• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What features from each generation would you like to see return?

Years
  • Which features of previous pokemon games that haven't reappeared would you like to come back?
    For me:
    Gen 2 - More involved Day/Night and Weekday cycle, apricorn ball crafting
    Gen 3 - Secret bases, Pokegear
    Gen 4 - Those segments where you team up with another trainer
    Gen 5 - Seasons
    Gen 7 - Poke Pelago (I like how you get free pokemon from it from time to time)

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Gen II and its remakes - I agree with more involved day/night cycle and weekly events, and Apricorn balls as well! Plus, the Pokegear and the events to get major characters' phone numbers (such as those of Gym Leaders). Following Mons like in HG/SS too, with reactions to their environment!
    Gen III - Again, the Match Call function. Being able to rematch the Gym Leaders during the story like in Emerald and having them get stronger alongside you would be nice. It made the Hoenn Leaders feel more realistic than in OR/AS. The Fame Checker from FR/LG was great as well, but the League Cards from Sw/Sh more or less filled the same purpose, so...
    Gen IV - POKÉRADAR. I got so. Many. Shinies! from it in Platinum! And bring it back just as it was in that game or in BD/SP, not like in X/Y. A Battle Frontier more reminiscent of Sinnoh's than of Hoenn's would be awesome as well.
    Gen V - Agree on seasons. Also, different themes for each Gym.
    Gen VI - Better customization options for both genders. No games have managed to match the options we had in that game. Same goes for the post-game episode with Looker; I have yet to see a postgame story more satisfying than that one.
    Gen VII - SOS Battles and open-field Trials instead of Gyms. Don't get me wrong, I love Gym puzzles, but it feels less claustrophobic to complete them in an open space that takes advantage of the existing world.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Which features of previous pokemon games that haven't reappeared would you like to come back?
    For me:
    Gen 2 - More involved Day/Night and Weekday cycle, apricorn ball crafting
    Gen 3 - Secret bases, Pokegear
    Gen 4 - Those segments where you team up with another trainer
    Gen 5 - Seasons
    Gen 7 - Poke Pelago (I like how you get free pokemon from it from time to time)

You honestly picked everything I would have, only I'd prefer Pokémon Amie and the Pokeradar again.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Gen 1 - Speed based crit chances, Persian was a BEAST back then.
    Gen 2 - Day/Night cycle
    Gen 3 - Secret Bases (R/S/E), Vs. Seeker (FR/LG), Shadow Pokemon (Colo/XD)
    Gen 4 - Villa (Platinum), Poke Radar
    Gen 5 - Maybe seasons, but not so they prevent entire areas from being explored unless it's a specific one.
    Gen 6 - Character customization
    Gen 7 - Didn't play
    Gen 8 - Trainer Card exchange.

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
  • mega evolution lol sob ಥ‿ಥ that was the best once-per-battle gimmick imo. shininess being passed down in gen2 made sense too! needs quite some nerfing though. the cinema complex from gen5 was a really fun side thingy.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Gen 2: Apricorns
    Gen 3: Secret bases and Match calls
    Gen 4: The Underground
    Gen 5: Pokestar Studios and the PWT
    Gen 6: Super Training and the DexNav
    Gen 7: Poke Pelago

Years
  • To be clear I'm specifically asking for features that DO NOT return in later generations, bar remakes
    Following Pokemon have literally shown up in every game so far since LGPE
    Also, I was thinking more in the way of mechanics or other features rather than facilities like the Battle Frontier or PWT

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • In addition to some of those already mentioned, I miss Gen. II-style Mystery Gift, where you can get items, including special room decorations, by connecting with friends. (This might have to be tweaked if this is for a fan game, like Mystery Gifting with NPCs instead.)

Also wouldn't mind more opportunities for double battles (including wild doubles). I find myself mostly juggling between Wartortle and Leafeon in Sword and would love to be able to use them simultaneously more often.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'd go with
    - Contests
    - Secret bases
    - the Underground
    - Poffin making

Ball capsules would also be neat to see again sometime, I always liked how they provided further individuality for Pokemon.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Technically some of these have returned, like Apricorns in the dlc, but I understand not everyone has access to that.

Gen II: Headbutt Trees. It doesn't make sense that these are only in Gen II. If they brought these back in later generations, I can think of plenty of Pokemon that would fall out of a tree by using Headbutt.

Gen III: Being able to call people to schedule a rematch with them.

Gen Iv: bring back the goddamn vs seeker. After generation IV, trainer rematches stopped existing, and it pisses me off, quite frankly.

Gen V: Seasons really should't have been taken out. I still don't know why they got removed. Not only America has seasons.

Generation VI: there's nothing I can think of I'd like to see return except bringing back an easier to use online system. I've heard y-comm is bad, and I hated how messy Festival Plaza was.

Gen VII: nothing.

Gen VIII: we're still in this generation, so until generation IX comes out, I can't say.

Years
  • mega evolution lol sob ಥ‿ಥ that was the best once-per-battle gimmick imo. shininess being passed down in gen2 made sense too! needs quite some nerfing though. the cinema complex from gen5 was a really fun side thingy.

I love this too and would have been really happy to see it continue longterm. But I can see how constant new megas per generation may not be sustainable for multiple reasons. :(

Want to echo calling NPCs for rematches, or even just a bit of dialogue - that always added more personality to the games. Also secret bases and especially seasons. Unova was so lovely with them!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Something about Gen5 seasons is always add a flair to the game makes it more alive than. More variant battle than double or single I want to rotation or triple battle to mix and it makes more strategical depth than just ending murdering the whole team with just a single pokemon.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    - Weekly events in Generation 2 and seasons from Generation 5. Agrees with those above about making the world feel more alive.

- SOS Battles (but only after an Adrenaline Orb) from Generation 7. Wound up being an interesting way to acquire held items, shiny Pokemon, and hidden abilities. Encouraged certain moves/Pokemon for certain encounters.

Recalls the Ditto SOS setup being interesting. Led with a Munchlax that only knew Recycle. Tricked a Leppa Berry onto the Ditto using Hypno. Set up a Substitute with Umbreon. Baton Passed to someone with False Swipe and high PP moves. (Probably could have done this with fewer Pokemon.) Rendered new Dittos incapable of transforming.

Thought of no other features exclusive to one generation. Bleeds into one another sometimes, like the Experience Share toggle and trainer rematches.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I guess mostly the different facilities like Pokéthlon, Battle Frontier, PWT, etc.

I do like Megas more than Dynamax but it's also something I can live without. To be honest, there isn't really a lot I'm missing in the games right now.

Back