• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] [SWC] Return to Suffering

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
  • Return to Suffering​

"The past is a candle at great distance: too close to let you quit, too far to comfort you." – Amy Bloom

The elderly man set two cups of tea on the table and sat on his armchair across the young girl, who was watching the local news network on the TV. Her little squirtle played with a squeaky toy on the floor by her side, baby-blue soap-scrubbed skin glistening where sunlight fell. There was some report about a festival being held in Alola, and the girl's eyes were fixated with fascination on the live recordings of the festivities, especially the visitation of an island guardian. Some pokemon he would never encounter in his life. Not that he minded; his days were long over.

Commercials broke and the elderly man cleared his throat and drew a long thoughtful sip.

"So you say you want to be a master pokemon trainer one day?"

The girl politely nodded. She held the cup of tea above her lap nervously. Fresh-faced, and judging by the looks of her pokemon, he could probably count the number of days she had spent as a trainer with one hand.

"I heard around town that you knew a lot about pokemon. And you were quite famous."

"You could say that, I guess," the old man chuckled. "I used to be famous. But that was a long time ago and nothing that wouldn't bore you, missy." He waved a hand in the air.

Leaning back, arms crossed and elbows propped on the armrests, he asked her the same question he asked every bright-eyed child whose head was filled with big dreams.

"So, what exactly do you want to learn?"

"....I beg your pardon?"

The girl looked at him like a deer caught in the headlights, eyes unblinking for a moment. He had seen this expression countless times, as the question hit like some sort of truck and rendered these kids stunned and bewildered, probably expecting some words of wisdom to pour out from his apparently golden mouth. Instead they got a simple question, that seemed to result in an existential crisis of some sort.

"Why are you staring at me like stunned magikarps waiting for enlightenment to fall from the sky?"

He sighed inwardly. "Do you really know what you are in for?"

"Um... I guess so? I did my research before I received my squirtle from the professor, who downloaded an application on my iDex. But I'm sure there are many things I don't know yet..." she replied hesitantly.

Research. Of course. Watching all those PokéTube videos of tournament battles between elite trainers, how-to guides uploaded by washed-out trainers trying to be an online celebrity, idols and coordinators giving basic grooming tutorials like your daily Channel Five nine o'clock PokéMart advertisements, and what have you not. Browsing through articles and forum threads written by sketchy people who more often than not spend their free time using the free wifi of Pokémon Centers, coming up with excuses of procrastination to hide their fear of entering the Rock Tunnel alone. Kids these days... And what they define as 'research'.

"You really haven't a faintest clue how lucky you are, aren't you?" Was she lucky that he met her? Maybe, but he didn't see himself that way. It was probably misfortune that the both of them had to cross paths like this.

"You youngsters have it easy nowadays. All the knowledge in the world that you could possibly have is right at your fingertips. You know how to capture a pokemon, you know which city has the best deals, and you know how to travel across regions. I bet you don't even bother to read those wooden signposts – I'm talking about those made of rotting wood with faded text that states at the top "Trainer Tips" – anymore when your iDex tells you everything you need to know. There's really nothing you can't do or learn."

"Back in my day, we didn't have the Internet to teach us things. We didn't have slim plasma TVs or any of those fancy gizmos you guys get before your tenth birthday. All we had was the Teachy TV; slow, hideously boxy and really an inconvenience to travel with. (It's a bit hypocritical of me to say that but my point still stands.) We had to learn how to be a trainer through sheer experience. In a few years' time, posterity would probably start using their iDexes to capture pokemon instead of pokéballs."

"We didn't have clear paths; we had to travel through the beaten tracks of tall grass to get to where we wanted to be. Potions were such a luxury that most of the time I remembered running back to the nearest Pokemon Center, which was much smaller than what you see now, mind you, and much more crowded with people who hadn't had a shower for days after hiking through the wilderness. But now you kids have shiny bikes with shiny wheels! And expensive shoes that can last a thousand triathlons. Back in my day, buying ten bottles of Zinc supplements at one go was unheard of! And feeding your pokemon a dozen Rare Candies at once was sure to give it diabetes. Now trainers in Unova are apparently feeding their pokemon feathers to make them faster and stronger in battle. People are going around fighting only audinos. 'Super Training', they call it."

"Back then, we were already excited to see a pile of purple gunk in a dilapidated mansion on a volcanic island, much less the mythical monstrosity residing in Cerulean Cave. You all don't even bat an eyelid unless a pokemon has a sheen that glitters like gold. It has to have three heads and a Dark typing. It has to look like an ice cream cone or a candle. It has to be a mechanical lion, a crescent-shaped phantom bat, or a stag with multiple antlers. Your red-capped idol, the celebutante of the millennials, saw the legendary rainbow phoenix, but ain't nobody in this corner of Kanto seen anything larger than a pidgey spread its wings across Viridian. Back then, the mafia tried to abduct pikachus. Now, these rodents are all over the world, becoming some icon with a cult following. Arceus knows how."

The old man paused, taking a sip of that warm tea to keep his engines going. The young girl sat there, still stunned and stricken as ever. The truth tended to have such an effect.

"Eventually, you'll leave this sorry excuse of a region for Hoenn. Or Alola. Wherever you trainers think is cool and appropriate to carve a big name out of yourselves. And maybe one day, one of you, perhaps you, might discover another species of pokemon – probably comes from the moon and looks like a deformed rabbit – to add on to the encyclopedia of seven hundred and something monsters we already have. I lost count after the 152nd pokemon, I have to be honest with you."

"If you were expecting some grand moment of truth from me, I hate to break it to you but that's it from me. That's all I can give you – what simply is. I don't have any secrets, no techniques of how to stand in the middle of the road and summon Moltres, or any of that 'tying a slowpoke tail to the end of a rod to catch a rare water pokemon' nonsense. I can't tell you whether digletts have feet or dodrios have tripled dreams. There is no answer to life and the mysteries of the universe; none of that preachy "if life throws you nomel berries" sugarcoated babble that those books gush on about. You know a lot more than this old chap here. You have yet to live your life. As it is, you are in constant motion with the world, and you have yet to reach the point where you have to stop, and be left behind as the world keeps going and going."

He slowly drew himself to stand on both feet, both teacups now empty and dry. He stood at the doorway, seeing the young girl with her squirtle off, who courteously bid him farewell and thanked him for his time. Maybe he had sparked something in her, he would never know. Maybe something he had said would eventually set something else in motion. Maybe someday, when her hair was silver and the ribbons on her blastoise no longer gleamed, she would remember him. It was a cycle after all, looking back and moving forward. The past and the future in a Möbius strip.​

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Aaaahhh those newfangled millennial kids and their flat, boring escapades of supposed "adventure" where they are handholded for about eight towns all around the country with all sorts of magical gifts because they are oh so entitled to be given the world in a silver platter because hey, it was us who taught them "everyone can be a winner". I mean, the ones of us who did take to teaching (and government planning).

....And then the mood of this story does remind me, we older people did learn that precisely from people like them.

That I think is part of the little spark in this story. That the voice speaking is not actually talking about what can be taught, but of what has been learned. When you describe the Moebius strip; when the complains about the regions or the number of Pokémon come up. there is an underlying message that a time comes when you are just done with stuff, to the point you won't suffer a talk about it.

The good, the bad, they all translate into pain.

And then people feel the need to warn other people about those pains.

Aaaahhh those newfangled millennial psychologists and their flat, boring diagnoses of depression and stress where they handhold you with some pills so you can "function" and "be (statistically) normal", because they are oh so entitled to dictate what people in the world should live by and be happy with.

Back in my time, when we were fed up with things we were straight about it. Like this old man, who just. won't. shut. up. about it. That makes it lovable, because we can easily put ourselves in his shoes. We all have this or that subject that we say we have left behind, but we are secretly hoping that someone brings up for a good whopping of a conversation. Sure, we'd also punch people or hit them with a belt, that would straight them up. And this old man... he gives the girl something I feel akin to the "scare them straight" treatment, that old one grandpas talk about, one of the grand markers of nostalgia about our times, how everything was inherently more dangerous before.

And we see no response from the girl because frankly, we don't need any. There's nothing for her to learn from the old man, really.

Back in my time we didn't have nice, clean endings. We all know how that's gonna go with the girl, when she starts endlessly bickering to some newbie sometime down the road. It is inevitable. That compression of the ending might look to some as one of the failures of the story, but I do think it does allow it to end in "good terms".

That's the cycle.

That's what builds nostalgia.

This story I have to say is quite enjoyable as a social criticism on fandoms such as Pokémon and their approach on nostalgia, and on life as it goes in general. Not because the complaints are not fair (the newest games do take the handholding too far, and it's been ten years since I saw the protag actually fainting in a Pokémon game) but because when you examine them closely the complaints are not really different from any iteration to the next. And dunno if that was ever intended, but... man it does work so perfectly that I felt like blabbing a bit on that. Like we used to do back in my time, unlike how now these newfangled social sites at most prod you for a "+1" and a "cool story bro".

Overall a good story. Enjoyable in its own, acidic, morbid way.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • This read mostly like a meta rant. I feel like the old man in this story acts more as a mouthpiece for the nostalgic 1st Genners out there who feel that every game after RBGY is an uninspired load of tosh. I can't actually bring myself to agree with him since I started on Pokémon around the time of Gen 2 and my favourite generation has always been 3. Nevertheless, I feel like I can sort of understand his viewpoint because nostalgia is a powerful beast and I myself haven't played any game past Gen 4, so a lot of the new Pokémon (beyond the starters and legendaries) I can barely recognise – except for some standout Pokémon whose designs catch my fancy.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

One of the parts I liked about the fic was your treatment of the expectation that wisdom from experience is somehow transferable. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but the stance I get from the old man is that to really learn something about the world you should go out there and experience it yourself. Again, not something I particularly agree with, but at the same time, it really felt like an old man ranting about stuff – to the point where I felt he was being unreasonably harsh on modern developments, but that's nostalgia, eh? That said, strip away the content and keep in the rhetoric and I thoroughly enjoyed his rant, especially the end where he talks about those myths and urban legends and also his general attitude towards the girl expecting his wisdom. That was pretty neat.

Anyway, solid read. I feel, a bit light on the plot, read more like a rant, but there were some positives. I can't really say much because there's not much to talk about, heh.

Winter

Years
  • Wow, I never expected these responses of such depth! I personally wasn't satisfied with what I wrote, so I didn't really care for placing, and I guess the diatribical tone in my writing stemmed from my disdain towards the prompt (I never liked those one word trope-reliant stuff, like "Beginnings" or "Endings".) But oh, I do so love reading these interpretations, these take-aways, nodding as you elucidate a point or insight. It makes me somewhat happy, in a sense, that hey, I managed to get people thinking and at least I didn't miss -- since writing is always hit or miss, maybe just for my case. xD;

The good, the bad, they all translate into pain.

And then people feel the need to warn other people about those pains.
    Loved how you point out the idea of pain. Because if you look at the etymology of 'nostalgia', algos is "pain; suffering" and nostos is "to return". So nostalgia is the suffering caused by an unappeased yearning to return, as Milan Kundera puts it. And voila, the logic behind the title is apparent.

Enjoyable in its own, acidic, morbid way.
    You know, I have to thank you, for I have never been to aptly describe my style, but "acidic" and "morbid" are pleasant keywords to my ear.

This read mostly like a meta rant. I feel like the old man in this story acts more as a mouthpiece for the nostalgic 1st Genners out there who feel that every game after RBGY is an uninspired load of tosh.
    You are spot-on. I started out this entry basically intending it to be a satire on genwunners. The old man is sort of my way of mocking the complaints of genwunners.

In actuality, the old man had a backstory (in my mind), just that it probably did not come out very well, and then again, I chose to hint at it very subtlety. The old man's past is only mentioned like...twice. His fame when he was at the prime of his life and his allegedly hypocritical lamentations of the Teachy TV. One might not have pondered so far over such few and ambiguous remarks, but remember an old man in Viridian City in the actual games? He had a grandson who taught you stuff from the Teachy TV. I just went, what if that grandson took the place of his grandfather, when he was old and retired to Viridian? And I guess, he never really let go of the educational aspect.

I love rambles. Reading other people's rambles such a fun past-time. Thanks for taking the time and rambling. Hopefully we can ramble more together.~

Bay

Years
  • My initial comments from SWC under spoilers.

Spoiler:

I don't think I actually have too much to add from my initial comment there. I did get this is satire for the folks that only thing the original games are the true games, but forgot to put that. Venia Silente also got the "mingled millennials" vibes it seems, though, heh. I did re-read the ending paragraph, though. And thinking about it, at the same time it's kinda a scary thought eventually there will come a time where when she gets old too she'll be behind on the technology. Then again, that can't be help. I feel even though he was ranting a lot on the modern thecnology, he's encouraging her to still live the moment in his own way. Still a fun read!

Years
  • One thing I really liked about this story is how the old man professes to the trainer eventually surpassing his knowledge. The adults that I've encountered, at least, will act like their experiences make them Yoda or something like that, when in actuality their time for learning is almost over. Like the old man said, "As it is, you are in constant motion with the world, and you have yet to reach the point where you have to stop, and be left behind as the world keeps going and going." Life stretches on and new things are gonna keep coming, but it doesn't necessarily mean bad for the ones experiencing it, and in fact the new gen can come back and teach the old gen a few things they never knew they never knew. And then the circle continues with the old gen getting nostalgia butthurt while the new gen keeps going and learning and eventually ends up as the old teaching the new. PS I also love your writing style ^^

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I read this this morning over breakfast. I am sad to say that this story really isn't much for me. It's not bad I just don't like how self aware it is. The part that bothered me most was when you brought Pokemon species into it. To me it doesn't really make sense for anyone in the Pokemon world itself to complain about things like Ice Cream Pokemon and extravagant legendary Pokemon and shinies since to them that's just a normal part of their world. It makes sense for us because we are outside looking into an alien world created by someone's imagination. I just felt kinda turned off by this is all. I couldn't find anything structurally or grammatically wrong though so kudos for that.

Winter

Years
  • I read this this morning over breakfast. I am sad to say that this story really isn't much for me. It's not bad I just don't like how self aware it is. The part that bothered me most was when you brought Pokemon species into it. To me it doesn't really make sense for anyone in the Pokemon world itself to complain about things like Ice Cream Pokemon and extravagant legendary Pokemon and shinies since to them that's just a normal part of their world. It makes sense for us because we are outside looking into an alien world created by someone's imagination. I just felt kinda turned off by this is all. I couldn't find anything structurally or grammatically wrong though so kudos for that.
    It's intentionally self aware since after all the character is a mouthpiece for the gamers, not an insertion of how a NPC would think in that world, as Miz en Scène so aptly described as meta. But it's okay, I don't expect everyone to like or understand my work neither do I write anything to turn people on. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • It's intentionally self aware since after all the character is a mouthpiece for the gamers, not an insertion of how a NPC would think in that world, as Miz en Scène so aptly described as meta. But it's okay, I don't expect everyone to like or understand my work neither do I write anything to turn people on. Thanks for taking the time to read it.
    My personal feeling is just that I think even when you're being meta or self aware there needs to be a logic to it, and that particular part I found to be very illogical. The rest of it is fine and I still didn't really like it but that's just me. It's well written it just didn't resonate with me personally.

Winter

Years
  • My personal feeling is just that I think even when you're being meta or self aware there needs to be a logic to it, and that particular part I found to be very illogical. The rest of it is fine and I still didn't really like it but that's just me. It's well written it just didn't resonate with me personally.
    I fail to see what you're seeing, but I guess I can't really change/control that. Thanks anyway!

Back