• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Microsoft Paint to be retired after 32 years [Update: Will now only be available on Windows Store]

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • My question is...,

is it getting a makeover just like how we were introduced to Microsoft Edge?

I liked Paint and it was easier to maneuver (and my go to for super quick photo editing stuff), but I'm willing to live without it.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Well people can still use alternative though like GIMP. RIP paint (though I wish they remake it instead leave it like rotting cabage)

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Aww, that's my childhood right there. I remember being on my dad's ancient desktop when I was around 5 just making random doodles. At the time, it was the purest form of entertainment. I actually still use if nowadays for very rudimentary document editing (and by that I mean changing my friends' report cards, cause we're horrible people). I'll be sad to see it go.

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
    Years
  • I'm rather surprised that people still use mspaint in this day and age. Apparently, they have never heard of Paint.net, Photoshop, or GIMP.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I'm rather surprised that people still use mspaint in this day and age. Apparently, they have never heard of Paint.net, Photoshop, or GIMP.

I mean, I feel like a part of that is because Paint is so accessible. I'll be 100% honest, I have never heard of Paint.net. GIMP never really seemed popular for whatever reason, at least not with anyone I knew. I did use it before, but I never liked the UI much. Photoshop costs money if you have morals.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • And another part of my childhood is now leaving, wow. I remember that my favorite tool was the spray tool, so much time spent on Paint making nonsense drawings that looked like art to me. :')
    Anyway, I still use it for very basic editing like resizing or cropping a picture so I think I'm gonna miss it a bit.

Years
  • I remember I used to do everything in paint! Nowadays I've moved to photoshop but paint is still in my heart.

Years
  • I remember how simple this program was, which was why Paint played a notable role in the start of many digital artists' careers. To see it being discontinued after these years is such a terrible thing, especially since its successor Paint 3D uses a black screen and is complicated to understand or use.

Years
  • Welp ;-;

Well, there's GIMP, Paint.net and Microsoft's own Paint 3D (though I've never used it)

Years
  • Microsoft has bigger fish to fry, such as fixing the damn taskbar highlighting glitch that has been around since Windows 7 and is now going on almost nine years old.

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
    Years
  • I use it for editing pictures such as my channel avatar on YouTube
    Microsoft Paint to be retired after 32 years [Update: Will now only be available on Windows Store]

Last edited:

string555

Banned
    Years
  • I did use to have lots of fun with it, but then I started learning photoshop when I was a teenager. Then in more recent times, I started learning GIMP because it's completely free.

It is kind of fun to think of the dumb 'art' I use to make with MS Paint, though. :P

Back