• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

United States Government Shuts Down Over Petty Squabbling

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I am sure they are jobs most of us would not apply for, then again how long will that lasts? You have people pushing for low wage jobs to have a 'livable wage' if say McDonalds were to continue to expand in illegal labor, because Americans want a 15 dollar minimum wage it would begin to push alot of people out of a job.

If they choose to offer $15 an hour, then yes, competition would increase for those jobs. That's how jobs with higher wages work. Those jobs aren't reserved for anyone, and if you're less qualified than an "illegal" immigrant then that's not anyone's fault but yours.

Also as we saw with slavery, the abolition of a system will create incentive to create new technology and benefits so that the product can still be provided.

We call that progress.

Some companies would engage in child labor or slavery if allowed, that does not mean we as a nation should allow it.

Uh, both of those were rooted in oppressing people and committing horrendous human rights violations. Companies hiring immgrants isn't oppressing immigrants and isn't creating human rights violations. Try a better analogy.

That is nice but it does not make it any easier for public hospitals where wait times spiral wildly out of control sometimes up to 9 hours, which risks people's lives. Or having classrooms overfilled with students, thus harming the children's ability to learn.

So what is your alternative? To let immigrants die from medical conditions because they aren't a citizen? Ship them to a hospital in their home country? I'm sure those solutions wouldn't cause any problems.

The goal should be to reduce the problem not worry about it because some native born citizens do it as well.

"I'm worried about getting hit by a driver with insurance. Therefore, we should deport immigrant drivers without insurance."

That does not mean those things do not negatively impact society.

There are literally billions of things that negatively impacts society. You know what else negatively impacts society? Destroying the lives of immigrants by returning them to violence and poverty.

I am getting the vibe from you that you are for open borders, which I hope you can understand the type of hell that would create in any country.

Fix your vibe reader then. I am not for completely open borders. I just believe that our current laws on immigration put "illegal" immigrants in danger by forcing them to wait years in dangerous countries to come here legally when they would easily be able to apply for citizenship within the country they're going to immigrate into.

I'm getting the vibe from you that you would rather have people die because they can't wait forever to get citizenship when they're in the middle of dangerous situations, just because you worry about losing jobs that were never guaranteed to you and having healthcare shared with everyone. Doesn't mean my vibe is right.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
DACA. When this thread was first posted, the government shutdown it was about happened to have some relation to DACA and so was part of the conversation then.

Can the person I had asked about this answer me as to how allowing a two year deferment to deportation of two years for undocumented children and giving them work permits is considered "illegal"?

Years
So, here's a suggestion, how about instead of wasting money on a border wall that won't actually do jack shit, the government improves and streamlines the immigration process so there's less need for people to enter the country illegally to escape danger.

If the problem is with the illegality, not with people who happen to be born outside the US, then fix your broken immigration system so entering illegally stops being a necessity to get out of danger.

Years
If they choose to offer $15 an hour, then yes, competition would increase for those jobs. That's how jobs with higher wages work. Those jobs aren't reserved for anyone, and if you're less qualified than an "illegal" immigrant then that's not anyone's fault but yours.

Problem is an illegal immigrant will work for lower wages, poorer working conditions, and if they complain they can be replaced or threatened with deportation. Thus companies especially low wage companies are more willing to hire illegals.

We call that progress.

And the only way to get to that progress would be to remove the illegal labor, just as we freed the slaves.

Uh, both of those were rooted in oppressing people and committing horrendous human rights violations. Companies hiring immgrants isn't oppressing immigrants and isn't creating human rights violations. Try a better analogy.

Paying a person barely five dollars an hour and telling them if they complain they will be deported is in and of itself oppression as well.

So what is your alternative? To let immigrants die from medical conditions because they aren't a citizen? Ship them to a hospital in their home country? I'm sure those solutions wouldn't cause any problems.

Solution is to stop illegal immigration and remove birth right citizenship, along with a policy of attrition by deportation.

"I'm worried about getting hit by a driver with insurance. Therefore, we should deport immigrant drivers without insurance."

I am worried about getting hit by a driver with out insurances, therefore we should deport the illegal immigrant population that does not have insurance or in many cases drivers license.

There are literally billions of things that negatively impacts society. You know what else negatively impacts society? Destroying the lives of immigrants by returning them to violence and poverty.

Actually that would positively impact their society, you are having millions of young men and women who can contribute to their society with labor and skills leaving for America. Instead of those people building up there country with skills and work, they are leaving it to rot, continuing the cycle.

Fix your vibe reader then. I am not for completely open borders. I just believe that our current laws on immigration put "illegal" immigrants in danger by forcing them to wait years in dangerous countries to come here legally when they would easily be able to apply for citizenship within the country they're going to immigrate into.

I'm getting the vibe from you that you would rather have people die because they can't wait forever to get citizenship when they're in the middle of dangerous situations, just because you worry about losing jobs that were never guaranteed to you and having healthcare shared with everyone. Doesn't mean my vibe is right.

Okay you are saying you do not have a problem with a person entering this country illegally be it for economic or security reasons, and staying. You say that deporting them is dangerous and hurts them, thus you want them to stay in the country. How again is that not open borders?

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Problem is an illegal immigrant will work for lower wages, poorer working conditions, and if they complain they can be replaced or threatened with deportation. Thus companies especially low wage companies are more willing to hire illegals.

And you're blaming the immigrants for that? Seems like the companies are to blame for not choosing to pay immigrants equally and abusing them.

And the only way to get to that progress would be to remove the illegal labor, just as we freed the slaves.

Freeing the slaves was good for anyone who was a slave. Deporting immigrants isn't good for anyone who's an immigrant.

Paying a person barely five dollars an hour and telling them if they complain they will be deported is in and of itself oppression as well.

And deporting them only makes that oppression worse.

Solution is to stop illegal immigration and remove birth right citizenship, along with a policy of attrition by deportation.

Yeah, I'm sure that'll heal them right up. Please, run that by some hospitals. I'd love to see how that goes. "Here's an idea: the next time a person comes into the emergency room pouring blood out of their stomach, check their documents and call ICE to have them deported if they aren't a citizen."

In case the sarcasm wasn't clear, doctor's take an oath not to deny anyone healthcare. I can see why you wouldn't care if you don't think everyone should have access to healthcare, but doctors don't follow that creed, thankfully.

I am worried about getting hit by a driver with out insurances, therefore we should deport the illegal immigrant population that does not have insurance or in many cases drivers license.

So, again, you would willingly ruin someone's life by sending them back to a country where they could face violence or poverty and possibly die from that, simply on the CHANCE that they MIGHT hit you and MIGHT not have insurance.

Actually that would positively impact their society, you are having millions of young men and women who can contribute to their society with labor and skills leaving for America. Instead of those people building up there country with skills and work, they are leaving it to rot, continuing the cycle.

And you blame them for that, instead of the country's government that isn't addressing the many serious issues going on there? You must not understand the extent of corruption and gang/terrorist violence in countries with high emigration rates.

Okay you are saying you do not have a problem with a person entering this country illegally be it for economic or security reasons, and staying. You say that deporting them is dangerous and hurts them, thus you want them to stay in the country. How again is that not open borders?

Because they still become citizens. They would still need to become citizens and go through the immigrant application process. However, they would be able to live their lives and also be safe while doing so, instead of fighting to survive in a dangerous country while they wait possibly years for immigrant status approval. Like, this is literally what DACA does for its applicants. Meanwhile, immigrants not in those situations can take the time to do so in their home country. What you're suggesting is that we force all immigrants to suffer and possibly die in a dangerous country just so they can "legally" immigrate, and all it does is put more innocent people in danger.

Last edited:
Years
And you're blaming the immigrants for that? Seems like the companies are to blame for not choosing to pay immigrants equally.

Their status as illegal allows them to be exploited in such a manner, seeing how they came here illegally, I blame them for that.

Freeing the slaves was good for anyone who was a slave. Deporting immigrants isn't good for anyone who's an immigrant.

As long as you do not count the citizenship of that country, for reasons I already explained.

And deporting them only makes that oppression worse.

How so? The job and companies do not follow them back home.

Yeah, I'm sure that'll heal them right up. Please, run that by some hospitals. I'd love to see how that goes. "Here's an idea: the next time a person comes into the emergency room pouring blood out of their stomach, check their documents and call ICE to have them deported if they aren't a citizen."

In case the sarcasm wasn't clear, doctor's take an oath not to deny anyone healthcare. I can see why you wouldn't care if you don't think everyone should have access to healthcare, but doctors don't follow that creed, thankfully.

I am more than willing for them to get care, but I want them to be deported before they get sick, hurt, or pregnant, thus causing the resource drain.

So, again, you would willingly ruin someone's life by sending them back to a country where they could face violence or poverty and possibly die from that, simply on the CHANCE that they MIGHT hit you and MIGHT not have insurance.

I want them to come in legally in which they can buy insurance and get a drivers license, by law they are not supposed to even be there or driving.

And you blame them for that, instead of the country's government that isn't addressing the many serious issues going on there? You must not understand the extent of corruption and gang/terrorist violence in countries with high emigration rates.

I am fully aware of the corruption and danger, however answer me this how is a country supposed to get better when their best and brightest continue to flee the country?

Because they still become citizens. They would still need to become citizens and go through the immigrant application process. However, they would be able to live their lives and also be safe while doing so, instead of fighting to survive in a dangerous country while they wait possibly years for immigrant status approval. Like, this is literally what DACA does for its applicants. Meanwhile, immigrants not in those situations can take the time to do so in their home country. What you're suggesting is that we force all immigrants to suffer and possibly die in a dangerous country just so they can "legally" immigrate, and all it does is put more innocent people in danger.

Yes I want a fair system that allows each person all over the world to have an equal chance to get in. I do not want to pick favorites based on location or skin color. I also want a limited number each year allowed in as to not overwhelm the country.

Again it sounds like you want open borders in that anyone that comes here can stay, with there being no limit, or ability to deport. That would cripple the country and turn it into just another third world muk hole.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Can the person I had asked about this answer me as to how allowing a two year deferment to deportation of two years for undocumented children and giving them work permits is considered "illegal"?

Continue reading the posts on page one. Multiple links were provided as to why DACA should be considered illegal.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
Continue reading the posts on page one. Multiple links were provided as to why DACA should be considered illegal.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the illegality of DACA. It's not like we're letting them leech off of government programs since there is enough time to apply for a work permit. Giving people who had no choice but to illegally enter the US with their parents due to their status as a minor at the time an allotted amount of time to apply for a job seems reasonable.

Here is a link to read more on DACA in case anybody wants to learn more about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Action_for_Childhood_Arrivals

Years
I don't understand the reasoning behind the illegality of DACA. It's not like we're letting them leech off of government programs since there is enough time to apply for a work permit. Giving people who had no choice but to illegally enter the US with their parents due to their status as a minor at the time an allotted amount of time to apply for a job seems reasonable.

Here is a link to read more on DACA in case anybody wants to learn more about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Action_for_Childhood_Arrivals

As Obama repeatedly said the President cannot pick and choose which laws he or she wishes to follow. The President is allowed a bit of leeway, but DACA basically gives a form of protection from immigration law to a wide swath of people through executive order and not congress. That is possibily if not probably illegal and unconstitutional however in the end it will be up to the Supreme Court to decide.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022

That's the nice version of events. Here's the stuff they don't talk about.

https://www.heritage.org/immigratio...-what-the-democrats-say-it-here-are-the-facts
Very little vetting, criminal behavior ignored, waivers given for violations, etc.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years

The cost of living isn't magically cheaper for immigrants. Unemployment is a an all-time low and there are more vacancies than people looking for a job (!) so it's not like companies can afford to mistreat workers that way, or else they can just pack up and leave. And anyway, most immigrants end up doing jobs that most natives won't do- agricultural labour, cleaning, taking care of old people, etc. The actual effect of immigrants in the average wage (let alone that of a white-collar manual worker in the Rust Belt) is minimal, if it even exists. And if it does, it's smaller compared to the Republican Party's refusal to increase the minimum wage or to defend Obama's rule forcing companies to pay overtime to workers who made between $25k and $45k. It's just that immigrants are easier to scapegoat.

Also, immigrants pay a ton of net taxes as the companies withold payroll tax but they don't get any benefits in turn. So they are a money-making machine for the Government and anyone with a pension should be happy about it.

Furthermore, the number of mexican immigrants apprehended in the border has collapsed by over 90% since the 2000, from 1.6 million a year to 130k. Building a wall now is not going to do much.

...not to mention that, if Trump's idea of how the metal slabs will work is in scale (notice the car), the separation between the slats is wide enough to allow for bags of drugs and/or thin people (say, children, starving people) to go through. Genius!

And finally, polls show that a majority of Americans don't want a wall. And that includes the last poll, the one held in November, which was won by democrats by 9 percentage points, or 10 million votes, accross enough states to equal over 300 electoral votes come 2020. So they have no reason whatsoever to fund the wall unless Trump stars giving democrats a laundry list of policy concessions.

Last edited:

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Their status as illegal allows them to be exploited in such a manner, seeing how they came here illegally, I blame them for that.

This reply is hands-down the most absurd thing I've ever read. If we're still using this analogy to slavery, you basically just blamed the slaves for the abuse their masters dish upon them because they are slaves. I'm ending the conversation following this reply because it's pretty clear you lack empathy for a marginalized group of people.

As long as you do not count the citizenship of that country, for reasons I already explained.

I honestly don't even know or care what you tried to say. This slavery analogy really isn't working for you.

How so? The job and companies do not follow them back home.

Yes, which is part of the problem lmfao. The opportunities in America far exceed anything in their countries, so of course they're going to seek opportunities for growth elsewhere. Many places are also irreparably damaged by extreme poverty, gang or terrorist violence, and government corruption, so much so that it's beyond anything their contributions to the society can fix.

I am more than willing for them to get care, but I want them to be deported before they get sick, hurt, or pregnant, thus causing the resource drain.

If you're fine with them getting care, then you can't also say that we should deport them so they don't get care. Fact of the matter is, immigrants are here and they will receive healthcare because healthcare is a necessity for everyone. Deport all you want - all you're doing is putting injured/sick/vulnerable people at risk when they come here.

I want them to come in legally in which they can buy insurance and get a drivers license, by law they are not supposed to even be there or driving.

And the people who are here "legally" or natural-born citizens that don't have insurance or drivers license? Do they have to get deported? You have to realize that this risk is literally everywhere. You're trying to fix a small part of a problem by ruining tons of lives. I guarantee you more natural-born citizens are driving without insurance or driver's licenses.

I am fully aware of the corruption and danger, however answer me this how is a country supposed to get better when their best and brightest continue to flee the country?

As I said above, these countries are irreparably damaged to the point where the contributions of its citizens have little to no impact.

Yes I want a fair system that allows each person all over the world to have an equal chance to get in. I do not want to pick favorites based on location or skin color. I also want a limited number each year allowed in as to not overwhelm the country.

Again it sounds like you want open borders in that anyone that comes here can stay, with there being no limit, or ability to deport. That would cripple the country and turn it into just another third world muk hole.

First of all, limits on asylum can't exist without defeating the purpose of asylum. Second of all, how is it giving everyone a fair chance if we set a limit and have to tell people, "You've been waiting for years and you application has been approved but we've already met our quota so fuck off?" How does a limit help people who are fleeing violence and don't have time to wait if their application is rejected?

Again, you aren't listening to what I'm actually saying. Here's what I'm actually saying, not what you think I am:

- Immigrant applicants who aren't in danger or extreme poverty can't come in "illegally." They have to apply before they come to the country.
- Immigrants who are, can, but they need to apply for citizenship within the country while they are safe and building their life. If they don't, they will get deported.

And these policies extend to literally every immigrant from any country. So, yes, it's definitely more lax than what we current have, but it keeps at-risk immigrants from suffering or dying while they try to escape dangerous conditions/situations. I'm sure you'll disagree with it because you've demonstrated pretty well that you care more about enforcing completely changeable laws than you do about the safety of actual human beings and have zero intent on actually interpreting what I'm saying. Hence why I'm ending this conversation, since we'll be going in circles for ages and I don't have the time/energy to continue.

Years
The cost of living isn't magically cheaper for immigrants. Unemployment is a an all-time low and there are more vacancies than people looking for a job (!) so it's not like companies can afford to mistreat workers that way, or else they can just pack up and leave. And anyway, most immigrants end up doing jobs that most natives won't do- agricultural labour, cleaning, taking care of old people, etc. The actual effect of immigrants in the average wage (let alone that of a white-collar manual worker in the Rust Belt) is minimal, if it even exists. And if it does, it's smaller compared to the Republican Party's refusal to increase the minimum wage or to defend Obama's rule forcing companies to pay overtime to workers who made between $25k and $45k. It's just that immigrants are easier to scapegoat.

The problem being any large increase of the minimum wage will drive companies to either automate, or to change more jobs over to illegals, so that they do not have to pay more.

Also, immigrants pay a ton of net taxes as the companies withold payroll tax but they don't get any benefits in turn. So they are a money-making machine for the Government and anyone with a pension should be happy about it.

Not really, if we are to guess that there are 11 million illegals, the amount in taxes they pays is around, $11.64 billion according to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy. However in health care alone, Illegals cost around 18.5 billion, as such you are already working with a deficit before even factoring in other things such as schooling.

Furthermore, the number of mexican immigrants apprehended in the border has collapsed by over 90% since the 2000, from 1.6 million a year to 130k. Building a wall now is not going to do much.

Keyword is Mexican, the problem are people from Central and South America crossing Mexico now. Which is why Mexico is cracking down on it's southern border.

...not to mention that, if Trump's idea of how the metal slabs will work is in scale (notice the car), the separation between the slats is wide enough to allow for bags of drugs and/or thin people (say, children, starving people) to go through. Genius!

The metal slabs are a bad idea, its better to go with the rather unscaliable walls that were prototyped.

And finally, polls show that a majority of Americans don't want a wall. And that includes the last poll, the one held in November, which was won by democrats by 9 percentage points, or 10 million votes, accross enough states to equal over 300 electoral votes come 2020. So they have no reason whatsoever to fund the wall unless Trump stars giving democrats a laundry list of policy concessions.

That is meaningless, polls tend to not favor presidential pet projects especially when they are being debated. Look at George W Bush's privatization of Social Security in 2005, Obamacare in 2009, or Hillarycare in 1993 as examples of this.

Trev said:
This reply is hands-down the most absurd thing I've ever read. If we're still using this analogy to slavery, you basically just blamed the slaves for the abuse their masters dish upon them because they are slaves. I'm ending the conversation following this reply because it's pretty clear you lack empathy for a marginalized group of people.

Slaves did not have a choice to come here, illegals ( outside those kidnapped and sold into sex slavery ) have a choice when deciding to come here or not.

Yes, which is part of the problem lmfao. The opportunities in America far exceed anything in their countries, so of course they're going to seek opportunities for growth elsewhere. Many places are also irreparably damaged by extreme poverty, gang or terrorist violence, and government corruption, so much so that it's beyond anything their contributions to the society can fix.

That is rather ignorant of history, no matter how corrupt or terrorized a society is, it typically only takes one or two generations for it to right itself. This can be seen after the fall of the Soviet Union, or in places like South Korea with Chun Doo-hwan in the 80s. However no country can survive if it's youth continue to flee it.

If you're fine with them getting care, then you can't also say that we should deport them so they don't get care. Fact of the matter is, immigrants are here and they will receive healthcare because healthcare is a necessity for everyone. Deport all you want - all you're doing is putting injured/sick/vulnerable people at risk when they come here.

I am more than willing to make sure they are healthy, however once they are, then they should be deported, we cannot be the world's hospital.

And the people who are here "legally" or natural-born citizens that don't have insurance or drivers license? Do they have to get deported? You have to realize that this risk is literally everywhere. You're trying to fix a small part of a problem by ruining tons of lives. I guarantee you more natural-born citizens are driving without insurance or driver's licenses.

I have no problem putting the people who are here legally and drive with out insurance or a license in jail. Just because some people who are citizens do something dangerous and illegal, that does not mean I wish to have 11 million extra people who are not citizens stand around and do the same dangerous and illegal activity, that is absurd.

First of all, limits on asylum can't exist without defeating the purpose of asylum. Second of all, how is it giving everyone a fair chance if we set a limit and have to tell people, "You've been waiting for years and you application has been approved but we've already met our quota so psyduck off?" How does a limit help people who are fleeing violence and don't have time to wait if their application is rejected?

Again, you aren't listening to what I'm actually saying. Here's what I'm actually saying, not what you think I am:

- Immigrant applicants who aren't in danger or extreme poverty can't come in "illegally." They have to apply before they come to the country.
- Immigrants who are, can, but they need to apply for citizenship within the country while they are safe and building their life. If they don't, they will get deported.

And these policies extend to literally every immigrant from any country. So, yes, it's definitely more lax than what we current have, but it keeps at-risk immigrants from suffering or dying while they try to escape dangerous conditions/situations. I'm sure you'll disagree with it because you've demonstrated pretty well that you care more about enforcing completely changeable laws than you do about the safety of actual human beings and have zero intent on actually interpreting what I'm saying. Hence why I'm ending this conversation, since we'll be going in circles for ages and I don't have the time/energy to continue.

Lets game plan this idea out shall we?

Anyone across the world that claims they are in danger or need a job can come here with extreme poverty alone that accounts for 766 million people ( people making an average of $1.9 a day according to the World Bank ), add in danger, and we can round it up to say a billion? Lets say out of that billion, maybe 10 to 50 million apply to enter the US in the first year.

Can any country on this planet handle that kind of influx of people? The answer is no.

If your ideas were to come to pass we would see a migration crisis that would dwarf what happened in Germany, and Germany had to close its doors and stem the tide after only a year.

You would be importing millions of low wage, low skill people into America, who do not speak the language and cannot support themselves. They would be reliant on a social safety net not even close to handling such a massive influx of poor people. You would see massive camps spring up across the country, filled with crime, prostitution, and lawlessness, again as we saw in Germany.

Hospitals, police and social services, all of those would crumble under the weight of all of these economic migrants.

How do you think the populous would react? Realistically it would be rebellion and anarchy against the Government that let all of these people in. You would see groups like the KKK spring up to target the immigrants, you would see states break away to save themselves, and in the end what was the America would cease to exist. What would be left is at best a group of ethnocentric states that are constantly warring at each other and blaming each other for the downfall of America.

You don't like the wait period, saying it amounts to basically: "You've been waiting for years and you application has been approved but we've already met our quota so psyduck off?". However quota's are the only way any country can allow for a steady stream of immigration that does not overwhelm it's populous and services.

Take away the quotas and it's a recipe for destruction.

Last edited:

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
>Says Mexico is paying for his stupid wall
>Shuts down the government because his own government won't pay for it
>Has a history of saying government shutdowns make the president incompetent, unfit, and weak
>People still lick his boots and praise his name

As a former US resident, I have to say, nobody is laughing with you guys right now. Mostly "at." This is easily the most embarrassing time in American history.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
This government shut down is really pitiful, honestly. Also, Trump claims he'll get his wall built without congressional approval or some stupid shit like that. Which obviously won't happen. Just open the damn government back up already.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
My condolences to any and all people here whose family's jobs rely on government functioning (public institutions, welfare, etc). Hopefully there's still secondhand microeconomies that can assist you, small jobs during the meantime, or heck, publish a boot about "shutdown experiences", they should make a trend for the short term.

(Ironically enough, yes)

My concern is more in natural processes that can't simply be made to wait a shutdown out. Stuff like emergency services, care of national resources, fighting forest fires, that kind of stuff. How are those areas even dealing these days?

Alas, I also have to say that people get the government that they deserve, in particular when they are allowed to vote. Hopefully the US weathers through it and learn well their lesson for next time.

Years
How many times has he shut down the government since he's been president? Shouldn't there be some rule against this? He's literally putting millions out of work and in a place of insecurity and its his fault for shutting down the government in the first place.
Not to mention the risk to literally every american citizen, and people in other countries who import american, without important government work being done.

Work on a more streamlined immigration process instead of a fucking wall and there wouldn't be an issue. People would be able to and would gladly come legally if weren't a long costly difficult process?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
How many times has he shut down the government since he's been president?
This one is the 3rd time in his presidency, as far as I know. Although the previous two were much shorter than this one. Then again, all shutdowns are shorter than this one now lol.

But yeah, it's kind of fucked up that he's willing to basically indefinitely deny people paychecks that they need in order to survive over a poor idea. Even worse is that, while he's a little less gung-ho about it right now than he's been in days earlier this week, he's willing to declare a national emergency over something that's not a national emergency in order to bypass Congress to get the funding for his wall. And then on top of that is the potential damage that can be caused over a long government shutdown.

Alas, I also have to say that people get the government that they deserve, in particular when they are allowed to vote. Hopefully the US weathers through it and learn well their lesson for next time.
Normally this would probably be a valid statement, but I don't think that it is here. A lot of people did not and do not want Trump as our president. He didn't even win the popular vote. We voted, but the will of the people was effectively ignored, and so I don't think it's right to say that we "deserve" this.

Years
Yeah I don't see how people wanting asylum is a national emergency.
And like these are people, these are people with lives he's causing undo harm to especially since their being sent to terrible camps in Mexico.

He claims to care about the middle class american citizens but they're the most endangered here, he's needlessly going to force people into poverty and then bitch about how people are claiming social assistance now.

Back