• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is emboar hated so much?

TepigLover101

I am a tepig who has hair
Years
  • Trust me I hate emboar as much as the next guy but I still cant help but kinda like it too. I can see why no one likes it
    you see エンボアは愛されていない Other wise known as emboar is flat out bad He's so ugly that he ruined tepigs character same with pignite tbh but while emboar is ugly he does look pretty dang epic .Emboar is also Gigantic he's so big he could crush you in 2 seconds with his fingers .WHO THOUGHT OF THIS! WHY WOULD YOU BE SO MEAN AND MAKE AN AWESOME POKEMON HAVE SUCH A TERRIBLE POKEMON EVOLUTION.whew got that out of my system. see emboar is ok but the fact that tepig is the first evolution it just makes it worse.

THAT WAS THEIR MISTAKE

Years
  • It's okay. I used to not care for it, but nowadays I realize more clearly that it's based on a Chinese general, and that has made it seem cooler to me. It's Pignite that I think is the odd child out ):

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • People hate Emboar because it's yet another Fire/Fighting type starter, I guess. I'm rather indifferent to Emboar, so I guess that doesn't matter to me.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I think it's okay, really. I'm not big into fire type starters as a whole. It's yet another Fire/Fighting and the Unova starters are probably the ehest so far after Johto's and Galar's. I think it would be better if it was Fire/Dark instead of Fire/Fightning the hate would decrease a lot that way imo

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Honestly it's just pretty ugly (though none of Gen 5's starter final evos are particularly great looking imo) and the repeated typing doesnt help

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I love how it looks, but being the third fire/fight starter in a row does not help. Anyway, I chose it for my first Unovan adventure because I loved Tepig's design. I didn't like how Pignite looked, but Emboar gets a thumbs-up from me. Some random trivia:
    Spoiler:

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • I never hated him, he's my favorite gen 5 starter. I guess it's because of the Fire/Fighting problem or because of its concept, but he's still great to me...

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • I actually really like Emboar! I didn't like it at first but after using one in a White 2 runthrough I've really come to like the powerhouse boar. Creative design and cool inspiration. Plus a decent fighter. It even learns Scald which is a cool nod too as well.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    It's my absolute least favorite final starter form for two reasons. The first reason is the typing. To me Blaziken is our lord and savior of the fire/fighting type. Why the decision was made to form a Pokemon of the same typing for three generations in a row as a starter (each consistently getting worse) is beyond me. The second reason is the design. Tepig is a great start as a starter line. It's a cute little pig that could turn into a big scary quadrupedal fire boar. But instead we got a goofy two legged boar with a flaming neck and shoulders.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I don't particularly hate Emboar, although I do prefer Serperior and Samurrot over it, and also Blaziken and Infernape. There aren't any starter Pokémon that I actively dislike.

Years
  • for me, a lot of it comes down to design. it may be shallow, but it is a part of a pokemon's appeal to me. i don't really care for Emboar's design, and in addition to that, i don't really have strong feelings about Fire-types in particular. so it's never been a pokemon i've particularly cared for.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I don't mind it, actually. It's a huge improvement from both Tepig and Pignite, in my opinion. I just think in comparison to other starters, it kind of falls flat. Serperior and Samurott both have such marvelous designs and overshadow Embroar, it just simply doesn't measure up!

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Because it's the third Fire/Fighting-type we've had in a row. Whether Emboar's design is good is another story, but it's not my most favorite.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • As mentioned, repeated typing and design.

To me, Emboar is a huge missed opportunity, the idea of a pig being a Chinese legend is brilliant but it could have been executed better therefore looking incomplete and generic looking in my eyes. If I were in charge of designing it, I would expand the tusks, perhaps change its typing to Fire/Dark because pig demon, and incorporate the flames better because it looks tacked on. According to Nintendo Dream translated by Dr. Lava, Emboar (and family) is meant to be the funny one so I would also make it goofy looking. I don't hate it, I just find it disappointing.

I tried redesigning it once and it looked like it was from a Zelda game. Maybe I will later.

Chillie

The Easygoing Pokenerd~
    Years
  • I personally think it makes sense Emboar would look like that considering it is based on that one pig demon character from Journey To The West. Also a military commander from another Japanese tale. I dunno, I don't think it really ruins anything about Tepig. I think it's more a case of poor timing considering Emboar is the most alienating-looking of the three Fire-Fighters. Emboar is fat and ugly, but I think that was kinda the point lol. Real pigs are actually like this which I find hilarious. Those tiny widdle piglets you cuddle grow up into these huge lazy lards who are in general way uglier. And it's fine if you like the lil piglet more, it's common to gravitate towards the cute and smol over the big and grotesque.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    I like both Emboar and Tepig! Pignite is weird, but a lot of the mid-starter evolutions are. I certainly think Samurott is superior as it's my fav gen 5 starter, but I like the whole Tepig line more than the Snivy line and struggle to understand the love some have for the Snivy line, tbh.

I get that people don't like that it's the third fire/fighting starter in a row, but I like Emboar more than Infernape personally because Infernape felt like an inferior version of Blaziken(very similar design and overall concept in my opinion). Emboar, on the other hand, is at least a very different design and has access to different moves(ex scald, some dark and rock type moves) and the concept of the move heat crash gaining power based on the difference in size between Emboar and his opponent is really cool.

Of course, I used Tepig as my starter in Black 2 and enjoyed using it very much, so maybe I am biased, but I think if people would try it in a playthrough they would be pleasantly surprised.

Uragirimono

this profile is embarassing dont look at me
    Years
    • Age 19
    • Seen Oct 6, 2023
    "Overdesigned", fire/fighting, and not being cute or generically cool.

Years
  • I never hated Emboar it's actually my second favorite Unova starter. It can also be very strong with it's hidden ability if you know how to use it correctly.

I guess most people didn't give Emboar a chance since it was a third Fire/Fighting starter in a row so it became hated by many. I personally like Emboar's design and imo it looks better than that weird chicken dude aka Blaziken, so Emboar is my second favorite fire/fighting starter behind Infernape (and not too far behind I might add).

Back