• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

idgi

Years
  • Are there any popular games that you just don't see the appeal in enough to want to try them? Which ones and what is off-putting about them to you?

Years
  • Most multiplayer games - CS:GO, LoL, DotA, Overwatch, Fortnite, PUBG, ...

I prefer if I can play my games the way I want and when I want. Those multiplayer games get repetitive really fast and usually have a system and events that makes you play as often as possible otherwise you feel like you are left out. And I don't really need that in my life.

Another series that got over my head was TLoU. I heard about it when first game was announced, but since it was exclusive, I didn't really pay attention to it. I know it was good when it was released and I heard about about controversy about the second game. But even that didn't move me enough to check it out other than few screenshots I've seen from both games.

Years
  • Undertale/Deltarune I know are extremely popular indie games but, I've never really saw the appeal of it. The combat and artstyle doesn't feel like something I'd enjoy so I've always avoided them.

Other games I actually caved into the hype and bought were Cuphead and Celeste which were also very popular indie games at the time. I played them for a bit but eventually stopped because I was bored, think it really was a good indicator that platform games (or games with platform levels) are just not my thing because I'm just bad at them. Cuphead had everything I like aesthetically but the gameplay was something I wasn't fond of, same thing with Celeste.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • league.... it just looks like a pay to win mess with a toxic community of 13 year olds why are people into that

pkmin3033

Any and all PvP-focused titles, really. Every time one of these games gains significant enough traction that it appears on my radar, I...don't really get it. Fall Guys is the latest one, but there have been so many: Overwatch, League of Legends, Battleborn, Rocket League, Paladins, Apex Legends, Hearthstone, Counterstrike...I don't see the appeal. PvP brings out the worst in people. It brings out the worst in me, too. I take no joy in losing repeatedly, or even in winning repeatedly. I feel like skill levels are static in games like this: you're either significantly better than people, or they're significantly better than you, so the outcome is basically going to be the same every time. Losing repeatedly is disheartening, and the culture surrounding these games is positively toxic at times. Because the games are literally NEVER balanced appropriately you get hordes of people playing the exact same character in the exact same way, and there's no real room for experimentation or playing for fun if you want to win. I...don't understand how people can throw themselves into this, again and again. If you have a group of close-knit friends who won't verbally crucify you for not adhering to the way you're "supposed" to play these games I guess it could be fun, but playing these games casually with strangers? I don't get it.

MMOs by extension of this, but in this I don't understand how people can play these games for hundreds of hours and not get bored. Games as a service is a model I can't get behind: content is repetitive and time-sensitive (and god does that stress me out as I rush to get everything I need before the time expires; I get enough of this with Monster Hunter World, thanks) and it makes games horrendously unbalanced as new content needs to be ridiculously good to be worth your time in the endgame...I mean, Safi'jiva in World is proof enough of how horrendously unbalanced postgame content can get. I can draw on World a lot here because it's dangerously close to MMO territory, and there are things about it I really do not like. I also platted FFXIV back in 2016 and in the end I was just doing the dailies, and...yeah, I don't understand how a game that boils right down to just doing the dailies - which is what MMOs seem to become in the end - can be fun. I've had it in the back of my mind to try The Old Republic and Phantasy Star Online 2 for a while, but knowing their nature I can't bring myself to do it.

Speaking of doing the dailies...gacha-focused mobile games. Now these I REALLY don't get - they're repetitive, insane timesinks, and they have no end, and no hope of ever really completing...or even of getting what you want unless you shell out horrific amounts of money for them. I've tried a lot of these, but I've never been able to stick with them...not even Sinoalice, and that's made by Yoko Taro, with Keiichi Okabe composed soundtrack. With NieR crossovers. It was practically made for me. But I can't bring myself to play it.

Minecraft is another one I just can't bring myself to try and don't really see the appeal in, which is bizarre. I grew up with Lego. I LOVED Dragon Quest Builders. I just cannot bring myself to jump in and try Minecraft on PC. I had it on Switch for months and I sold it without ever really trying it. I don't know if it's the visual style, the lack of engaging music, the lack of structure that drives me away from sandbox games, or what...I just can't play it, and I don't understand how so many people find it appealing. Or maybe I do in an abstract fashion because of my childhood - and god knows, building whatever you want in MC is much cheaper than buying LEGO - but I can't really reconcile that to my current state of mind.

Unfortunately for me I'm a masochist - even if I don't see the appeal in something, I will probably wind up buying it and trying it just to challenge that perspective. I've discovered a lot of really enjoyable games that way, so it's not a perspective I really hold onto religiously outside of certain genres (sports, fighting, simulation, puzzle, and racing) that I know from painful experience I never enjoy so it's not worth even attempting because I'll just feel bad I wasted my money.

Years
  • oh gosh, so many. league of legends (was briefly interested in trying it since one of the characters has the same name as me but i played like 5 min and lost interest immediately), all shooters, all multiplayer games which janp mentioned. just not into them and don't understand the appeal at all :(

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Souls- and Souls-like games. Some people find enjoyment out of overcoming challenges in those games. I never got any feeling of accomplishment when I play them and instead just get frustrated the whole thing is going to be like this.

Online multiplayer. Not much of a competitive guy; it's somewhat the same as with the Souls games plus the "multiplayer" part.

Metroid. I like Metroidvanias but I always tended more toward the Castlevania aspects of these types of games. It's kinda weird because I also like Scifi related stuff which you'd imagine makes the Metroid series the perfect fit. But it never was.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • i'm surprised a lot of people here have the same opinion as me :O
    i really dont understand the appeal of those PvP games (LoL, Overwatch, CS:GO, R6S, Fortnite, etc.)
    i'd rather play a co-op game with a friend, like Terraria or Raft, or an rpg game like Tangledeep or the Neptunia series :<

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Minecraft.

I'm still willing to learn, it looks charming, but I just turn it on for 5 minutes and instantly feel demotivated.

My younger cousin loved minecraft and I would play it with him just to make him happy...and wow that game also makes me feel sleepy. Usually our sessions would be him killing me over and over because I didn't have a clue of what I was doing.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Hey what's that? Another I don't like PvP, MOBA games, etc.

I'm not really surprised by that, honestly, and I don't like them either. Same thing with shooters and other multiplayers like the ones Janp mentioned above.

I also never saw the appeal in most Zelda games. Like, BoTW and TP do look good and LtTP was actually enjoyable for the first part of the game, but I played OoT and found it pretty boring and same thing with Majora's Mask, which is somewhat disappointing considering they are the most popular Zelda games

Back