• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Future Chrome Changes May Make Normal Ad Blocking an Enterprise-Only Feature

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
  • All in the name of the almighty advertising dollar and seeing as a huge chunk of web searches go through "Google", that means more Ad money. Don't be surprised if Microsoft's Bing goes down that route as well, which leaves Apple's Safari(its Apple so they might follow suit too) and Firefox(AFAIK they're not but its a notorious resource-hog compared to other browsers). Makes one wonder if a new browser will exploit this opportunity.

Years
  • i would immediately jump ship if this gets implemented. the problem is the majority of alternative browsers are based off of chromium. and i find firefox slower. but i'll bear with it, i guess.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I mostly just use firefox nowdays for common browsing and chrome only use to get to reedits, then again I dont like ads very much and some of them are just annoying to deal with (popup ads), this stinks

Cid

Years
  • I would love to use Firefox instead but I'm too attached to Chrome. And when I switched to my new laptop I haven't found a need to install any ad blocker of some kind. I think I should still switch to Firefox eventually, though. What Google is doing isn't nice.

Years
  • I'd seen reports of this for months and it hasn't happened yet, so who knows if it really ever will

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • Chrome is my main browser but if they even think about it, I will switch to Firefox as well. >:(

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've used Chrome for YEARS. Basically since the beginning. If they pull this kind of stunt, I will DEFINITELY be switching. I block almost all ads except on a few sites I support, and if Chrome makes adblocking something I can no longer access, I will certainly change my browser. What Google doesn't seem to understand is how some sites have enough ads to slow down even a high-end computer, and if they force users to suddenly take up the burden of browsing with ads again, that won't fly well.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Will Chromium, if this is ever implemented, be hit w/this too? Because if not, fuck Google Chrome, if this gets implemented.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • TY said:
    Already using Firefox but considering swapping off of that too since it hogs my resources :(
    Check your add-ons, Firefox itself shouldn't hog resources, at least the Linux version doesn't do it.

Palamon said:
    Will Chromium, if this is ever implemented, be hit w/this too?
    Yes because it uses the same browser engine as Chrome.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • If this actually happens, well, there's no way I'm putting up with ads, no matter how dedicated to Chrome I've been!

Not sure why they'd consider such a thing knowing everyone will jump ship.

Back