• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Sinnoh's Fire Problem

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
Years
  • I'd have just added a few more Fire-type Pokemon to some earlier grass routes. Maybe Vulpix and Growlithe, one for each game, or possibly an extra early route rodent that goes in the direction of fire instead of water. A buddy for Bidoof!

Years
  • tbh GF should've at least created more Fire types for that Gen. having just the Chimchar line, Magmortar, and Heatran is pretty pathetic. there could've been a Rock/Fire type in the Oreburgh Mine, a Steel/Fire type found in Iron Island, a Fuego Ironworks exclusive Fire type, perhaps an area similar to Stark Mountain in the pre-game, like a molten underground cavern area of Mt. Coronet. there could've been several ways to implement them naturally. for sure those won't be a thing in the remakes either, but it's nice to fantasize~

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I wish they'd just had Platinum's Regional Dex in Diamond and Pearl, that way they could've included more of the new evolutions straight away and trainers like Candice, Volkner and Flint wouldn't need to use random Pokémon to make up for the lack of Pokémon matching their type specialty.

Hopefully the remakes will at least have the Pokémon from the Platinum Dex. It would fix the Fire Problem and would give players much more choices for their team.

Years
  • I really like Roni's ideas. I think Gen IV focus way too much on introducing new evolutions to older Pokémon (and making then unavailable until post-game), so it would be nice to have some fresh new Fire-types.

Years
  • I'm actually surprised so little fire types made it in - had assumed the testers/balancing staff would've noticed when playing the games. :s There are a lot of cool locations new, or even older, fire types would've fit in as others have mentioned. We had too much focus on evolutions/legendaries and not enough proper usable mons. :( I would have loved to see some cool new ones of each under-represented type in gen 4. 3/5 of Flint's team not even being fire was crazy!

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Honestly it surprises me more that there were only two Ice Types in the Diamond and Pearl Dex (Snover/Abomasnow and Sneasel/Weavile), considering Sinnoh is supposed to be a cold region and even has an entire area covered in Snow. Hopefully the type problems all around will be fixed in the remakes, keeping the Platinum Dex would certainly help.

Years
  • Honestly it surprises me more that there were only two Ice Types in the Diamond and Pearl Dex (Snover/Abomasnow and Sneasel/Weavile), considering Sinnoh is supposed to be a cold region and even has an entire area covered in Snow. Hopefully the type problems all around will be fixed in the remakes, keeping the Platinum Dex would certainly help.
    whoa... i genuinely didn't even realize this 'til now. i was so fixated with Fire types i never bothered to check the other type balances.

they should've trimmed down on the Water types tbh. i mean Whiscash? Pelipper? Octillery? why'd they make it in?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Water is a very diverse biome so having a bunch of Water types makes sense. I also didn't know there was such a little amount of ice types.

I suspect that Chimchar is one of the reasons why barely anybody noticed the lack of Fire types. It wouldn't surprise me if many of them picked it and therefore never ran into any issues in that regard.

I think at least Slugma, Growlithe and maybe even Houndour would have fit in somewhere. The latter one in particular seems to suffer from being rarely if ever seen in basically any game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I gotta be honest, I never noticed this on my first playthrough. Maybe its because I was use to older generations where they was like only one ghost type and dragon type in the game. I never considered type diversity to be a good metric of a pokedex.

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • Having picked Torterra for my first Pearl run, I basically gave up on having a Fire-type on my team. Rapidash didn't even get good coverage back then.

They have an opportunity now to add some newer mons that could fit Sinnoh but didn't exist back then, like Darmanitan and Centiskorch (specially with the new Arceus game)

Vagabond+

Dream Traveler
    Years
  • I'd have just added a few more Fire-type Pokemon to some earlier grass routes. Maybe Vulpix and Growlithe, one for each game, or possibly an extra early route rodent that goes in the direction of fire instead of water. A buddy for Bidoof!

What's funny about this idea specifically is that Growlithe IS on the first several routes of the game if FireRed is inserted in the GBA slot. Vulpix is mid-game if you do it with LeafGreen. Sadly that doesn't work until after the Elite Four has been beaten.

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    hoen also had the same problem. magcargo and torkoal were simply not viable ingame while ninetales' movepool is very limited to make it worht keeping in team.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Idk if I fully understand this question. To fix it all you would have to do is add different fire types to earlier routes. If what you mean is what I did in these games before Platinum then my answer is I used Rapidash when I didn't pick Infernape as my stater, otherwise I used Infernape. If I remember correctly, this is one of the first generations where I just started making teams without any fire Pokemon because I got so tired of using the same two.

Back