• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Nintendo Switch Discussion [OUT NOW!]

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    EB Games Australia is insane with their price estimate, but given US pricing I'm assuming it'll be ~500 at most. Putting down pre-order now because if the Nintendo NES (I think that's what it was called?) is any indication then they'll cut off pre-orders within 48 hours due to interest and not enough consoles imo. At least if I'm one of the first it'll make me one of the first to get it if it has to be on order of when it was ordered... if that makes sense lol

Looking forward to the Zelda game but idrc about anything else. Never played Splatoon (never had wii u) so I'm fine not jumping on that. Gonna split getting it with bf... at least until it gets cheaper lol

Years
  • Welp.

It's definitely going to be a matter of when I can get a Switch, not if.

Not too excited with the lineup so far (although Zelda!!!), but does look promising. I want.
    (I mean, it would still probably get more use than the PS4 sitting here ever did in terms of games, hah.)

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I already own MK8 and its DLC, I own Skyrim twice, and really little else shown superbly appealed to me. Splatoon 2 is...decent, but I was never good at the first and lost interest after a time. :/

Fire Emblem, Odyssey, and Breath are all that appeal to me. Odyssey looks fantastic, as does Breath, but neither are enough to get me to buy the console I'm sad to say.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • Unlike others I'm not that fussed about the price...but that doesn't personally justify worth getting it day one either. Zelda looked fantastic, but looking at its launch lineup it's gonna steer the maiden voyage until Spla2oon and then Super Mario Odyssey. In a way, I'm getting flashbacks to the original Nintendo 3DS line up of 2011. Nothing too bad, and could have been a lot worse if BotW wasn't available at launch.

The power consumption is definitely something to note; 2 on highest settings and up to 6 on lowest? I really don't see this be much of a portable juggernaut for people all the time if that's the case. Still, playing the aforementioned titles on the go is a plus in some respects. Hopefully later down the line the go back and improve on this aspect. It'll suck if this becomes a major complaint about the Switch during its lifespan.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • It's interesting how the Switch apparently has slightly worse battery life than the New 3DS. I hope for the sake of those who plan on playing it on the go more that third party manufacturers develop something akin to a Power Pack of some sort to provide some extra juice, although I'm not sure how that's going to fit on the Switch.

I hope so too, but like you said we don't really know how it would physically attach for on the go purposes.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Oh, good, paid online. Good to know that's kept spreading from X-Box like the grotesque disease it is. Well, whatever. Sucks I won't be able to play Splatoon 2, but no way am I feeding into that nonsense. Never paid for my PS4 to be online, not paying for this. I'd like to believe people will be vocal about this and they'll change it, but it hasn't happened for the others, and it won't here.

I'm still super hyped for Zelda, though. Until it's revealed that you have to be online to play and it has microtransactions.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • The nintendo switch is:
    • Priced to be competetive with other consoles
    • Paid multiplayer is crap and nintendo know it, but they want to get more money from the fans
    • underpowered, so it'll never be competitive
    • 2 3rd party games on launch is nearly nothing

But also:
    • People know that nintendo hardware sucks
    • People buy it anyway, for the games, and therefore
    • Nintendo stay alive due to unquestioned fan loyalty, just like apple

Am I the only person who wishes nintendo would publish their games on decent hardware from other manufacturers, instead of trying to make their own and forcing us to spend way too much money on a console nobody would care about otherwise?

Except if there's an open devkit and I can make homebrew, but that'll never happen.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Tbh, I wasn't expecting them to reveal everything that I wanted right now but I'm content! Definitely sold on Mario Kart Deluxe and I'm looking forward to future reveals as the weeks go on.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Overall I like it. The Australian prices suck but they always have. I can only hope to price-match on the day. (Americans please don't complain about the price, even with tax we're paying more than you on all counts. :<)

LoZ and Mario look amazing. Splatoon 2's only disappointment is that it isn't called Spla2oon. Paid online sucks but it's not that surprising, and given that it'll mean likely better servers, that's a silver lining. Also free game every month when the paid service starts - NES/SNES - with online.
    Monthly game download
    Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Exclusive deals
    Special offers for subscribers may include discounts on select digital games and content.
    Also voice chat confirmed. And region free is nice.

Bomberman being back is cool. Xenoblade 2 is fantastic news! Let's hope for british voices and more great story/characters like its former title.

Years
  • UK Price: £279.99
    US Price: $299

Current exchange rate = £1 = $1.21
    So, £279.99 = $341.

Go screw yourself.

Overall, I'm not overly keen on it. The games announced this time around I'm not bothered about. Battery life is sub-par. I mean, we didn't really expect much, but yeah. And they're actually charging you (after the first month) to go online? I see they've taken Microsofts money grabbing route there. I'm fine with the PS4 for now.

Also, considering how bad Nintendo are and have been with their Internet connections in the past on consoles, they must have really stepped up their game to justify charging for you to use it.​

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • UK Price: £279.99
    US Price: $299

Current exchange rate = £1 = $1.21
    So, £279.99 = $341.

Go screw yourself.

Overall, I'm not overly keen on it. The games announced this time around I'm not bothered about. Battery life is sub-par. I mean, we didn't really expect much, but yeah. And they're actually charging you (after the first month) to go online? I see they've taken Microsofts money grabbing route there. I'm fine with the PS4 for now.

Also, considering how bad Nintendo are and have been with their Internet connections in the past on consoles, they must have really stepped up their game to justify charging for you to use it.​
    I honestly don't know - does UK have additional tax on prices like the US? It's closer to matching if not. (Meanwhile Australia is pricier than the UK's conversion. Wah for me. :<)

Battery life is pretty good imo given it's matching the 3DS (worst is slightly worse, best is slightly better) and does the home console deal - and comes with an USB-C AC adaptor and will work with power banks (woo).

I sure hope the servers do get upgraded significantly to reflect the paid online fee!

MUDKIP!!!

Well, there's no pokemon games, so I'm likely wait ing till next Christmas, or my brother is gonna get it. Excited for Zelda, mario, any new pokemon titles, fire emblem, and idk whatdisgaea is, but I heard d grinding, and I like it

Years
  • Wow. £279.99 works out to about $448 CAD. We apparently pay less??? ($399.99) I thought our price was a bit steep...

I guess that's also the implication of the morons voting for Brexit.
    I'm going to just keep an eye out for it for now and see if any interesting games come out.​

Sir Codin

I'm not going to fall for the same trick twice.

Breath of the Wild was developed originally for the Wii U same as Twilight Princess was originally developed for the Gamecube, yet both games are ported over to the new consoles as a launch title yet when I bought the Wii it turned out to be a disappointment.

To spend $60 for a version that might have some minor framerate drops or to spend close to $400 on uncertainty....hmmm......eh, who am I kidding? I'll probably get the Switch anyway.

And yes, for some reason once again game developers can't seem to grasp the concept of exchange rates.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • At £279.99 I'm most probably gonna hold off from a release day purchase/pre-order. I'm content with the console as a whole, but with the price being higher than expected and the launch line-up not having much appeal to me right now, I'd rather wait until it comes down in price and see what other games are being developed.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Just gonna leave this here:

Spoiler:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm hoping that the paid online service is like Poke Bank where we only have to pay once every year. It'll be a much better deal than monthly payments in Xbox systems.

We're getting a couple of new IPs like 1 2 Switch and ARMS, but you know how fans will ignore them for these following reasons.

I think someone owes me an apology for thinking Splatoon 2 was going to be port a few months ago, but no hard feelings since Mario Kart is also confirmed to be an extended port (now we need Kirby and Pikachu in the roster). Super Mario Odyssey, or should I say Mayro's Bizarre Adventure, is a definite day-one purchase from me.

But what really made this presentation worth it was all of the Switch rumors being utterly destroyed, further ruining credibility to known rumor mongers.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Zelda and Bomberman Super R will be my launch titles. Assuming I can get a pre-order of them on Amazon. I got the console... just not the games.

Years
  • If I had the money the switch still wouldn't be a day one purchase from me. I thought the presentation was lackluster, I did like how they showcased the rumble feature though.

Back