• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MOBAs

Years
  • Do we have any MOBA players here? Which one(s) do you play? Are you a filthy casual or are you a s e r i o u s g a m e r? What characters/roles do you play?

I had a brief stint with Smite a long way back but my MOBA of choice is League, although I'm pretty new to it really and very much more of a casual player than someone seriously dedicated to the game.

Cid

Years
  • Do we have any MOBA players here? Which one(s) do you play? Are you a filthy casual or are you a s e r i o u s g a m e r? What characters/roles do you play?

I had a brief stint with Smite a long way back but my MOBA of choice is League, although I'm pretty new to it really and very much more of a casual player than someone seriously dedicated to the game.

I have to say I've never tried a game under the MOBA genre in my life. I've always been scared of getting too addicted to something like it, since it's a huge deal in the Philippines, and teens actually stopped going to class from their addiction. That stigma just stuck to me, so I never tried it.

I'm sure it's fun to play as a genre, and I'll get to experience it eventually. But right now, I don't really have a compelling reason to try it.

TheeWizard

Brad
    Years

I use to play Dota 2 a lot, I wasn't very good but I was very addicted, I have about 1161 hours on the game but haven't played a proper match in years. I could never get into LOL but I know its definitely more popular.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I love LoL but i'm a filthy casual who really sucks at it. Mainly because I'm old and slow and don't practice enough :3

Years
  • I use to play Dota 2 a lot, I wasn't very good but I was very addicted, I have about 1161 hours on the game but haven't played a proper match in years. I could never get into LOL but I know its definitely more popular.

I have Dota 2 downloaded but I have yet to actually try it. Is it very different to LoL? Seems like there's very few people who really enjoy both.

I love LoL but i'm a filthy casual who really sucks at it. Mainly because I'm old and slow and don't practice enough :3

We should play some time and be terrible together lol

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I have Dota 2 downloaded but I have yet to actually try it. Is it very different to LoL? Seems like there's very few people who really enjoy both.

Sure but u gotta be the one to lag and come to EUW server because I can't stand it lmao

TheeWizard

Brad
    Years
  • I have Dota 2 downloaded but I have yet to actually try it. Is it very different to LoL? Seems like there's very few people who really enjoy both.

Apart from the map and characters.
    I haven't played League enough to give you a proper answer I'm afraid.
    But a lot of the mechanics are different, like last hitting creeps, in Dota 2 you can also deny your own creeps which stop the enemy team getting XP and gold.
    In Dota 2 you have a courier that can deliver you items without having to return to the fountain (the spawn base), I don't think there are couriers in LOL.
    In LOL, a champion turns and moves instantly, but in Dota 2, players must wait for the hero to turn and face the other direction before he/she will walk forward.
    Players can choose two summoner spells before a game in LOL - these contain different abilities that can be used during a match you can't do this In Dota 2.
    Another major difference between LoL and Dota 2 is talents. Talents are traits unique to each hero that are chosen every fifth level, starting at level 10 that gives a buff to a heroes attributes, additional gold, or experience gain, they can also boost a heroes abilities.

Years
  • Apart from the map and characters.
    I haven't played League enough to give you a proper answer I'm afraid.
    But a lot of the mechanics are different, like last hitting creeps, in Dota 2 you can also deny your own creeps which stop the enemy team getting XP and gold.
    In Dota 2 you have a courier that can deliver you items without having to return to the fountain (the spawn base), I don't think there are couriers in LOL.
    In LOL, a champion turns and moves instantly, but in Dota 2, players must wait for the hero to turn and face the other direction before he/she will walk forward.
    Players can choose two summoner spells before a game in LOL - these contain different abilities that can be used during a match you can't do this In Dota 2.
    Another major difference between LoL and Dota 2 is talents. Talents are traits unique to each hero that are chosen every fifth level, starting at level 10 that gives a buff to a heroes attributes, additional gold, or experience gain, they can also boost a heroes abilities.

I'll be sure to give Dota a try some time soon. Some of those mechanics sound interesting, although maybe a bit complex. I bet the courier is a nice addition though.

Years
  • I can fill you in on a few details to Dota 2; I play it a lot to be 'OK' at the game. Not perfect, not pro but OK.
    If you've already tried it, then these are some note's to take note of since they never tell you in the game straight off the bat.

Your Inhibitors in Dota 2 are Barracks; and they come in 2 forms. Melee Barracks and Ranged Barracks. If you destroy.... Let's say the Ranged Barracks for the top lane of your opponent, then the minions/creeps you spawn will get upgraded to SUPER Range minions/creeps for that lane. Destroy them both, you get both Melee and Ranged Super Creeps. Destroy All of the barrack's, and you spawn MEGA creeps... Which, if I had to describe them; you can think of them as mini-champions or mini-heroes with a high damage rate that can almost ensure your game has a slam-dunk... And UNLIKE League's Inhibitors, the barrack's don't come back; once they're gone, they stay gone until you start a new game.

98% Attack's and Spell casting are based on where your hero is facing... What does this mean? If you want to cast, say, Lina's Dragon Slave spell which is a ball of fire, she will turn towards that direction first before she cast's the spell. In fact, almost all of the characters will turn to face their targets when attacking or casting anything from debuffs to buffs and so on. The characters take less than a second to turn to face their target but in a life or death situation in a match, you'll find it a huge pain in the ass. The other 2% where spell casting's don't require the heroes to face are items, passives such as aura's and ultimate's or [R] skill's that affect everyone. - I know this was explained earlier, though a bright idea of detail is notable.

Wards help, they change wards and the rules about them every major patch update, but their purpose remains the same in their effect's. IF you get a yellow one, Observer ward, you can place them on Pillars with eye's plastered on the top of a decent ranged view of some areas or in the jungles to either HUNT a particular hero or DODGE a gank.

Next; READ THE PATCH NOTES! Not every single patch note out there, but when they perform a big one and announce it; read it thoroughly... Why? The patch notes include important game rule changes to the matches on EVERYTHING! The price change for healing Tango items, the removal and addendum or new hero spells/skills along with the new mechanic's. Which hero get's nerfed hard and which hero get's an unfair advantage in the next update... Do you have to read all of it? No; HOWEVER, it is important to read the general updates and the updates to new mechanics, know how they work. You can skim the rest unless your curious about your favorite hero or your most disliked hero... Why is this important though? The outpost's in the game's newest patch that give a rest teleport spot and true sight to the area can't be claimed until and after the 10-minute mark.... which is in the general updates and new mechanics.

There is a higher turn-around Rate in Dota 2 than LOL.... Or at least in my experience. I don't settle on one game, I dabble left and right; including Dota 2 and LOL. In League, once you lose your last tower, at the core, your attempt to make a comeback is sealed and there is no way to walk away with a win. Dota 2 on the other hand, you could loose your last tower, loose your barracks, just fiercely defended your base from an opponent's attack, stare down a massive wave of mega-creeps and still pull a victory from their cold, dead, taunting and toxic sludge-slinging hands.... And I've not only played but witnessed a large number of games where the players we're able to do just that... I know there are a lot of differences between Dota 2 and I'm willing to wager there are a few turn-arounds in League, though I have experienced this more and more going through Dota 2 than LOL. It's due to THAT factor why I still enjoy playing the game over LOL. If my opponent has a chance, I'd rather them take that chance and make the game hard, make it fun and worth playing. If I'm doing terrible, we're down to our ancient, I'll still stay in the game and fight until either ancient is dead. I would rather give the other team their worth in the game than to just lay over like some jack-ass and hand the whole game over to them on a platter.... I guess what I'm getting at is; it's one of the few reasons I love Dota 2 Over the LOL.... Just kinda wish there we're more players who would choose to play to the end than just give it up... If ya want; I'll post some of my matches on those or what was done to get through the end.

Which leads me to another feature not in Dota2; you can't forfeit mid-late game. Dota 2 Tournament's have that option, since they're on a time crunch to start, but all standard matches do not have that option. A lot of people abandon the game mid-way just by simply leaving it; which is doable, though if you do it too many times for being a sore sportsman, they can put you on a 6-month ban; continued ban on that caliber can earn a permanent ban through IP and steam account... Just don't Leave your games mid-way unless it's safe.

In LOL, you have you 3 Damage Types: Ability/Magic, Physical, True Damage.
    Dota 2 has: Magic, Physical and Pure.
    There is a Difference between the two on True Damage and Pure. True damage can be blocked by HP shields and other effect's. Pure Damage in Dota 2 IGNORES all armor types from Magic to Physical and deals the damage directly. I've yet to see a Re-work on the types since then.

Last bit and I'll hush; Though I don't know what governs the stats in LOL; The stats in Dota 2 champs are determined by 3 Attributes.
    Strength: Determines your Max HP, how much health you regenerate and your resistance to magic Damage.
    Agility: Determines Move Speed, Attack Speed and Armor... Which deals in Dodging attack's and litteral armor... I don't know why, but it's the games mechanic's, Blame Ice Frog and Blizzard, I didn't write the rules.
    Intelligence: Determines Mana Pool, Mana Regeneration and your Spell's Amp..... The last being how much more damage does your spell do. It's a small but noticeable number.

There are items that cater to these traits and the secondary stats, So be sure about what you need while in play.

.... I think I went overboard on the primer... I hope it helps.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I got bored; so I'm posting one of my Dota 2 stories.

It was a match-up where we had 2 beefy hero's, Strength Attributed. A high intellegent Nuker a speedy damage dealer and I played a poison slinger, the Venomancer.

The match I played was before they did the Outland patch, and we had a rocky start at the beginning as 3 or our opponent's we're carries, a Blood Seeker, a Phantom Assassin and Wind Ranger while the other two heroes we're supports warding their jungles and dewarding, mostly ganking us when we went to ward our spots. We we're ganked, and attacked at almost every single turn, even in Team Fights, it was a slaughter at every 5 minute interval. We lost our Mid tower first before they claimed the top barracks and the 3rd Tower tier. I was finally getting to my last level and the last tier in my talent tree before the claimed the bottom barracks and tower and my team was finally getting the last coins of gold for the proper items, though we had a problem, not all of us we're up or ready to fight back, our damage dealer and bother are tanks we're out, leaving me, the nuker and our creeps to shore up defenses.

We last our last barracks and one of our core towers. Venomance has a spell to place stationary wards that attack anything targetable and visible within a couple Dota 2 units and they had good range. Seeing as we we're about to stare down Megas, I backed away from all three entrances into our base, bought into the talent to upgrade my poison wards along with an Eul's Scepter which allows my to remove debuff's + become untargetable for a few seconds and hunkered down around our last tower. When dealing with the high damage dealers, which they came in one at a time instead of as a group, went for the nuker as I was setting up shop and stayed there. The Megas came in, as the wards fired and I mowed them down using every spell I had, my ult especially when the nuker died out and our tanks we're coming up. An Ult, a few seconds of my poison passive and my Eul's Scepter, I bought time and was able to fend off against the coming, high damage-dealing MEGA creeps, though I have to say this was NOT easy.

As our tanks came back on, I bought into a Veil of Discord which gives a debuff to reduce magic resistance since Venomancer's poison damage is Magic based and was able to fend off Phantom Assassin. When our team was back in full and the opponents last chance to finish us off fast was put on hold, the Nuker held the base defenses as I helped the rest of our group storm the mid lane, the barracks and the Ancient; we didn't have time to take out all of their barracks and if their big damage dealers came back while we did that, then we may have lost. It was an all or nothing so we went for the ancient. A few minutes of a tough fight, spells and skills flinging everywhere though we came out on top victorious.... Though I died mid fight into their base, seeing as I was dealing enough damage to end their Phantom Assassin from a full bar of health , I became their first target, though in retrospect, they should have went after the one who was dealing the damage in spades to their buildings.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • I play Dota2, but only with friends and not competitively. The heroes that I usually play are Leshrac and Venomancer.

Back