• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Slang

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Sometimes I wonder where a lot of slang words come from. I'm pretty out of the loop sometimes. Like just a few years back I started hearing people use the phrase low key in their sentences when I swear I've never heard it before. Where did it come from??

Also I guess I'm not a cool guy as people always look at me funny when I use slang.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Slang is definitely area specific. Even certain cities have their own slang. As for slang in general, I'm sure it goes way back.

TY

everytime i see the word slang i think people start speaking Dutch

slang is Dutch for snake

Years
  • Something fun is learning slang in a second language. It?s such a good way to learn how people of whatever culture think about things and then in turn form their words.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I'm Australian so a sizeable proportion of my vocabulary is slang words nobody else in the world understands.

this but then a lot of my local friends can't understand me as well cos i throw in a bit of gaming slang here, a bit of lankan slang there, a little bit of malaysian/singaporean/colombian/indian/etc slang that i pick up from friends...

Years
  • this but then a lot of my local friends can't understand me as well cos i throw in a bit of gaming slang here, a bit of lankan slang there, a little bit of malaysian/singaporean/colombian/indian/etc slang that i pick up from friends...

Are you sure them not understanding you is a language thing and not a you problem?

Years
  • On Australian slang I had dinner recently with a few Aussie?s and a couple of guys from the US. The conversation topic got onto slang and while the guys from the US had no clue I could understand the Aussie slang as well as the Aussie?s could understand British slang.

Years
  • I do throw a lot of gaming/spanish/english/brazillian portuguese slangs, and everyone understands it, i can understand british and american slangs too.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I work in a predominantly black work environment. Slang is rapidly making its way into my day-to-day life, and I'm often having to explain to other white people what something means when I say it.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • im from the south so the only slang i really have is y'all. unfortunately as much as i told myself i was gonna not use it, i have started. bleh. i lived in new york for about.. 8 years i think? and we had some slang there that was mostly northern/new york-ish (not nyc). but i can't remember what it was exactly.

Back