• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First game in a given series

Years
  • Same as title. Do you remember the first game in franchise that you played perhaps in your childhood? Share your memories here. Now, I guess the very first FF game I played was FF8 on the PlayStation. Fun stuff. And of course Metal Gear Solid 1, Crash Bandicoot 1... Those were the days.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I played Final Fight 3 before 1 and 2 even though we owned all three by the time I could hold a controller in my hand. I played Mario World before Mario Bros. 1, 2, Lost Levels, and 3. I played Melee before Smash 64 cause I went from SNES to Gamecube as a kid.

Oh and I started with Pok?mon Sapphire despite being a fan of the series since the anime and trading cards.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
    Years
  • Hmm...

My first Spyro game was Spyro the Dragon (aka, Spyro 1) for the PS1. I also got Crash Bandicoot around the same time, though I sucked at it, haha. I was maybe 6 at the time though

The first video game I played was likely Mario Bros. for the NES at a neighbour's place. I wasn't than 5 at that point, and I don't think I ever past the 7th level of the game, even as I got older.

The Pokemon Trading Card Game for the GB Colour was my first in the Pokemon franchise. I started with the Squirtle deck.

Vragon

Mario Party 7 when my cousins got me and my brothers a GameCube pack. That game was so fun and so addicting, along with starting my gaming interest.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I remember playing some of the original Mario Bros for the NES, but I never actually owned it. A lot of my childhood memories are of Super Mario World.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest for the SNES was first experience with the series. It was supposedly an RPG for beginners, but as a 5-6 year old I only got so far. It's not a very good game, but the OST is amazing.

Missed out on the early Zelda games so I didn't get my start until Ocarina of Time for the N64. Pokemon I've been playing since it's been available in the West (so '98)

Fire Emblem got me hooked with it's first western release on the GBA. My friend never would shut up about how great it was so I eventually gave in and tried it out, and the rest is history.

First Megaman game I'm not really certain about. It was either X2 or MM7 which came out rather close to each other. Sonic 3 for the Sega Genesis is the only Genesis game I remember owning, but man, I loved that game as a kid.

Years
  • Pokemon Crystal was my first Pokemon game, that I remember clearly. Then there was Smash 64, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Sonic Mega Collection (which was Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Sonic and Knuckles), and my first Final Fantasy game was XIII.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Firsts:

First ever megaman game was good ole Mega man 2 for the nes but i wasnt too fond of it mainly since at that time i found classic megaman to be a bit clubky for me. Then megaman x came into my life and changed things for the better.

Doom. Obviously the very first doom game back in 1993, and i was able to experience the game on its original form years ago when a cousin of ours had his kickass library of MSDOS games that blew me away.

Duke Nukem. A lot of people will pretty much mention Duke Nukem 3D as probably their very first sightings of the Duke, but i was actually quite lucky to have played the Duke Nukem MSDOS games where it was a series of side scrolling action games.

Ace Combat. Played the first one up to the most recent.

Call of Duty. Cod4 was the first game that i played since that was the game that got the franchise lit as f 10 years ago, and Cod4 was the game that we were able to have. And its a good thing that i was able to play the even older games to see how the franchise has been since.

Pokeymangs. Gen wun.

Years
  • Pokemon: Pokemon FireRed
    The Legend of Zelda: TLOZ: Phantom Hourglass
    Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
    Super Mario: Super Mario Kart

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • My first Zelda game was Majora's Mask on the Nintendo 64. I remember seeing flashbacks to Ocarina of Time(which I had obviously not yet played), and thought they were just part of the Majora's Mask story. I later realized that other Zelda games had quite a different formula, but I fell in love with it as well. ^_^

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hmm, okay, just going to go through some of my favorite series and such. Or even if I've only played one or a couple of games from a series, but plan on more.

Pokemon: So my first game was Yellow, however I kind of include Sapphire here as well because while Yellow was the first game I played, I didn't get very far. I lost the cartridge early into the game's story. Sapphire, however, was the first main Pokemon game I got to play in full. So it's a little of both here.

Mother: I totally missed out on the Earthbound references in Mother 3 because Mother 3 was the first one I played! I'm aware this series is tiny and I may play the original Mother someday, but it doesn't seem to have aged well at all and I'm not sure if I would have the patience for it. But anyway, Mother 3 is actually my favorite game of all time. I think it's aged very well and is fantastic all the way around and honestly, I'm glad it was the first in the series I played. I really enjoyed Earthbound, but I don't know if that would have hooked me enough to consider moving forward to play M3.

Kingdom Hearts: So listen. I didn't have a PS2 until Christmas 2009. I wanted to play KH so badly when it was released, but you know. I couldn't. So let's skip back to when 358/2 Days dropped for the DS. Okay! Cool! A KH game for a system I own! And I mean, I enjoyed it. Hella confused, but I enjoyed it. I would actually love for them to fix some of the mechanics and have made HD for the PS3/4 Remix titles, but meh. Cutscenes don't do the game justice.

Tales: I think, for once on this list aside from Pokemon Yellow, I entered with a great title here aha. First Tales game I played was Tales of the Abyss for PS2. My friends were watching the anime and I'm not huge into watching shows and such so when I found out it was a game, I was all for it. But it was 2011 at the time so lmao. I remember thinking to myself "god i'm not gonna just FIND this game" and I went to GameStop to browse, still intending to check the PS2 section just on the off chance, and it was literally the first game I saw on the shelf. Holy shit lol. It may rank a little lower now that I've played a lot more Tales games, but it's still super solid and a great way to get into the series, I'd say. There's a reason it's so highly regarded.

Persona: Okay so real talk, Persona 4 was technically my first, but I got what? A few hours in? And forgot about it. So Persona 5 comes along. I literally did not give a care about it during development and my artist friend was all into it. So I said I'd check it out and she sold me the extra copy she ended up with and boy did I fall in love. So this is kind of like with Pokemon, 4 was my technical first, but 5 was the first Persona I really played through and experienced. I do have plans to go back to 4 at some point and maybe 3. Don't think I'll bother with 2 and 1, but it depends on how they've aged, I suppose.

Kirby: Kirby 64 blew my mind as a kid for some reason? It was my first. I rented it and was SO AMAZED with Kirby's abilities lmfao. I remember telling my friend "omg dude when we get to my house you have to play this game i rented it's about a pink ball that can fly and EAT PEOPLE." Like damn that's probably the worst way to make a game sound interesting.

The Legend of Zelda: My introduction to the Zelda series came in the form of Super Smash Bros. Melee trophies. The story and lore behind the characters and items had me interested, but this was back when I was still a kid and didn't just readily have money available so getting either of the N64 titles was a far cry. However, Wind Waker did recently go up as Player's Choice at the time I was my most interested and it was like $20 so I bought it and that's my first Zelda. It's not my favorite, but it's not bad either. I remember a lot of it so vividly and I had the guide book too and I'd bring it to school and read it instead of library books, lmfao.

Super Mario: So I'm cheating big time. First Mario game was the edition of All-Stars + Super Mario World for SNES. Isn't it amazing when your first Mario game is literally all the Mario games that were out at the time?!

There are some other series I still want to talk about (Final Fantasy, Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon), but I'll likely just come back and edit this later. I've already spent enough time rambling on and no one is gonna read this but myself, aha.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • I remember my first time playing Pokemon Red... I was at my Aunts house at the time and she lent me a gameboy, unbeknownst to me it had Pokemon Red on the slot.

As I started up the game I realized that the game was completely in Japanese... Can you imagine? You playing Pokemon Red and Blue without being able to read anything? :D

I got a Charmander and headed out into the world... practically blind. Against all odds tho I got to cerulean city... bumping my way through the dark corridors of Mt. Moon. I could never get to Serge's GYM tho since I needed cut to get there... and well... I didn't really know where it was... oh and I couldn't read a thing XD

That experience, I think only amplified my love for the series...

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
    Years
  • Kingdom Hearts 1. I hired it out a few times at a video/dvd/game rental store near my place, and eventually bought it when they put it up for sale since I think I was almost the only person who ever hired it.

Now, fast forward some 10 years since I first played KH1, I've now played every single game to date and I'm well and truely addicted to the story. I may also be inlove with Aqua, but we don't need to talk about that

Then of course, there's Pokemon. I got a copy of both Yellow and Crystal for my birthday one year whilst still a child, and I've never looked back since, owning at least one game, if not all the games, from each generation

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
    Years
  • My first ever games that I played was Pong and Pitfall! back in the early 90s. It was the only system my parents had. When I was 5 or 6, they got me a Genesis where I played Sonic 2 (still my favorite game) and Mortal Kombat III Ultimate (which my parents let me play with the blood on). My first Pokemon game was Blue. Makes me feel a bit older...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Let's seee

My first Final Fantasy game was X-2, without playing X first (my brother just had the sequel lying around and he hated it, so my cousin and I played through it instead)

Ace Attorney: Justice For All (I'm just really good at playing games out of order apparently)

Pok?mon: Red!

LoZ: A Link to the Past

GTA: Vice City

Sims 2

Animal Crossing: the GameCube one - if there was more than one I'm not sure which

Those are some of the big ones off the top of my head? There are some "firsts" of series but they're also the only ones I've played of the franchise so I won't count them.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    First game I played was Spyro The Dragon. I watched my dad play Pok?mon Blue, and we often played Myst together, solving clues and drawing/taking notes. After that it was Pok?mon Silver, and then Crystal. I borrowed my dad's Blue to use the Missingno. glitch, and he eventually traded me his Mewtwo and Legendary birds <3
    I also played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance a lot, Crash Bandicoot Warped, and the other Spyros

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Pokemon Blue
    Sonic
    Fallout 2
    Metal Gear Solid
    CoD 2: Big Red One
    Battlefield 2
    Crash Bandicoot 2
    Silent Hill
    Resident Evil 2
    Metroid 2
    Final Fantasy 8

there's loads more I should list

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Pokemon - I got Pokemon Gold/Silver at the same time but I decided that I liked Lugia more and picked up Silver first. So Pokemon Silver is my first and the one that I hold most dear to my heart. Still love Johto the best, tbh.

Tales of - Tales of Symphonia! A friend of mine online mentioned it me and I had mentioned it to my best friend. She actually had the game so we started to play it and boy did we did hooked and did I get into the Tales of Series because of it. Funny thing was that a friend of my friend's brother got into Tales of Symphonia because we were playing it and I didn't learn of that until I officially met him in college lmao. The Tales of Series is still the series that I hold on most next to Pokemon.

Kingdom Hearts - Okay funny story. I started playing Kingdom Hearts but I got stuck and never finished it (I still have not beaten the first game many years later). The first one that I actually beat was Kingdom Hearts 2 and, would you believe it, it's still my favorite from the KH games. BBS is a close second (Days being first bc story and XII Trio) but overall KHII is still my favorite. May not have been the best storywise but idk. I just find myself being most entertained and enjoying myself when replaying that one out of all the KH games.

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. Some days I wish I didn't restart my file because I was faaaar. I wanted to marry Kai which was actually really good because I only hadto focus on him in the Summer. Rest of the year I just grew crops and got a shitton of money. Didn't marry him in the first year but managed to do so in the second year which imo was pretty impressive for someone who is only in town for one season. Maybe I should try playing it if I can find the game.

Ace Attorney: Watched my friend played the first game but the first game that I played was Trials and Tribulations because let's play the last game of the trio before the first two why not.

I think those are the most major that I played multiple games from? I've admittedly never played that many Mario or Zelda games so I don't feel right including those in my list.

Back