• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question of the Day

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Great answers! Training and trading seem to be most popular. Thank you 6th gen, for making both of those easier than ever ^^

Question of the Day

What's your worst lost save data horror story? (Remember, save often! Only you can prevent loss of save data!)

pkmin3033

What's your worst lost save data horror story?

This happened to me fairly recently with my copy of Pokemon X. I'd finally managed to get one of every Pokemon in my boxes, and I hadn't touched it for months. I went back to it to get the Diancie event when it was released, and...nothing. The game wouldn't pick up in either of my 3DS. Frantic, I sent it off to Nintendo tech support, who then proceeded to keep quiet for nearly three months before having the audacity to charge me £39.99 for a brand new game: no save data recovery. Apparently the cartridge was faulty, and it happens sometimes with no word of warning. It took me almost a month to find out that much, exactly what they were trying to charge me for. I refused to pay, because why should I? I'd done nothing wrong. Nintendo were the ones at fault, and they'd kept me waiting for months without any idea of what had gone wrong. Without a single word of apology for the delay or for the failure of their product, they sent the faulty cartridge back to me. I sent several very angry e-mails of complaint. They never responded or offered me anything in the way of compensation. Some of the Pokemon on X I'd had since my first Ruby file some ten years previously.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how often you save.

Knyte

Protector of Pokemon Realms
    Years
  • I still play Pokemon Emerald which is my forever favorite considering I dont have a 3ds yet (considering buying this xmas) and I think the most time I've spent is looking for a shiny feebas and planting berries in the process. I mean that was some crazy stuff I did and it took me more than half of my summer.

Years
  • It was on both Pokémon Sapphire and Fire Red.

Sapphire
    Spoiler:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years

• What's your worst lost save data horror story?

This happened to me fairly recently with my copy of Pokemon X. I'd finally managed to get one of every Pokemon in my boxes, and I hadn't touched it for months. I went back to it to get the Diancie event when it was released, and...nothing. The game wouldn't pick up in either of my 3DS. Frantic, I sent it off to Nintendo tech support, who then proceeded to keep quiet for nearly three months before having the audacity to charge me £39.99 for a brand new game: no save data recovery. Apparently the cartridge was faulty, and it happens sometimes with no word of warning. It took me almost a month to find out that much, exactly what they were trying to charge me for. I refused to pay, because why should I? I'd done nothing wrong. Nintendo were the ones at fault, and they'd kept me waiting for months without any idea of what had gone wrong. Without a single word of apology for the delay or for the failure of their product, they sent the faulty cartridge back to me. I sent several very angry e-mails of complaint. They never responded or offered me anything in the way of compensation. Some of the Pokemon on X I'd had since my first Ruby file some ten years previously.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how often you save.

Wow. That's horrible. Like seriously, I'm so disappointed in Nintendo after hearing that. It stinks losing all that history because of a faulty cartridge :(

I didn't even know how to save when I first got into the games but recently I was making a Secret Base in AS for a contest here on PC (For the GT) and I dropped my 3DS by accident, losing like an hour of Secret Base progress. Luckily I came back with a new design and actually won, so it turned out okay in the end.

Making layout out those bases and getting them just right is so tedious! Glad you still won though ^^

I still play Pokemon Emerald which is my forever favorite considering I dont have a 3ds yet (considering buying this xmas) and I think the most time I've spent is looking for a shiny feebas and planting berries in the process. I mean that was some crazy stuff I did and it took me more than half of my summer.

Catching Feebas is hard enough, but a shiny Feebas? Now that's a challenge. Did you ever manage to find one? :)

It was on both Pokémon Sapphire and Fire Red.

Sapphire
    Spoiler:

Ah, another corrupted save story :c I guess even if you save often you're still not entirely safe. That's really impressive though that your Pokes were already all the way up to level 90 when you got to the Elite Four! Did that take long? I rarely even get my Pokemon past 80, even after the Elite Four haha.

Years
  • Ah, another corrupted save story :c I guess even if you save often you're still not entirely safe. That's really impressive though that your Pokes were already all the way up to level 90 when you got to the Elite Four! Did that take long? I rarely even get my Pokemon past 80, even after the Elite Four haha.

There are some times in the game where I don't know how to progress further. I didn't even buy anything from Pokémarts except Pokéballs and a few potions so I didn't really use repels back then. During these times I just battle every trainer I haven't and I battle every Pokémon in the wild. Yeah, it does take time and it can take up to days just for one to grind a Pokémon to level 100.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There were countless amount of moments for me, in which I forgot to save my game before turning off. One would be in Emerald; at one point, I've managed to get through a few locations and defeated around three Gym Leaders straight, all without saving. I wound up getting bored later throughout, and thinking that I did save, I shut the game down. After turning Emerald back on the next night, unfortunately, I've realized that I actually didn't save, and... I was sort of upset at myself, haha.

I'm extra careful nowadays when it comes to saving, and luckily, don't have to face any more troubles related to this.

Years
  • Ah the good old data corruption story, two of which I have had happen to me within a year of each other.

My Black 2 and Alpha Sapphire files went corrupt and I had spent so much work on both, including a solid collection of Pokemon, the former had a very high-leveled Join Avenue while the latter was just a hard game for me to get to where it was. Black 2 went corrupt over a year ago now while AS went bust back in June.

I started a file on White 2 as a "replacement" for Black 2, but I may find myself not wanting to touch my secondary Omega Ruby copy for a while since I don't get motivated enough to play Hoenn games these days.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    My worst save data corruption happened on my copy of FireRed. I liked my ActionReplay a little too much back in those days and it completely destroyed the save, as well as ruining the cartridge too. It was rather upsetting, because it was one of the few games I played early on that I actually managed to get really far in.

I also have a story similar to Peitharchia, from back when I was still a novice player. I didn't know you had to delete a save file to restart on Diamond, so I played through about two gyms worth of the game before trying to save, only to have my heart ripped to shreds when I wasn't allowed to.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I recall losing my save file from a Ruby version. It took me awhile to form my awesome in-game team, training them and leveling up them is one thing. The part of losing the irreplaceable Pokémon are the worse thing ever.

Years
  • Only you can prevent loss of save data!
    This holds true with every game I play with the exception of my first copy of Emerald, which was a bootleg cartridge that was bought for me at a flea market. It had a crappy internal battery, so corruption of my save data happened way more often than it should. What's even worse is the part where you only had about a 1 in 5 probability of it not resetting once you defeated the Pokemon League. My worst case of corruption was when I had been lucky enough to train a full team of level 100 'mons (much harder to do than in the newer games),obtain the full silver set of Frontier Symbols, and a Master Rank ribbon from all 5 categories in Pokemon Contests. It was quite sad knowing that there was nothing I could do to prevent corruption other than not moving the cartridge while the game was saving.

Luckily today I have a custom firmware PSPgo that can run full speed GBA emulators, so playing Emerald is now much more fun without the worry of losing your progress. Loss of save data has not been an issue after transitioning into the Gen VI games because I had learned to identify and avoid any bootleg copies.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • There were countless amount of moments for me, in which I forgot to save my game before turning off. One would be in Emerald; at one point, I've managed to get through a few locations and defeated around three Gym Leaders straight, all without saving. I wound up getting bored later throughout, and thinking that I did save, I shut the game down. After turning Emerald back on the next night, unfortunately, I've realized that I actually didn't save, and... I was sort of upset at myself, haha.

I'm extra careful nowadays when it comes to saving, and luckily, don't have to face any more troubles related to this.

This sounds similar to what I have a bad habit of doing, which is walking away from my game without turning it off, then by the time I get back to it the battery has died. Totally preventable, it's just pure laziness on my part haha

Ah the good old data corruption story, two of which I have had happen to me within a year of each other.

My Black 2 and Alpha Sapphire files went corrupt and I had spent so much work on both, including a solid collection of Pokemon, the former had a very high-leveled Join Avenue while the latter was just a hard game for me to get to where it was. Black 2 went corrupt over a year ago now while AS went bust back in June.

I started a file on White 2 as a "replacement" for Black 2, but I may find myself not wanting to touch my secondary Omega Ruby copy for a while since I don't get motivated enough to play Hoenn games these days.

Having to start over always stinks :c Did you end up getting close to where you were before in your White 2 replacement?

My worst save data corruption happened on my copy of FireRed. I liked my ActionReplay a little too much back in those days and it completely destroyed the save, as well as ruining the cartridge too. It was rather upsetting, because it was one of the few games I played early on that I actually managed to get really far in.

I also have a story similar to Peitharchia, from back when I was still a novice player. I didn't know you had to delete a save file to restart on Diamond, so I played through about two gyms worth of the game before trying to save, only to have my heart ripped to shreds when I wasn't allowed to.

Action replay was a lot of fun during its time, but it was a little too...aggressive in the way it messed with cartridge data. I've heard so many horror stories, which always made me terrified to use it as a kid.

The whole "one save file per cartridge" thing takes some getting used to when you're first starting, I'm sure, since there's not very many games other than Pokemon that are like that. It's a good thing you didn't save over your existing Diamond save file though!

I recall losing my save file from a Ruby version. It took me awhile to form my awesome in-game team, training them and leveling up them is one thing. The part of losing the irreplaceable Pokémon are the worse thing ever.

It's a terrible feeling, Pokemon really is the worst game to lose save data in for that reason :'(

Luckily today I have a custom firmware PSPgo that can run full speed GBA emulators, so playing Emerald is now much more fun without the worry of losing your progress. Loss of save data has not been an issue after transitioning into the Gen VI games because I had learned to identify and avoid any bootleg copies.

Yea, lost save data becomes a total non-issue when you're on a emulator. Yay for save states!

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    The whole "one save file per cartridge" thing takes some getting used to when you're first starting, I'm sure, since there's not very many games other than Pokemon that are like that. It's a good thing you didn't save over your existing Diamond save file though!

More like a bad thing. ;)
    My original Diamond save left a lot to be desired.

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    The worst story I can think of was with a used Silver game that I got from Gamestop. I started up a new game and got to the first gym, saved the game and went to bed. Next day, I started it up and the save file was corrupted, so I had to start a new game. I tried saving several times and each time I got a corrupted file. I gave up and have never played a game before Gen 3 since then. It was a shame because SoulSilver turned out to be my favorite game until X and Y. Wish I could have played the original.
    I also had an Emerald game that I lent to someone and he never gave it back. I'm sure my file is gone now. I lost several legendaries and many of my original Pokemon from my first ever Pokemon journey traded over from Sapphire.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • The worst story I can think of was with a used Silver game that I got from Gamestop. I started up a new game and got to the first gym, saved the game and went to bed. Next day, I started it up and the save file was corrupted, so I had to start a new game. I tried saving several times and each time I got a corrupted file. I gave up and have never played a game before Gen 3 since then. It was a shame because SoulSilver turned out to be my favorite game until X and Y. Wish I could have played the original.
    I also had an Emerald game that I lent to someone and he never gave it back. I'm sure my file is gone now. I lost several legendaries and many of my original Pokemon from my first ever Pokemon journey traded over from Sapphire.

Oh wow, was this recent? Older cartridges tend to be really unreliable, unfortunately :c

Question of the day

What's the oldest Pokemon game you currently have in your possession?

pkmin3033

That'd be my copy of Pokemon Yellow, which is...upstairs somewhere. I've long since lost my copy of Red and, whilst I do have a copy of Blue, I didn't get it until sometime after Ruby and Sapphire were released.

Years
  • What's the oldest Pokemon game you currently have in your possession?

Sapphire! I still have and play my gen 3 games~

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    My Pokémon Emerald: Happy 10th Anniversary to my game pak! ^_^
    My Silver and Yellow vanished as we move to different places.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • What's the oldest Pokemon game you currently have in your possession?
    My Pokémon Emerald: Happy 10th Anniversary to my game pak! ^_^
    My Silver and Yellow vanished as we move to different places.

Happy 10th anniversary! ^^

I still have my original Pokemon Yellow, which amazingly I got around the time Pokemon was first released in America. It actually does turn on and go through the title sequels, but the graphics glitch up once you up the save file haha

Reactions: Sun
    Years
  • My oldest game that I have is my original Ruby, this year will mark it being 12 years old. It was my 11th birthday when I first played and I was hooked from the instant and that's what shaped up my Pokemon interests as they are today.

Back