• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You find a shiny

icycatelf

Alex
Years
  • If I like it and don't already have it, I'm usually like "WHOO! SHINY [NAME]!" Otherwise, I'm like "Eh... I'll catch you anyway." It's pretty upsetting when you're hunting a particular Shiny and end up getting something else though, especially when you keep finding Shinies except the one you're hunting... (I'd been hunting Shiny Sneasel in HGSS for a while but recently switched to DPPt since I've already found a Shiny of everything else there except Larvitar.) Dx

Last edited:
    Years
  • I audibly gasp, even when I am actively looking for a shiny it still hits me with shock, especially if I have been bored for hours or days, encountering pokemon after pokemon that look the same, ready to give up. Then when you suddenly see something different it's almost startling, and takes the brain a moment to process at all.

I usually can't string together words. I'll just barely be able to breathe, and make a sound of disbelief. I am of course excited, but I don't get jubilant like some people do because I know my work isn't over. I'm kinda scared. Even though it's what I wanted, I'm nervous because I have to still catch the pokemon and there is the risk of failing. So I turn very serious and focus to make sure I don't hit the wrong button, and try to stick to my strategy of how I will capture this pokemon. I go slowly.

I think to myself things like which pokeball would be the most useful? I.e Should I use a quick ball since it's the beginning of the battle? A dusk ball because the hunt went on so long that it's now night? A net ball because it's a water Pokemon? I don't care about how a ball looks, I care about not failing.

I also make sure that I am aware of what moves a pokemon knows at it's current level. Is it able for instance to use an attack that will also damage itself like take down? If that's the case I should not use a move like false swipe and bring it's health down to 1. Can it use a move that will kill itself, and if so what move is it? If it's memento then I need to select taunt before I even think of throwing pokeball, unless it's a master ball. If it carries something like self-destruct I switch into a teammate with the damp ability, so it can't blow up in my face.

I also check to make sure that the battery isn't too low so my game doesn't die in the middle of a battle, and I lose the precious Pokemon. If it's in the red zone I scurry as fast as I can to the wall to plug in my device for a charge.

Shiny hunting can be a nerve-racking experience where not concentrating could mean losing the Pokemon you may have spent months hunting for, so my initial feeling of surprise quickly turns to tension. My body will stiffen, I will become silent as I work, time slows down and I may break out in a cold sweat as I carefully try to capture the Pokemon. I can't breathe a sigh of relief until I see that ball shake 3 times, then finally click shut. Then I am allowed to be happy. I smile, cheer, dance around, and reward the Pokemon that helped me. I make sure they are healed up the Pokemon center, and give them some treats and petting. I also go look in on the new shiny, check out it's nature, might think about the Pokemon's nickname some more and SAVE, SAVE, SAVE the game. Did I mention save?

Last edited:

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
    Years
  • I encountered a shiny Throh, and my heart rate must have went up by about 20-30 bpm. I kind let out a gasp-weez thing, cuz i had almost no pokeballs left. I did catch it, though.

Years
  • I feel like shinies have become too common to really get excited about with all of the hacking but it is a nice little surprise. I generally don't have any reaction but when I hatched a shiny Mareanie on 23 eggs and then a shiny Rookidee with perfect IVs 9 eggs later I spazzed about it to my girlfriend a little bit.

Years
  • I feel like shinies have become too common to really get excited about with all of the hacking but it is a nice little surprise.

I agree with this to an extent yeah. =( They're more common nowadays so I definitely get less excited than I would have 10 years ago, but still really nice. Especially would be for me atm since I've hatched goodness knows how many Chespin eggs and still haven't gotten a shiny lol.

Years
  • That's how it always goes too, I have a shiny charm, shiny Japanese Ditto and I hatched over 600 Magikarp eggs with no luck and then on the ones I don't care about and am just breeding for battling I ALWAYS get shinies under 50 eggs. Mareanie, Rookidee, Larvitar, Rotom, Absol, and Totodile all under 50 with no intention of getting a shiny.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • lol i've found two in my most recently playthroughs of heartgold and firered. both times i went HOLY SHIT????? and took a pic on my phone to tweet it lmao i'm one of those extra bitches that freaks out over it. back when i was more active in shiny hunting and rng abuse though, it was nothing. the two i found recently were totally random, i was just traveling the area or grinding and shing sparkle sparkle. i think those are the best, you're not expecting them or looking for them so it's genuinely surprising when they come out of no where.

Years
  • I've only ever found one shiny and it was a Pidgey on my Let's Go: Pikachu run and I was absolutely ecstatic. I somehow managed to lose him, though, and I've no idea where he is.

Years
  • Turns out I was being a bit too cynical! A few months ago I was trying to hatch a shiny Impidimp because shiny Grimmsnarl slaps. I hatched a few hundred with no luck, said fuck it, and gave up. About a half hour ago I decided to try again and three eggs in got a shiny, prankster, perfect IV Impidimp and gasped so loudly it scared my girlfriend and one of my dogs. 😅😂

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Over 1k eggs to get that shiny 6IV hidden ability Noibat. I might tear up. Too many hours spent..

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I'm usually excited to get a shiny, more so when it is a random shiny at full odds as it just takes you by surprise

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • Whenever I find one just out in the wild my immediate response is always laughter for some reason. I guess it's just my reaction to that kind of lucky blessing, since I don't see myself as a lucky person, but still happen to be.

Whenever it's something like breeding or soft resetting, it's usually a relieved sigh and a "Thank god, I'm done" because of how I usually take extended breaks when shiny hunting. I tried to hatch a shiny Roselia for my boyfriend for christmas, and it ended up taking until March. That sucked.

Though sometimes Lady Luck is a queen and throws a curveball, I hatched a shiny Dhelmise in 13 eggs in Sword, and my reaction was once again laughter. I may be slightly crazy.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I never find a Shiny during the main story, which kinda sucks for me because I would definitely put it on my team. When I do find one, though, I'm sometimes taken by surprise, especially when all I wanted to do was rush through a route (Still remember my Shiny Audino in White). I have Shiny Hunted in Ultra Moon, though, and it just feels great finding the Shiny I want (and it feels conflicting to get one I didn't want, like that Shiny Dedenne).

Years
  • I just hatched a shiny Charmander and I am kind of annoyed. So I like Pokemon breeding, it's how I spend most of my time in game and I like getting a perfect Mon and then keep hatching for a shiny. For instance, I have a legit shiny perfect IV Corviknight but since I have a shiny charm + the Masuda method a lot of the time I get the shiny before I really want it and then I have to put in a bunch of extra work. I want a 5 IV Timid Charmander with solar power so that I could hunt the shiny and I got the shiny before I even got Timid. I hatched a Lax 4 IV Charmander with blaze so I have to save 200 Armite ore, get a timid mint and bottle cap it at level 100 for it to be usable because I can't stand using unoptimized Pokemon.

I have also had this issue with Larvitar, Absol, Totodile, Mareanie, and Rotom.

Years
  • i do kinda wish i feel the same kind of overenjoyment most people seem to have in this thread. :c being a shiny hunter, i've come across and bred so many shinies that nowadays my reaction is a pleasant "oh this is super cool, finally!" and being relieved that my patience has paid off more than anything, haha. the rarer the shiny, the more excited i seem to get, especially with shiny legendaries!

Back