• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum having issues with imgur?

Years
  • Hey,

i since a couple of days it seems that the forum doesn't display imgur images (.gifs) anymore (i have one in my signature and use them in my gamedev thread. I can view those images from all other places i'm using them.

Anyone an idea why?

Years
  • That's a shame, I only have imgur for image hosting, the other sites I tried in the past became premium only.

I hope this is not a permanent thing.

It does seem like imgur has gone downhill nowadays, they say things are a lot more moderated to suit the advertisers. It's certainly not as good as it was a few years ago.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    For the broken images, I think ibb would be a good alternative. For the forum in general, or anyone really.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Hotlinking from imgur is supposed to be allowed on forums (according to their ToS) so I think we could work something out with them

Years
  • Apparently Imgur has recently blacklisted us from using image hotlinks unfortunately. There is no real solution to this as it is completely out of our control. I'd recommend using another site for uploading images.
    This not exactly correct. PC is effectively using Imgur as a CDN and that's why the site has been blacklisted. If it had only been a few images I doubt the blacklist would've been enforced but as it stands multiple themes use Imgur for quite a lot of images.

I don't think this will be fixed in any other way than finding another site to take its place as a CDN.

Last edited:

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Might be worth having one of the admins contact them about getting us whitelisted if it's not being done already.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • This not exactly correct. PC is effectively using Imgur as a CDN and that's why the site has been blacklisted. If it had only been a few images I doubt the blacklist would've been enforced but as it stands multiple themes use Imgur for quite a lot of images.

That's really... very poor design decisions when there's more controllable choices. Even 2000's web programming teaches, if you are serving "editorial line" along with your central functionality (company logos, themes, interface icons for example) then you deliver those yourself or via the CDN to which your hosting is already suscribed, not via a general use site.

Would a good first measure be to first fix the PC themes to serve from PC or Cloudflare and stuff and then get to talk to imgur? Showing a first gesture of work as an opening move kind of thing.

Years
  • That's really... very poor design decisions when there's more controllable choices. Even 2000's web programming teaches, if you are serving "editorial line" along with your central functionality (company logos, themes, interface icons for example) then you deliver those yourself or via the CDN to which your hosting is already suscribed, not via a general use site.

Would a good first measure be to first fix the PC themes to serve from PC or Cloudflare and stuff and then get to talk to imgur? Showing a first gesture of work as an opening move kind of thing.
    There's a few oversights which allowed this to happen; I was intent on serving stuff like icons to PC, so I guess I've been forced to do it now, haha.

Any other broken images you find (that aren't posts by other users) need be pointed out so we can deal with it. There shouldn't be too many cases.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2020
    So it looks like it blocks purely based on the Referrer field of the html header. Which browsers automatically put when embedding images onto a page.

Code:
    curl "https://i.imgur.com/fpXE2BJ.gif" -H "Referer: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9896065" -i
    HTTP/2 403
    retry-after: 0
    content-type:
    accept-ranges: bytes
    date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 02:53:09 GMT
    x-served-by: cache-lax8624-LAX
    x-cache: MISS
    x-cache-hits: 0
    x-timer: S1530413589.190726,VS0,VE0
    access-control-allow-methods: GET, OPTIONS
    access-control-allow-origin: *
    server: cat factory 1.0
    content-length: 0

but if you remove the referral then it works just fine of course

Code:
    curl "https://i.imgur.com/fpXE2BJ.gif" -i
    HTTP/2 200
    last-modified: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 18:46:48 GMT
    etag: "7872661ad1b19794f9191f46c2d1d8e6"
    x-amz-storage-class: STANDARD_IA
    content-type: image/gif
    cache-control: public, max-age=31536000
    accept-ranges: bytes
    date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 02:55:15 GMT
    x-served-by: cache-iad2137-IAD, cache-lax8625-LAX
    x-cache: MISS, HIT
    x-cache-hits: 0, 1
    x-timer: S1530413716.778418,VS0,VE1
    access-control-allow-methods: GET, OPTIONS
    access-control-allow-origin: *
    server: cat factory 1.0
    content-length: 245448

Chrome automatically injects these referrals into the header for cross-domain requests:
    chrome_2018-06-30_19-59-06.png

At the moment the best client-sided fix for Chrome is to run chrome with the "--no-referrers" command line option.

As in running chrome via:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --no-referrers

Then these images all seem to work.
    This is a very general fix and will fix other cross-domain blocking that imgur is doing such as on GameFAQs and such.
    chrome_2018-06-30_20-13-22.png

Last edited:

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • So it looks like it blocks purely based on the Referrer field of the html header. Which browsers automatically put when embedding images onto a page.

--- snip---

I tried disabling HTTP referrer in Firefox using the about:config setting Network.http.sendRefererHeader, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm not very familiar with this, so just wondering if you have any suggestions for the Firefox browser? (It's the only browser I have access to in my corporate environment).

Years
  • No i can't see a Signature there.

On Topic: Any news? Is there still hope the admins might fix this issue with imgur?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    On Topic: Any news? Is there still hope the admins might fix this issue with imgur?
    Last I heard, the admins have reached out to imgur and are awaiting a response from them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I kinda hope something happens. There are no good sites that I can go back to past that.

Just now a one and done thing. Bad if you ever want to go back to something.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    It seems like for me my picture will work in some spots but not others. IE: Works in Other Chat but not in Pokemon Trivia.

Last edited:
    Back