• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The Caves

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Have you guys ever been kinda annoyed at the caves in RBY? For instance, caves like the Rock Tunnel are pitch black, so you would very much need to be using the Flash HM, or you won't be able to see where you're going.

400px-Pokemon_RBY_RockTunnel_F1.png

Another thing is that the caves make you quite prone on finding wild Pokémon; I believe the caves have high encounter rates? But someone can correct me on that. But anyway, what sort of memories do you have, travelling through each cave in these games? Which cave was most memorable for you, and what experience did you have with them?

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
And now I have the cave song in my head.. Good song tho!

I don't like the caves and I never liked them,. But I prefer them over the sea and surf situations! Caves are alright, but I don't like when they are long or when you are lost (yeah, I lost myself a lot in the victory road back in gen1). The Pokemon in the caves are annoying, but I love many of them. It is a good spot to catch some Pokemon I want to use :)

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Rock Tunnel was challenging for me because my starter was Pikachu and this cave is full of mountain hikers who use rock type Pokemon. Mt. Moon also had some mountain hikers and I would just try to avoid them.

withheld

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
Use repels and the chance of getting confused and lost is minimized.

Years
I remember Rock Tunnel layout, but it's still pain to get through it. Same with Victory Road. But I think caves got better in recent gens.

But talking only about RBY, I don't like the way caves were made.

Guest123_x1

One of my least favorite things about caves is how many Zubats and Golbats you encounter trying to get through one. Plus all the Trainer battles that wear your Pokémon out, often requiring you to Escape Rope or Dig out of the tunnel to go back to the previous Pokémon Center, and then reenter the cave and traverse it from the start all over again. Rock Tunnel is particularly bad in this regard, especially since it's so difficult to go through it without Flash.

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I do think that the caves have gotten easier over time, but the RBY ones were definitely a bit of a pain due to the graphics and microscopic visibility area if you didn't waste a slot on Flash (not to mention having the money to get the Pokedex requirements was difficult if you didn't have a meowth for PayDay, given you couldn't rebattle anyone except for the Elite Four in Gen 1).

On the upside, in Yellow (or if you were patient enough in Red and Blue to hunt down a pikachu in Viridian Forest), all of the zubat were easy EXP spawn.

Back