• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: UNCONFIRMED: Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu, Eevee next titles

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Anyway, seems a lot of people are in denial about these being the Gen 8 games.

Yeah, same here. Personally, I feel that now is way too soon to be announcing a new generation, even though USUM has been out for a fair while and lots of people are getting bored of it and moving to other games. What I think this is, is a paired spinoff that is designed to persuade fans to get at Switch and tide them over while they're developing the actual Gen VIII title.

While it may seem outlandish, as you stated, the last time they did a paired spinoff was with PMD2 (Time and Darkness), and with GF almost never having involvement with spinoffs, it could be that this is the first time they're actually getting involved, to give people an idea of what the Gen VIII title will be. The whole "persuade fans to get new system to tide them over while they wait for new release" has been done before by the big N themselves, and a glaring example of this would be the releases of Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD, for Breath of the Wild. This also was kinda done with GF themselves as well, with Pokemon Dream Radar designed to get people ready for XY by forcing people to get a 3DS.

The other thing is that I'm almost absolutely certain that the Switch game is going to drop next year, with an announcement to come at the start of it. This may sound like a weird theory, but the reason I feel this is the case is because of the legendary dump they gave us in USUM. Surely they should give a rhyme and reason as to why they had to dump every legendary on us, right? Well, they can't just do it for the sake of it and not let us actually use them competitively. ORAS let us do that with VGC16, and by principle, USUM should do the same next year. Give every mon a chance, for once!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I could see the logic and potential of remaking or reimagining Red/Green/Blue, but Yellow?! Seriously?! Yikes...

Yotes

GameDev
Years
Anything as ambitious as a Yellow remake gets tossed out the realm of possibility for me. Looks like a simple spinoff featuring Pokemon's 2 most marketable characters. Could be about anything.

And after Detective Pikachu, I mean ANYTHING...

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
So apparently Domains for these names have been claimed?! Presumably by the same company that claimed the name for Sun and Moon? This worries me.

pkmin3033

Either way, I can't see these as proper Gen VIII titles - if nothing else, the naming is wrong. We already have a Switch spinoff in Pokken (even if that is a re-release) so another one dropping before proper core series titles isn't that farfetched an idea.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Well the rumors for the past week or says that Pokemon Switch will be a sequel set 100 years after the original RGBY and will feature Kanto, Johto, and Unova. I mean, that'll be pretty awesome... So I hope they are right. So far they are xD

Years
I hope Pokemon as we know it e.g. turn based battles, teaching your Pokemon 4 moves, levelling up etc doesn't change too much. If they mess with it for a spin-off sure, go nuts. But when I buy a mainline Pokemon game I want it to play like a mainline Pokemon game. xD

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
Anyone genuinely concerned at this point is making a fuss over nothing. We know next to nothing about these games.

My prediction: the games are sequels with a new protagonist, new rivals, and a massively overhauled Kanto region. Maybe new megas, regional variants, etc. Kanto for recognition and to work as a soft reboot.

Also remember folks that FR/LG were released 14 years ago. That's a damn long time, and as much as I hate to make you all feel old, most fans haven't played Kanto at all.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Anyone genuinely concerned at this point is making a fuss over nothing. We know next to nothing about these games.

My prediction: the games are sequels with a new protagonist, new rivals, and a massively overhauled Kanto region. Maybe new megas, regional variants, etc. Kanto for recognition and to work as a soft reboot.

Also remember folks that FR/LG were released 14 years ago. That's a damn long time, and as much as I hate to make you all feel old, most fans haven't played Kanto at all.

Please, unless you're only counting the really young portion of Pokemon fans, many have played Kanto. There was a Virtual console release on the 3ds as well so you can bet many new fans have played through Kanto. And I think we all know FRLG is also aging.

There is something to fuss about, it's obviously a cash grab with the Pokemon GO connection and Pikachu/Eevee focus. I'll wait for further info but for now my expectations are low.

Years
I honestly did not expect for there to be so much negative feedback regarding these games. My first thought was how excited I was to try them so naturally I'm happy to see this is becoming less and less of just a rumor. There is still a lot of uncertainty regarding the titles so I'll wait until we see more and hope people become a little more open to the idea. Then again I'm also easy to please lmao

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
While I'm mostly happy about the supposed rumors, I'm still unsure about the capturing mechanic thing because I think most of us (myself included) would already getting used to tried-and-true picking Pokéball, use Catch option and just watch the ball is thrown, hoping for the 'mons to be caught (or even some occasional fling-like noise for Critical Capture). As long as the capturing system is not altered, I don't mind.

But if the catching mechanic change does eventually happen, I think I would reconsider if this would affect the gameplay in good or bad way. Still, sometimes rumors can be vague in a sense, so still unsure if that statement would be 100% true, but I'll be cautious on that statement in particular.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023
honestly, if it is just remake of a remake... I am gonna skip this one and wait till actual
Gen 8 with new pokemon and most importantly NEW REGION.
GF has gone lazy if they are going to remake Kanto AGAIN.
Honestly, if it is set in Kanto I am disappointed, This new Pokemon Switch game is meant to be one of best works done by veterans in GF but if a remake is best they can do and can't even create a brand new region... WTF GF?
Remake of a Remake is NOT worth all that money buying switch AND a pokemon game.

And this positivity on bad decision on GF REALLY worries me. Are people just so blinded by their fanboyism that they will eat whatever GF throws at them? Even if this Pokemon game turns out to be worse than Sonic boom will people defend it and still buy it?

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
I still don't think it's completely confirmed. Pokémon has a tendency to register names they don't use. They have registered:
Pokemon Topaz
Pokemon Tourmaline
Pokemon WhiteGold
Pokemon Moonstone
Pokemon Delta Emerald

HeroLinik

Years
I still don't think it's completely confirmed. Pokémon has a tendency to register names they don't use. They have registered:
Pokemon Topaz
Pokemon Tourmaline
Pokemon WhiteGold
Pokemon Moonstone
Pokemon Delta Emerald

And to add insult to injury, they also registered Gray, putting our hopes up like crazy during the time of BW. Honestly, the fact they can trademark such a title, and then throw a curveball at us and announce something different, is enough to make the fandom completely erupt. However, it should be noted that the http://www.pokemon-gray.com domain wasn't registered and doesn't lead to anything, which can lend more to the idea that the whole LGPE thing could very well be real. None of the other names have been registered as domains either, but we still can't get our hopes up just yet.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I honestly did not expect for there to be so much negative feedback regarding these games. My first thought was how excited I was to try them so naturally I'm happy to see this is becoming less and less of just a rumor. There is still a lot of uncertainty regarding the titles so I'll wait until we see more and hope people become a little more open to the idea. Then again I'm also easy to please lmao

Same. Like I said, not the first thing I would ask for. I can,t say that I was *super happy* or excited, but I didn't expect to see that much of negative feedback. It's kinda been a while since we visited Kanto, except for the virtual console. FRLG is kinda outdated now. I could see why they could decide to remake Kanto. And a game with Eevee and Pikachu doesn't mean necessary Kanto? If the newest movies can change such important details of the anime, maybe the games can do something like that too.

And I understand why some members here says a remake of Yellow doesn't make them want a Switch. If I didn't had a Switch, yeah maybe my opinion would be different. I would not want a switch just to play a remake if Yellow (it that's the case). But I have one already so I'll just need the game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Agree with most others here, the "Let's Go" in the title indicates a Pokemon Go style game. Which I definitely do NOT want.

If it is a Yellow remake, which means yet another visit to Kanto, it will have to be very, very different from previous experiences of Kanto. The region would have to have grown and changed a lot over time. Some ideas would involve:

New Gyms and Towns, including towns without gyms but with other things to do. There were lots of festivals and landmarks in the anime in Kanto, why not include them?
Maybe have 10 gyms but only 8 badges needed, so trainers can pick and choose their own routes. Mix up the gyms a bit and don't have the exact same pathway through Kanto as before.
Old Gym Leaders and characters such as Bill, Brock, Misty grown up and not in the same roles as before. A good storyline involving return of Team Rocket would be interesting.
Daily events in Pokemon games have always been incredibly fun, but were missing in Kanto. Things like catching contests, Pokemon who appear at certain times of day, and different things to do to make you really feel part of the game.

They would basically have to change a lot for me to feel the need to buy this game.

HeroLinik

Years
A good storyline involving return of Team Rocket would be interesting.

Team Rocket have been on our minds pretty recently though, what with the addition of Rainbow Rocket into USUM, so there'd probably be riot if we saw Team Rocket for the sixth time (RBY, GSC, FRLG, HGSS, USUM, and now this). If anything, Kanto would benefit quite well if a new evil team was in town, taking over the old Rocket hideout and using it as their own, and having entirely different goals. Having a team that focuses on trying to hack into the Pokemon Storage System would be interesting though.

Back