• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

exp share

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • EXP Share was changed in Gen 6 (I think it was 6) to become a key item that gave 50% EXP to every Pokémon that didn't participate, rather than giving 100% EXP to a single selected Pokémon. Overall, this seems to make it harder to quickly level a single Pokémon, but makes your whole team level quicker and makes it easier to keep them at approximately the same level.

Do you use the EXP Share? Did you prefer it before the change, or are you fine with how it is now?

redjj1

Old School
    Years
  • I think it's ruined the game for those wanting a challenge. I know you can turn it off but then you fall behind everybody else.

My youngest brother has no concept of level grinding.

Once I complete Y i may challenge myself with no exp share.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Before was waaaay better imo.

I never use the Exp. Share now and it was an item I always used to use in the earlier games, particularly at the start. I guess they made it better by halving the amount of exp distributed in Sun & Moon, but I'd still like it to be reverted to pre-gen VI mechanics.

Coffee

Banned
    Years
  • I do use the exp share. It makes using different Pokemon so much easier and less time consuming.
    In XY and ORAS my teams were only slightly higher than the champion in the end.
    And in SM my team was always at the same level as the npcs.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    There's no point of using exp share on XY, since gym leaders and the league is just too easy to handle. While in ORAS, I do use it to level up some pokemon that I want to use on later battle, but gets too far when defeating a trainer with equal or less level.

Years
  • I loved the old EXP Share more than the present one, it made it easier to just train a specific Pokemon that is far below the rest of your time, which has happened to me a couple of times. Although you didn't even need to use the EXP Share in XY and ORAS imo cause the games were so easy, the same can kinda be said for SM, although the games do seem a little tougher.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I used it heavily when trying to complete my living dex, especially with Pokemon like Braviary, Volcarona, Mandibuzz and Hydreigon needing so much exp to evolve.

I don't really use it when doing the regular game.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • The Pokemon games have always been easy, a revamped Experience Share doesn't change that. I don't use the Experience share during the story.

I prefer the new Experience Share as I use it post-game to EV train multiple pokemon at once.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • Well I loved the old one simply because it doesn't make the game way easier. I used it on Pokémon X and I couldn't even find the champion battle difficult. However, now in Sun and Moon, I decided to not use the Exp.Share and it clearly made the games more difficult ^__^

Years
  • I used it to raise the Pokemon i had on my team that were on a lower level compared to my main fightning pokemon I'm alright where it's right now.

Owlet

Look for hope, it's searching for you.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 12, 2017
    I do kind of miss the whole thing in the older games of sticking a low-level Pokemon out first, then immediately pulling it back so it could get EXP without fainting (especially Magikarp when trying to get a Gyarados), but I don't dislike the EXP-Share. It does make evolving Pokemon a lot easier, which is nice when I don't have as much time to play - but it also removes an element of the challenge.

Guest123_x1

I never liked the original Exp. All from the early games given the fact that it divided the EXP gained from defeating a single Pokémon amongst all available Pokémon in your party. However, when I got back to the main series games with Generation VI, I began using Exp. Share quite a bit through my journeys, although I would turn the device off once in awhile if one Pokémon got too far ahead in level as compared to others on my team, or if one or two 'mons ended up being a few levels behind the rest. I don't want to repeat the mistake of spoiling a single Pokémon like I did with the starter Pikachu when I first played Yellow back in 1999-2000.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like to assume that everyone who things the old one was better, referred to the one from gen 1, because that thing was just hilarious. {XD}

When it comes to which version I prefer, I'd have to go with the new one. It requires a different way of planning your team, at least if you just want to beat the game with only certain six Pokemon. Being able to toggle it on and off certainly allows for enough room to experiment with it. I usually turn it off most of the time and only use it when I really find myself pretty underleveled. It's a pretty neat tool to create your own challenge, actually. People just haven't been exploring all the possibilities, yet.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I wish we had the old EXP share for the main story, but would receive the new EXP share after the main story.
    If anything I'd do it the other way around, since (at least for me) the main game is when you're trying to raise 6 Pokémon at a relatively consistent rate - which is what the new EXP Share is good for - and the post-game is when you switch to training individual/new Pokémon - something that's easier with the old EXP Share.

idk maybe your habits are different.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • If anything I'd do it the other way around, since (at least for me) the main game is when you're trying to raise 6 Pokémon at a relatively consistent rate - which is what the new EXP Share is good for - and the post-game is when you switch to training individual/new Pokémon - something that's easier with the old EXP Share.

idk maybe your habits are different.

I was thinking so the main story would be more difficult and the post-game we could level up pokemon really fast.

Back