• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is unova the worst generation?

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2017
    Yup, the starters suck, the 3 elemental monkeys suck, sorry if unova was your favourite

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    What would make the region/games better to you? :)

Are there any parts you do like?

Years
  • Is Unova a bad generation? No, it's actually great.

People just always shoot down upon it for the Pokemon designs, but I don't see anything wrong with them. Fletch over there nails a lot of the positives for this generation, such as music and well-written characters with personality. The story is also one of the darkest in any main Pokemon game, alongside S/M.

I remember when people always hated Unova, but now they're seeing the positives and I'm sure that you'll discover them too.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Just going to say that a generation being the best/worst is a largely subjective thing.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Someone saying Unova is the worst generatiion because of a few bad Pokemon? Every region has a few bad Pokemon. Whilst the monkeys were overpushed especially in the first games but the Simisage is surprisingly good in-game and I can see where the designers were coming from.

How good the starters were is subjective. All three Unova starters have cute designs and imposing final evolutions. I'd personally put them above Johto's uninspiring starter trio and Sinnoh's who cute initial forms aside I am not a fan of.

The Unova games have for me the best stories in the game and many great Pokemon as well as an excellent post-game in the second games. Gym Leaders actually have a story role and Ghetsis is a suitably evil villain. Admittedly none of the rivals are great but I say for me Unova is the best region.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I agree that the elemental monkeys were really useless, but overall I think Generation V had a great set of games. They felt very refreshing.

R/S/E and Sun/Moon are my least favorite Pokemon games.

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
    Years
  • Is Unova a bad generation?
    Of course no ( Or I say, Impossible)
    Why?
    Remember, don't judge the book by the cover.Don't Judge Gen 5 from Pokemon Design. Gen 5 have most great, mature,and realistic story than any Generation ( I know Gen 7 have great Story, but not so great as Gen 5).The Character and Gym leader have great development.If anybody says "Gen 5 have bland character expect N" Maybe they don't see one of the great features in Gen 5-Memory Link.It also have PWT where you can battle all gym leader and Champion from Gen 1-5 (Expect Iris)

The Feature is great too.Make Gen 5 more realistic.The music is so fit in their place.

Before I played Gen 5 game I liked you too.Hate Gen 5 Because of design.But after I played Pokemon White my opinion change 180 Degree.
    So I recommend you if you wanna play Pokemon B/W or B2/W2 (I Recommend play B/W first) focus on Story, not Design

Years
  • I think all generations have their flaws as well as their strong points. There is no bad generation, just different. But hey, to each their own.

I don't have a "favorite" generation....i'll just leave it at that. :)

immacksg

follow @immacksg on twitter for some rad cartoon a
    Years
  • Do I think Unova's the best region? No. Do I think it's the worst? Absolutely not.
    I find the worst region by far to be Kanto, but that may just be me.
    Anyways, Unova had wonderfully designed Pokemon, and I personally love a lot of the object based Pokemon. I mean, c'mon, I'd totally pick a ghostly chandelier over a pokeball with DBZ eyes!
    There are a ton of flaws with the region, but I wouldn't call it the worst region. It's not exactly my favorite, but I'd probably rank it around the fourth best.

Years
  • I've never heard anyone say Unova is bad :/ Some Pokemon were hit-and-misses sure, but every region has those. I think Unova as a whole introduced a good amount of worthy team components and the Gyms weren't too bad, plus there was some good story around Ghetsis and N. Plus, seasonal changes, omg.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I've never heard anyone say Unova is bad :/
    Over the years there's periodically been threads in this section where the OP (and others) says that 5th gen was a bad generation/the worst, and in the occasional "did you like Unova?" threads will typically garner a few posts from people saying they didn't like it.

Pretty sure it happens to all the generations really.

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
    Years
  • I find the worst region by far to be Kanto, but that may just be me.

To be honest, my opinion says that too.
    But so ironic, Fire red is my first Pokemon game I ever played.

But hey,that just my opinion

I hope genwunner not see this comment.

pkmin3033

Unova Defense Force, to the rescue once again ._.

I imagine for a lot of people, Gen V is still the worst generation - although how anyone could think that after playing Gen VII is beyond my comprehension - but it all comes down to personal perspective, really. There is no objective way of measuring what is the "best" or "worst" instalments in Pokemon (or any franchise, really) unless you want to take unrelated factors like sales figures, review scores, and majority opinion into account...and none of those things really impact on your enjoyment of it anyway, do they?

If you think it's the worst...well, good for you, I guess. If you think it's not...yeah, good for you, too. Personally...well, before I played Sun/Moon, I would have agreed with you about Black/White at the very least, although I would have held B2W2 as better than Gen VI. Now...part of me wants to go back to Gen V, because in the wake of Gen VII I will probably be a lot more forgiving of what nearly put me off the franchise when I first played them.

Reactions: Nah

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
    Years
  • I've never heard anyone say Unova is bad :/.

If you find some polls with the title "What your favorite Generation".
    Unova always gets least favorite.
    And you can find "Unova is the worst Generation" words In some Youtube Comment

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
    Years
  • I find the worst region by far to be Kanto, but that may just be me.
    Well, I admit I'm not too fond of Kanto either, but simply because it doesn't
    have the landmarks I used to enjoy in Hoenn, Johto and Sinnoh and there
    aren't many secondary activities...
    Wait... are we specifically writing about the regions or the generations?Or is it both?
    I fear I might be going a bit off-topic...~_~
    (Anyway, little off-topic question, did anyone here go to a specific location when hatching an egg?
    For example, the two towers, Sky Pillar, Spear Pillar, Cave of Origin, Celestic town's ruins, Sinjoh ruins,
    the flower paradise or other particular locations?)

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Generally I think the OP is referring to the generation as a whole rather the region specifically. With that said you could always make a discussion in Pokemon Gaming Central in regards to the egg thing but ideally you should try to keep things here as Unova related as possible... because no other game is as great as these ones are!

And yeah unfortunately Unova is one of the least popular regions mainly due to having no older Pokemon in the first set of games and the fact that the Pokemon look 'different' to what's expected. But to me none of that matters honestly - nobody can deny these games had the best story! Some people might say Alola has and will have a better story but I'm still a huge fan of what these games brought to the table.

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
    Years
  • I don't think of any generation as being the 'worst'.

I don't think so too.But my opinion says the opposite.
    Anyway, you ( and other people who say the same thing) right.But, some people only see "the bad side ".So that why "worst generation " word born

Back