• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Have you ever stopped to watch anime?

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
  • Hey guys

As a former animes watcher - and still an animes lover - have you ever got a time in your life when you kinda stopped watching them? Or lost interest? Is there any reasons for that? What make you decided to watch them again, if you ever did?

I used to watch them. After I watched Wolf's Rain, I couldn't find another animes that I liked as much as this one.... I stopped searching for one. A couple of years after I wanted to watch a new anime but I like to multitask too much and I don't have the time/patience to watch something without doing anything else and I like animes with action and/or dub so it's hard to watch an anime and do nothing else at the same time. I am still watching Inuyasha since it's an anime I can watch on Sub (the first time I watched it was with subtitles so it's not weird for me to watch it in english).

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I frequently go through periods like this, where I don't watch very much anime (if any at all) for a few weeks before I try picking up a new show. There are soooo many reasons for this.

I don't think the quality of anime has declined overall, but the more I watch, the less interested I become...there isn't as much diversity in anime as one might think. Quite often characters are one-dimensional single-trope copies of one another, and it doesn't make for very interesting viewing. Shows based off manga or light novels can be amazing, but they'll stop before they go anywhere, or just as they're about to go somewhere, as they run out of content to adapt and they NEVER get a second season, leaving you feel like you've wasted your time. Then there are those shows that just go on...and on...and on...and on. If you're watching week-by-week a single bad episode can put you off the whole thing, too.

Pacing is also often terrible as 12/13 episode shows start at a leisurely pace than rush to finish. There are plenty of reasons to be put off anime...all you can really do is keep looking around until you find one that looks appealing, then give it a try and see if it is actually as appealing as it sounds.

I try to treat each show as an isolated occurrence though, and if one doesn't appeal, I'll move on to the next. There are many, MANY series out there I've not seen after all, and the little things can make up for bad content - a good villain, or side character, or a good OST. On the surface there isn't much variety, but everything has its own little quirks. Just a matter of finding the most appealing ones.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I mainly just deal with conflicts of schedule. I spend around 5 hours a day doing what I want to and the rest of the day is work or sleep so those 5 hours are split up between six or seven different things. Sometimes anime just doesn't get a slot for four or five months, but then I make up for it by binging through a shit ton of anime over the course of 3 or 4 months

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I hit this point at 16 and actually haven't recovered since, only going back to watching a complete anime when I'm really feeling like it and can bring up the patience to sit still and pay complete attention to something 12 x 20 minutes (at least). That was exactly my problem; I lost patience and also had other things to do that were too time-consuming. It's mainly a patience thing though: I have difficulty sitting still for long and just focusing on something else without gearing my attention towards something else halfway (either a website/forum or an IM conversation). I wish I could find the patience to watch it again, I really miss it at times. :( I have switched to manga in the meanwhile, which I also don't do that much anymore but it's at least more accessible than anime.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Oh great so I guess I have to edit the title just for you to answer eh.

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I find that I alternate between watching anime, watching live-action series, playing video games, or something else entirely, and for some period of time(usually days, sometimes weeks and rarely, months), most of my spare time is used for that. I'm currently in "anime mode" today, and I plan to watch some later this afternoon.

Years
  • Sometimes I just don't watch because my schedule dictates I can't or that I just don't feel up to it. There have been 4 months where I have no completed series for various reasons, but in two of them, it was because my schedule made it so there wasn't really any time for anime watching. Those are about the only reasons I might go weeks without watching any anime.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I used to watch a lot more anime in the past than I do today. Mostly it's due to scheduling and that I'm normally tired after work and rather than watching anime I'm watching some other show that my sister and I chose to watch. There's that and the fact that I've pretty much limited myself to anime that's on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc because I hate watching anime on my laptop screen. Gives me even more of a headache than watching TV on the computer and I can't be bothered to connect my computer to the TV half the time.

If I'm interested enough in something I'll go through the effort but lately? There's other things I can watch with less effort.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    My interest in the medium on a whole died out in my teens. I'll still watch/rewatch things, but usually they have to be pretty special (FlCl, Bebop, the Big O, Ghibli films etc)

One thing I always casually catch up on is One Piece. I've been reading/watching it since I was 13/14.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • I don't watch it much anymore (I still do sometimes), and that's because my exams are coming up, and I rather spend whatever free time I have left on other things.

Years
  • I've pretty much always liked anime, but when it comes to things I like, I tend to be very dedicated and watch it to the point I'm satisfied for a few months before I really get back into it.

Yes, this counts for movies, anime and games.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
    Years
  • About four to two years back I used to watch quite a bit of anime. But as of now it has grown out of me.

A few times I tried to get back in it. Recently I tried to watch Akame ga Kill, but three episodes in, I haven't continued for weeks, despite liking it so far. I also want to follow Shingeki no Kyojin S2 and Boruto but I have already fallen quite behind.

I feel it's kinda too bad, I like watching anime, but I just can't get myself to continue on it.

Years
  • ill be honest i could not finish love live school idol project season 2 due to i cant bare the sadness towards the end and i already alone suffer from depression

Years
  • Yes unfortunately as I'm really busy studying and then I'm trying to maintain a social life which barely leaves any time left to watch anime as I haven't really watched any for quite a long time.

immacksg

follow @immacksg on twitter for some rad cartoon a
    Years
  • There's never really been a point where I've lost interest in Anime, but sometimes I just can't really watch it. Anime is something that I need to take time out of my day to do, and a lot of the anime I watch either doesn't have a dub to listen to, or just requires full attention.
    When I just wanna lay down and put something on while I simultaneously play video games, I can't really do that with Anime, so that's pretty much the only time when I actively decide not to watch Anime.

Back