• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime Cries in Gen 8

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
  • I know this topic has probably been discussed before, and I'm pretty sure that this thread has already been posted, but I want to see people's opinions right after the release of the Let's Go games. In my opinion, the anime is anything but canon. It has been a little while since I got into Pokemon deep lore, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but a lot of the events in the Anime are sketchy and really stupid like Pikachu fricking using Electric-type attacks on Ground-type Pokemon. I personally am completely against having Pokemon saying their names, because, in the games, Pokemon replace animals. Animals don't speak, and that also kind of ruins the feeling that the games have right now. I don't like it, it feels unnatural, and I already was angry about Pikachu's cry, so I don't know how I'll react to some of my favourite Pokemon giving high pitched squeals instead of the normally intimidating roars they give out usually. Imagine a Salamence saying its own name or something like Giratina repeating its name. It's just bizarre, and for me, an unwelcome and a poor addition to the canon games, and is really annoying. In fact, here is something for you guys to see: " [Nevertheless], Game Freak decided to keep the old-fashioned cries because they were much more realistic. While designing the Pokémon cries for the last few games in the franchise, the company paid a lot of attention to the habitat a Pokémon came from, the type of creature that it was, and all sorts of factors that would affect the noise it would make if it was a real animal." So this is what I think. What about you guys?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • i'd really like the games to not have anything to do with the anime but that seems to be the opposite of the agenda

Last edited:

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • Well, I'm glad to see that at least some people here agree. But obviously, we are the less "important" fans, considering the ages here. Pokemon games are designed for children and pardon me, but a lot of kids are really, well, kiddish, and love the cringy moments in the anime, and love all sorts of useless crap. It's likely that a large part of the fanbase wants anime cries. I just wish there was some way to reach out to the devs and tell them otherwise.

Years
  • I agree with the games being more distinctive from the anime, but who knows what's going to happen in Gen 8? With Masuda no longer being in the Director's chair, the new Director may decide to just keep the old cries for the sake of distinction.

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I'm definitely in favour of keeping the games separate from the anime, although I don't mind Pokémon saying their names, it's cute and fun!

Years
  • would prefer them to use their cries as is. no need for them to say their names. the fact that that happens in the anime is stupid imo

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Never. And besides the show is just an advertisement for the games. They really shouldn't base the games too much around it.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Some Pokemon sound weird when repeating their names, it only mostly works for like Pikachu and cute pokemon I guess. I'm against it. I think GF knows it sounds awful for a lot of Pokemon especially for those witn a lot of syllables. And imagine translating all the cries too. No way will they do it, even with nostalgia points at play.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Some Pokemon sound weird when repeating their names, it only mostly works for like Pikachu and cute pokemon I guess. I'm against it. I think GF knows it sounds awful for a lot of Pokemon especially for those witn a lot of syllables. And imagine translating all the cries too. No way will they do it, even with nostalgia points at play.

Yeah. I don't think that the Pokemon (excluding Pikachu and Eevee) will say their names like in the anime for the reasons you said.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    not even every pokemon in the anime say their name hahah.

idk i think it'd just be too much of a hassle gathering voice clips for 800+ pokemon and that they should just keep it the way it is. pikachu i understand being the exception due to being the mascot and all but beyond that? no thanks.

Years
  • Eh, names would be a localisation nightmare because you'd have to hire voice actors to record 800+ Pokémon, a large amount of which have different names depending on the language.

It'd be expensive.

Years
  • Eh, names would be a localisation nightmare because you'd have to hire voice actors to record 800+ Pokémon, a large amount of which have different names depending on the language.

It'd be expensive.

Yep, never gonna happen. Not for the majority of them anyway.

Back