• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best and worst games in the series

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 17, 2021
I've always said every pokemon game in the main series is a ton of fun and they are all excellent. With that being said there are favorites and least favorites. I'm not talking about that though. I'm talking about what games are considered the best and what are considered the worst. I've never gotten into reading reviews of games and I don't know what games are considered good or bad among the pokemon community so I ask the question, what are considered the best and what are considered the worst.

Just from my circle of friends Black and White are the worst but personally I think they're one of the best.

Years
From online discussion I usually see Emerald, Platinum and HGSS touted as the best games of the series.

I'd heavily disagree with Platinum being a contender for the best though. As many improvements as it did make on the very flawed Diamond and Pearl the phrase "you can't polish a turd" comes to mind. (Not to say I loathe those games but they're most certainly in the lower end of how I'd rank the series).

Emerald and HGSS definitely feel like rightful contenders for the crown of 'best game' to me though. So much good quality content in amazing regions with interesting stories to tell.

Sun and Moon have got to be considered the worst surely? It's mentioned a lot but it truly can't be said enough; those cut scenes and the hand holding are absolute deal breakers for consistent enjoyment.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
Emerald and HGSS definitely feel like rightful contenders for the crown of 'best game' to me though. So much good quality content in amazing regions with interesting stories to tell.
I would say this is my sentiment as well. Though, ORAS was solid, the lack of the Battle Frontier prevents this from taking Emerald's spot.

In addition to myself, I thought FireRed & LeafGreen were well executed as remakes. Though the remakes may not have as much post-game content (AKA Battle Frontier), I enjoyed the overall experience it provided.

The point I am trying to make is that (for the most part) I find the remakes to be the best games out there.

Sun and Moon have got to be considered the worst surely? It's mentioned a lot but it truly can't be said enough; those cut scenes and the hand holding are absolute deal breakers for consistent enjoyment.
Relatively speaking, I would say this is a (relative) fact.

However, 5th gen could be a contender for this slot as well, since it seems this generation is when the trend of streamlining/constraints the games have been displaying as of late. Also, frankly, this generation seems so forgettable to me, and have the worst overall starters in the sense of mediocrity.

Years
I would say this is my sentiment as well. Though, ORAS was solid, the lack of the Battle Frontier prevents this from taking Emerald's spot.

In addition to myself, I thought FireRed & LeafGreen were well executed as remakes. Though the remakes may not have as much post-game content (AKA Battle Frontier), I enjoyed the overall experience it provided.

The point I am trying to make is that (for the most part) I find the remakes to be the best games out there.

Relatively speaking, I would say this is a (relative) fact.

However, 5th gen could be a contender for this slot as well, since it seems this generation is when the trend of streamlining/constraints the games have been displaying as of late. Also, frankly, this generation seems so forgettable to me, and have the worst overall starters in the sense of mediocrity.

I personally prefer ORAS to Emerald myself actually and would probably rate those as my favourites of the series. Keeping in line with the OP asking what is considered the best I'd say Emerald is usually seen as the most favourable Hoenn game. For me though ORAS takes it for a few reasons; Steven is my favourite champion by some margin, I really enjoyed the Delta episode and Zinnia has become a favourite of mine, some minor things like how we do get to see May/Brendan's starter get to its final form), and of course it's just a breathtakingly beautiful game.

Fire Red and Leaf Green deserve all the praise too, yes. Those were brilliant re-tellings and the Sevii Islands remain some of my favourite post game content to date. Maybe they don't get as much attention because HGSS usually take the spotlight as the remake.

I have a soft spot for generation 5 as a whole. It's the last time they actually took risks and I do enjoy a fair few parts of the story. The gym leaders are fairly fleshed out compared to other regions and I do like N as a character and am glad a character like him exists.

Years
believe it or not, opinions that SM are the worst are just that: opinions. much like it is my own opinion that gen 5 is really overrated.

imo, XY are the games i like the least anyway

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
believe it or not, opinions that SM are the worst are just that: opinions. much like it is my own opinion that gen 5 is really overrated.

imo, XY are the games i like the least anyway

Reverse this opinion for mine.

Y was the best. SM were dumpster fires.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I had the most fun with Omega Ruby, but only played it once because I misplaced my copy after finishing it.

I didn't enjoy Black. Then again, I was emulating it on my phone, which probably takes away from the experience. I made it through 7 gyms before stopping.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
HGSS, GSC best.

Sun and Moon are the worst. Then XY. I've actually given thought to what some people said and USUM is not the worst, SM is because it is the unpolished one GF sold first and got away with it.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
Best and worst parts of each gen?

I was just thinking, and each game, pokemon or not, has the best parts and others have worst parts. Sometimes can just be utterly terriable. What do you guys think is the worst and best parts of the pokemon game series?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Gen 1
Best: Start of the franchise
Worst: Lots of glitches

Gen 2
Best: Colorful graphics, 2 regions, introduction of Dark and Steel types, skippable catching tutorial
Worst: Can't think of anything

Gen 3
Best: Introduction of abilities
Worst: Introduction of natures and EV's, sometimes many HM's needed

Gen 4
Best: Wireless trading, introduction of the physical/special split
Worst: Goldenrod City's music, sometimes many HM's needed

Gen 5
Best: More focus on story, animated Pokemon sprites, Pok?star Studios, PWT
Worst: Musical

Gen 6
Best: Trainer customization, Pokemon-Amie