microcosm of my experience laddering with this team was this replay where I easily tossed aside a low ladder scrub (the Heal Bell play was a misclick), only to find that I had literally nothing for Chansey. I just had to derp around and PP stall it. Needless to say, stall is a big issue for this team. I found other match-ups to be difficult to play around, even on the low ladder. Gyarados-Mega/Magnezone/Latias (Healing Wish) is a nice core, but it also provides no speed control and spotty initial power. I was intrigued by Clefable and Celebi but thought their roles needed to be compressed into one team slot. Hoopa is a niche check to a few things, but what this team really needs is to steal a Ground-type from Team D and to diversify the defensive core. I might sound like a broken record with speed control, but moving first is often as important to team defense as defenses themselves are. This is why priority is so useful--it gives the player more leeway in battle to take more risks and not constantly be preserving defensive Pokemon and ceding momentum. This team just didn't have that utility, which is especially apparent when you begin to search for answers against Pokemon that devastate this squad like Charizard X and Talonflame. In short, this just wasn't a very good team. There are some neat ideas underneath, but it needs fleshed out more. My final scores for this team were:

Effectiveness: 4/10
Creativity: 6/10
Total Score: 10/20

And just to follow up, if the people who made these teams want any advice on how to make them better or improve their building process in any way, I'm happy to help! I can also give more extended commentary and provide a few more replays if anyone wants them. Especially with no direction other than "build a team," these weren't bad at all.

Chase can give you a clan breakdown on these.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
And just to follow up, if the people who made these teams want any advice on how to make them better or improve their building process in any way, I'm happy to help! I can also give more extended commentary and provide a few more replays if anyone wants them. Especially with no direction other than "build a team," these weren't bad at all.
I'd like to get some advice on my team and getting some more building advice would also be really helpful. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
sure thing, do you mind if i post it here or would you prefer it be private?
I'd like to keep anything further regarding my team, to be left private, because...well, I'd like to continue using it for a bit.

Though, it would also be cool if we had something that everyone could use as a reference to learn from. Could even be another new Off-Season event of some sorts.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
I lost 2-0 against Nah. I need to seriously up my game, haha.

Showdown isn't cooperating and replays are unavailable. I'll post them when/if showdown cooperates.

GG!

Sirfetch’d

don't forget that the deadline for round 2 is on the 30th! You only have a few more days to finish these matches.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Hello, yes

my internet is currently a wreck (I was able to get on Showdown briefly a moment ago, but that quickly died), so if d00f and I can't complete our battle today, I'd like to request that the activity win go to him. kthxbai

edit: goodness, my internet was a struggle, but somehow I pulled through

won 2-1 against Golgari

First
Second
Last

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

The deadline for this was yesterday but I left it open due to a few people having internet issues. I will be closing this and announcing the results at midnight tonight so get your matches in if possible. Thanks!

Sirfetch’d

Thanks to everyone who competed in this! I have updated the OP with the final results. Any round two matches that did not get completed, I did a coin flip decision on them with two point deductions for any incomplete match, just as in round one. I would like to congratulate Majestic Milotics as our PCL Hunger Games champion!

Final Rankings:

Black Magic: 22 points [t-Third Place]
Ghosts of Perdition: 26 points [Second Place]
Majestic Milotics: 28 points [First Place!]
Team Orb: 22 points [t-Third Place]

Last edited:
Back