• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Controversial Opinions

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Both Rave and Fairy Tail are pretty good series.
    The above also applies to One Piece
    I don't think this is controversial, though. It's not as popular in the US which is mostly thanks to 4Kids. Their not caring about the series to make proper advertising as well as the censoring didn't do it any favors. Outside of the US, though, that's a completely different story.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
    Years
  • I like both Fairy tail and Black Clover but both are series a lot of the Anime fandom overall seems to dislike because Fairy Tail is "friendship is power" and sometimes they win fights by bullcrapping about friendship and Black Clover is "a Naruto, Bleach and Fairy tail ripoff". Black Clover is somewhat starting to earn a bit more credit now though and deserved. The anime especially is really good. Yes there are filler arcs but they are written by the mangaka himself and he has control over what happens in the anime. Every filler arc is canon in these series and hnnngggggg. They're not even that long ;v;

I really like Black Clover ;v;

... And Fairy Tail too. It was enjoyable to watch.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Yeah I forgot about that

Black Clover and Fairy Tail are extremely good

Black Clover just takes a while to get good but once it does... it just gets better and better

Fairy Tail I LOVED THE SHIT OUT OF and never stopped liking it. The only thing that was 'meh' was the Eclipse Celestial Spirit Filler Arc

Years
  • I like both Fairy tail and Black Clover but both are series a lot of the Anime fandom overall seems to dislike because Fairy Tail is "friendship is power" and sometimes they win fights by bullcrapping about friendship.

Honestly, I don't think the problem with Fairy Tail is that it likes to invoke The Power of Friendship. That's a staple trope in the genre that almost every shounen series makes use of and it's given Fairy Tail some of its best moments. The problems with Fairy Tail are more based in bad writing practices. For example, it's not a problem that former enemies become allies or have redemption arcs, but it is a problem that it becomes extremely repetitive. It's not a problem that friendship motivates the characters to new heights, it's a problem that it's the soul justification for winning unwinnable situations. It's biggest problem is that it has an expansive cast of extremely interesting characters and most of them are routinely sidelined in favour of hyping up two extremely dull protagonists in Erza and Natsu - especially Natsu who's just an even dumber Luffy, but with Ace's powers. For example, Laxus' big return and redemption is completely undercut by Natsu, and don't even get me started on Natsu and Gajeel vs Sting and Rogue.

I do agree though, that because of our cultural awareness of all that bad stuff, people are totally unwilling to acknowledge the good stuff in Fairy Tail - and that stuff really does exist. The Fairy Tail guild alone has a bunch of great characters present like Grey, Wendy, Levy, Gajeel, Laxus, Cana and so on and so forth - all of whom would be better central characters. Hell, even Lucy gets progressively better as the show continues, she's fantastic in Tartarus (the last arc I watched). The music is fantastic too and there's some individual scenes/fights that are up there with the big names in the genre.

All the love for Naruto I'm seeing in here makes me happy though. It has a similar problem where people seem to only want to remember the bad stuff - the final arc, all the filler, Sasuke's story arc being handled terribly, Sakura most of the time. But the world is really interesting, the overall story is compelling and it has some of the best character writing in the genre despite having a huge cast of characters. So many of the prominent characters are interesting, compelling and/or likeable and several of them undergo excellent development. This was the first time I saw a series in this genre that had more than two or three characters actually grow and change - and one of them was the protagonist! Compare that to One Piece where the world itself and the mysteries surrounding it are typically way more interesting than the characters that inhabit it.

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely big flaws in both shows and we can and should criticize them, otherwise writers will repeat those mistakes. However, I think it's important to point out what series do right as well because there's a lot for creators to learn from that too.

UnderKingSerenade

Hex Maniac
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2024
    Darling in the Franxx wasn't a bad series, people hate on just because the ending didn't deliver.
    Me and a whole group of guys started watching it for the robot fights and ended up getting more interested in the love and betrayal. Zero Two is still an egirl staple years after the anime finished.

Years
  • For as good as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is, I genuinely don't understand what people mean when they call it "the perfect combination of action and comedy" because the comedy bits are painfully unfunny. Most of the jokes in the show are just a repeat of the statement "Ed is short" and it gets old very quickly, not to mention how any comedy scenes contrast the action scenes and break the flow so much that I've never been able to get the sentiment. I'm sure its a lot less jarring in the manga by the nature of the medium but that wouldn't make Ed's height any more funny. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a solid series, but I roll my eyes every time the same gag is recycled.

For something I genuinely think is a perfect mix of action and comedy, I would point to a lot of stuff headed by Hiroyuki Imaishi- the man responsible for Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, and Promare. In said works, the characters and animation are so flexible that both serious and comedic moments don't contrast so heavily, and honestly I don't think that's something that can be said about most anime honestly.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i actually don't watch a lot of anime and honestly have no idea if this opinion is unpopular per se, but having just binged death note this weekend, i gotta say...

Spoiler:

Years
  • i actually don't watch a lot of anime and honestly have no idea if this opinion is unpopular per se, but having just binged death note this weekend, i gotta say...

Spoiler:

This is a pretty common consensus tbh. The second half is definitely weaker.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • This is a pretty common consensus tbh. The second half is definitely weaker.

haha. i posted smth about finally watching it on facebook today and most of the comments i got were the same thing i had issue with, so then i thought back to the post i made here and i was like well i guess that wasn't unpopular after all. well...good to know. i mean i like near and mello, they're fine, but man. i just was not invested anymore.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    SAO hehe. I mean, I really love the first season and can rewatch it and thoroughly enjoy it. The premise is amazing. Maybe the second season too (by that I do mean the Alfheim arc although that's actually really part of the first season too I guess.

So many bash this show though. Me too, to some degree haha.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years

Spoiler:

nah fuck near lmfao i love him but i gotta admit the second half of death note was and never will be as good as the first half

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or anything, but Bleach is actually a very well written manga series that people definitely do not appreciate enough. People probably just hate on it because the anime adaption, but that's expected I guess.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or anything, but Bleach is actually a very well written manga series that people definitely do not appreciate enough. People probably just hate on it because the anime adaption, but that's expected I guess.

Can confirm, I have not read the manga but I can't stand Bleach based on the anime. I watched about three or four episodes in my teens and was bored out of my mind.

Years

Spoiler:

This is not really an unpopular opinion at all, but 100 percent agree.

As for mine...

Mainstream anime isn't bad! I actually enjoy My Hero Academia a bit. I pretty much grew up watching anime stuff on Toonami, Adult Swim, etc.
    I actually didn't mind the Talk no Jutsu stuff in Naruto.
    I never could get into any Studio Ghibli film.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • Reading through this thread I was surprised to see people seem to think hating Naruto is the consensus? So I didn't know this was a controversial opinion but I guess it could be?;
    Naruto is a 10/10 masterpiece with some of the best world building, art and character designs in the entire medium.

From what I understood whatever's popular tends to get a lot of hate, and for forever Naruto has been one of the most popular anime/manga, but thought it was generally beloved by those who've seen it. Most people I see calling it "trash" are the snooty elitist types who haven't even watched/read it or tend to be into very specific niches/genres that ofc Naruto doesn't fit.
    Spoiler:

One more I can try and muster:
    Erwin is the best character in AOT, not Eren or Levi. They're not second either, second is Hange.

Years

• For sure, the popularity makes it also popular to shit on. I wouldn't say it's a 10/10 series though. While I 100% agree that it's one of the better shounen actions series out there, especially out of the old guard, there are definitely reasonable critiques. The final arc is not good at all, while there's some very good filler episodes (some that elevate the show even) there's a lot of filler that we'd be better off without too, and there's certainly too much. While there's a lot of incredible characters and brilliant character development, two of the main three characters are handled pretty poorly and are - as a result - hugely overshadowed by better developed/managed members of the supporting cast etc etc.

It's one of those shows where it's just become popular to hate on it for its flaws rather than to acknowledge all the things it does right and what it did for the genre as a whole.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • It's one of those shows where it's just become popular to hate on it for its flaws rather than to acknowledge all the things it does right and what it did for the genre as a whole.

Fully respect your opinion and 100% agree with this statement, I understand it's not gonna be a 10/10 for everyone and I'm certainly not claiming it's a flawless series just certainly a 10/10 for me personally and I have a fair share of experience with the medium so it's not like I'm just getting into anime and all I've seen is Naruto.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I thought of another one.

The entirety of the SAO franchise was ripped off from the .hack franchise (which is INFINITELY better than it anyway)

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I thought of another one.

The entirety of the SAO franchise was ripped off from the .hack franchise (which is INFINITELY better than it anyway)

.hack is so much better than SAO, but I also think SAO doesn't deserve as much hate as it gets either, it's not great but it's not as terrible as some people make out imo it's pretty average. I'd agree it's overhyped at least!

Years

Spoiler:

I read somewhere (not sure how correct this information is) that
    Spoiler:

On another note, should we even be putting this in spoilers, I mean people probably already saw Death Note.

Back