• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What unpopular opinions about the franchise do you have?

LatchoDives23

Official Nicktoons Fan of the Boards
Years
Here are mine:

- Ruby and Sapphire are easily the worst games (ORAS and Emerald are good though).
- I hate Tepig.
- My favorite Kalos starter line is Chespin.
- I don't like any of the Gen 8 starters.
- Emolga is easily one of the best Pokemon.
- The best generations are 4 and 5.
- I like Pansage and Pansear (I hate Panpour though)

Sorvete

Novice
Years
- I think the Pokéathlon is a fun minigame in HG/SS;
- Tepig is my favorite of the three Unova starters, followed by Snivy;
- Crasher Wake is the best Gym Leader;
- Ice type is among my favorite types;
- Route 11 - Summer is the best Route theme in Unova in my opinion, and it's very underrated.

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
I legitimately wasn't bothered by the cutscenes or "handholding" in Sun & Moon (or the Ultra version). It's such a common complaint, yet I didn't even really notice it - maybe I'm just oblivious??

I prefer having a larger number of Legendaries in a generation.

Speaking of Legendaries, the Lake Trio (Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf) are some of my favorites.

Chikorita is my favorite Johto starter.

I...Actually sort of like the friend group from XY. I say sort of because, objectively speaking, I realize they weren't the most well-written characters, and I wish they had been used better; but I just can't help but be attached to them! (Maybe it's because I never had many friends in real life...That got dark.)

I don't like Blaziken. :/ Something about its design just leaves a bad taste in my mouth - I can't put my finger on it. Mega Blaziken looks a bit better, I guess?

I don't like Mega Metagross either, even though regular Metagross is one of my favorite Pokemon. Partially because of the design, and partially because its Pokedex entry doesn't make sense to me. (It fuses with extra Metang and Beldum to Mega-Evolve? Where do they come from? Where do they go when the Mega Evolution ends? How do they even unfuse in the first place, the Beldum that form Metang and then Metagross can't do that. My head hurts.)

And finally, this isn't an unpopular opinion now, but it was back when BW were first announced...Oshawott is NOT ugly! It is a little ball of otter-y adorableness! :pouting: :tongue-poke:

- Emolga is easily one of the best Pokemon.
Oh man, agreed!

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
There is no such thing as a bad main series game, nor generation.

There, I said it. I prefer the newer gens over the GB ones, but I still appreciate gens 1-3 for shaping the franchise into what it is today. As for main series games, all of them have ups and downs. Even the ones I like less are still enjoyable. I even find other people complaining about their least favourite main series games to be really uncomfortable. And yes, I used to be picky with my games too, but I've matured from then and I regret having being like that in the first place. Honestly, I've even seen cases where some people on certain sites or media platforms complaining their 'least favourite' Pokemon games are "the worst thing to happen in humanity" or "worst thing ever anyone who likes them should die", seriously try playing an actually bad or hated game, people like those are why I feel this is easily the worst side of the Pokemon fanbase by far.

Every Pokemon game and generation are all good and bad to equal standards. It's okay to think one is better than others out of nostalgia, a feature of the said game stands out, or if you just enjoyed playing it a lot. However, I think it's pointless to complain endlessly about something that not only isn't objectively bad, but tons of people put in hard work into, possibly even dedicating their lives to.

So yeah, just my 2 cents.

LatchoDives23

Official Nicktoons Fan of the Boards
Years
And finally, this isn't an unpopular opinion now, but it was back when BW were first announced...Oshawott is NOT ugly! It is a little ball of otter-y adorableness! :pouting: :tongue-poke:

Agreed. Oshawott is my favorite starter of all time.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
- Chikorita is my favorite starter Pokemon of all time.

- Generation five is the best generation you will not change my mind on this. Even though I admit when it first came out I didn't like it, its aged wonderfully.

- I've been playing since gen 1 and even I'm sick to death of Kanto, please don't give us anymore Kanto for at least ten years thank you Game Freak.

- I loathe Lucario, my least favorite Pokemon, hate it, hate how it looks, hate how its shoe-horned into every game, movie and promotional art for seemingly no reason.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Object Pokémon aren't a bad concept. That doesn't mean Pokémon like Grimer don't look dumb, though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Ash doesn't need to be replaced.
Ash doesn't need to age.
Ash isn't a bad character nor does he need to change.
Best Wishes is a good series.
Ash in Sun and Moon and Best Wishes is a good Ash.

I could go on about the Ash opinions I have that are sadly in the minority. :U But non-anime related opinions...

I still like XY. Not the best games but idk I enjoy replaying them.
Bidoof is a good Pokemon.
Quilladin is cute. So is Pignite.

Uhh... I'm sure there are plenty more but hilariously enough I cannot think of more right now rip.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Ultra Sun/Moon were great remakes, with the new side-quests and story lines. I felt they provided more to the original games than Crystal/Emerald, which were also both good in their own right.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
Years
- There are too many Pokémon generations (that's got to be the most unpopular opinion). I want more games, but focused on storylines and improved gameplay mechanics, rather than adding more regions and Pokémon, etc.
- The latest games should have adopted the same art style as the anime (prior to the Sun and Moon series).
- Venustoise needs to happen.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Mega evolutions and regional variants feel forced, are a sign of lack of creativity and shouldn't exist.
Pokémon designs in general went downhill after the first 251.
All Pokémon should keep their animal growls and be unable to speak.
New evolutions to old Pokémon after Johto feel completely out of place.

- There are too many Pokémon generations (that's got to be the most unpopular opinion). I want more games, but focused on storylines and improved gameplay mechanics, rather than adding more regions and Pokémon, etc.

I agree with this.

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Best Wishes is a good series.
I...I thought I was the only one who felt this way ;_; I mean, I can't really talk about it objectively, because I haven't seen it in years, but - my preteen years were spent with Best Wishes, and I always found it to be the most charming series since the original. :love: On the same note, Iris and Cilan are among my favorite companions. (Especially Cilan - I seriously had no idea so many people disliked the guy!)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I...I thought I was the only one who felt this way ;_; I mean, I can't really talk about it objectively, because I haven't seen it in years, but - my preteen years were spent with Best Wishes, and I always found it to be the most charming series since the original. :love: On the same note, Iris and Cilan are among my favorite companions. (Especially Cilan - I seriously had no idea so many people disliked the guy!)

If you ever want to talk Best Wishes with someone hit me up! Its my favorite series from the Pokemon anime and yeah its still definitely a minority opinion in the fandom. And honestly in general if you ever want to talk the anime that isnt your typical toxic opinions i would love to talk!

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I've got more.

- Grass is not the worst type ever. While it's true that it's not good as a type because of all those weaknesses, that is made up by the fact that a lot of Grass Pokemon are fast, strong, or just great in general. A lot of my favourite attacks in the game are Grass attacks too. And no, I'm not biased in a way that Grass is my main starter type, that is Water. Back when I was new to the franchise I assumed Grass was a bad type, but after using a bunch, I definitely like it now.

- Gens 4-7 > Gens 1-3, but I still appreciate the older gens for shaping up the series.

- #MalePrimarinaIsBestPrimarina

- The Pokéathlon was great! It's cool that you could get rewards for winning too. My only complaint with it is the Skill course as a whole, which I will leave for another story.

- Am I the only one on this entire site who still plays Pokemon quest?

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
~Generation V is the best generation. And I prefer B/W over B2/W2
~Generation VII is the worst generation, with Generation III not being too much better (that was until LGP/E became a thing... That took Generation VII down a lot lol)
~I dislike Generation VII (S/M/US/UM) less because of hand-holding/cutscenes, but more because of inconsistent difficulty, the region (and how limited it is), etc.
~Generation VI is good. I love Kalos, and X/Y has the best OST of the series.
~Red needs to go away for a while. The female Pokemon trainers deserve so much more love.

Last edited:
Years
Hot take here. While I enjoyed the Pokemon and some of the innovations that Gen IV brought, DPPt were my least favorite entries in the series, and I wouldn't be bothered if we never got remakes for them.

And to double down on that, I would be more interested in seeing another set of Johto remakes before we get them for Sinnoh.

Years
- BW is incredibly overrated. B2W2 was the saving grace for fifth generation otherwise it would've been a snoozefest. Sometimes I wonder if the people who put BW on a pedestal played the same game as myself because I cannot honestly forgive a game that replaced the Battle Frontier with the most terrible post-game in the main series, and that's counting XY because at least XY gave you something to do with Battle Chateau. Even SM's Battle Tree allowed you to team up with interesting characters, and the Battle Subway wouldn't even let you do that much. Simply put, if there was any legitimate criticism of laziness on Game Freak's part, BW's post-game had to have been it. It's a real shame because Game Freak essentially dumped cold water all over a good plot with the most boring post-game ever. In short, I felt like I was trying new food that initially tasted really good but then the aftertaste came and the experience went downhill from there.

- B2W2, for what they're worth, are good games but I feel like the people complaining about seventh generation gloss over the fact that B2W2 suffer from very similar issues. The plot also isn't as great as seventh generation's nor does it have close to the amount of memorable characters, but B2W2 makes up for this by having the best post-game since Emerald's Battle Frontier, so at least Game Freak gave us that apology.

- Trials really highlighted how boring every gym leader prior was. The only exception to this was BW when all the Gym Leaders appear to help out the player with Team Plasma, which was cool, but that was like the only noteworthy thing they did. Gym Leaders were essentially glorified checkpoints with the personality of a wooden plank most of the time, making most of them completely unremarkable. By the way, Gen IV is my favourite generation and I couldn't even tell you the Gym Leaders for Sinnoh off the top of my head. That is how much this bothers me.

- I like cutscenes personally because, if utilized properly, they can add depth and background to a character or character(s). All the characters that mattered in SM were given more than enough time to be memorable. Even the region Professor did more shit than like every Professor in all the past regions combined. Maybe it's just the amount of screentime he had, but Kukui was one hell of a guy for sticking with the player character throughout their entire journey.

- I don't care for remakes. Game Freak should focus on original content and not on remakes. I'd go so far as to say that Gen IV probably shouldn't get a remake because then those who like Unova would want a remake of that, and so on and so forth and it'll never end. Game Freak is a small team and I'd much rather they focus their resources on creating new, original content than remaking things over and over again just to appease nostalgia.

- I'm not sold on open world Pokemon just yet. This is an idea that so many wish for, but anyone who's paid attention to Breath of the Wild would know that many of the enemies that you encounter are basically the same and there are areas where you explore where there's a whole bunch of empty space. Considering this is Nintendo's dev team we're talking about here who made that game, I'm not sure if Game Freak would be able to pull this off and do it right.

- I really don't get what's so popular about shipping in the Pokemon anime, and sometimes I feel like people take it way too seriously. Some people do it out of fun and I understand that, but that's about as far as it should go.

- I love 2D sprites and I think there's a unique charm in 2D that 3D can't match, but overall I think 3D models are better because I prefer my Pokemon to overall be more expressive and animated rather than flat and with pixels, but that's just me.

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Here are mine:
- Ruby and Sapphire are easily the worst games
- The best generations are 4 and 5.
- I like Pansage and Pansear
Agreed.

- I think the Pokéathlon is a fun minigame in HG/SS;
- Tepig is my favorite of the three Unova starters, followed by Snivy;
I only played Pokeathlon for the first time recently and I think it's super underrated. I agree with both of these points.

I don't like Blaziken.
Absolutely agree. Though for me it's because it loses most of its "bird" aesthetic.

- Generation five is the best generation you will not change my mind on this. Even though I admit when it first came out I didn't like it, its aged wonderfully.
I agree, though I think this is becoming less and less of an unpopular opinion as time goes on.

I only have two unique hot takes that haven't been said already.

-I liked Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee for what it was - a cute nostalgia trip that made me feel like a kid again. It had a lot of aspects that I thought were adorable and the art style is good.
-I really like bug types. And Flying types. But I wish we had more more unique bugs instead of a generic Bug/Flying mon we've seemed to get every generation. Most of the bugs with interesting type combos tend to be niche, weird or otherwise unusable, and it makes me sad.

Years
For a long time Sinnoh was my least favorite region. To make something clear, I still think it is a decent game. I actually don't hate any of the first six regions, any region prior to Alola can play and enjoy to varying extents. But since Sinnoh is I would say a fan favorite I think I can count this as a non-mainstream opinion because I think its just alright. It is like I am seated at a table with 6 gourmet dishes, and the 4th has more salt than I like eatting, but it is still edible. I do like the music and the champion.

One of the reason I don't rate Sinnoh as high is because it has my least favorite set of starters. I tend to pick my starter the first time based on simply the design that jumps out at me most. In the previous I found all of the starters in Hoenn really appealing to me, and was so torn, it was the toughest choice I made. When picking a pokemon in Sinnoh I found myself stalling, but for the opposite reason, nobody just really blew me away at a glance. I took Turtwig because I thought his final form was the best of the bunch design-wise, I kinda liked that he had a tree on his back. But there still isn't enough variation in style between the three for my tastes, I usually go for the design I think looks sleek and quick, in gen 1 it was Charizard for me, in gen 2 it was Typhlosion, in gen 3 Sceptile, but nothing represented that alternative when I got to Gen 4. All three looked very intimidating and brawny with a lot of stuff on them in their final form that looked like armor, I would have liked to have had more of a contrast. Take Kalos for instance, you have that in Chestnaught, a hefty warrior, while Greninja offers the oposite a svelte, nimble ninja, and Delphox has a colorful busy, fanciful design to represent the magician. All of the Sinnoh starters felt very "heavy" by comparison. Even a round, cute little penguin like piplup ends up turning into Bane from Batman by th end. So I needed more variety, even though they were all good pokemon to use.

While Gen 5 is typically associated with having polarzing pokemon, I think you could levy that same criticism against Gen 4. There are plenty of pokemon I like from Sinnoh Staraptor, Luxray, Togekiss, Roserade, Munchlax, Gallade, and the same is true for me of Unova, and likewise for every pokemon I like there is one that I don't like, Magmortar, Probopass, Tangrowth, Rhyperior, Bastidoon were all eyesores. I do think gen 4 has a very strong pantheon of legendaries, and the history of the region is interesting.

I love how in general in pokemon from gen 3 onward the role of the legendary pokemon became a central part of the plot completion in pokemon games, and gen 4 takes this to a new level. It introduces the legendary pokemon very early into the story, and their presence is always there in in the background, resulting in I think very good on world-building. I think it sure was ambitious to allude to pokemon essentially being God and the Devil.

As interesting as all of this is though, the region has a pacing that loses me frequently. The
the next gen games Black and White had a more lively storyline from start to finish. Even the title sequence is a story with N's coronation. You meet the leader of the evil team by the first town. They weren't playing around when they introduced Unova. There is action literally before the player leaves their house, fighting your first pokemon battle in your room and tearing the place apart. The drama builds until the very end of the game, with all of the gym leaders uniting and racing to the pokemon league to aide you, just before you summon the legendary pokemon and duke it in the ruins of the Indigo Plateau in a magic castle as your rival sets his dragon on you.

Sinnoh is mucher quieter, a slower-paced game. Johto and Hoenn are somewhat quiet games as well, but they are very different stylistically to Sinnoh I think. Johto and Hoenn feel very innocent, more pastoral places, and DPPT stand out to me as lacking the intimacy and relationships that Emerald and HGSS have. I compare the Sinnoh games with them because these are the games that they are sandwiched in between in chronology. Dawn/Lukas are around doing lab work, Professor Rowan is not really distinct, he just kinda feels like a prof Oak rehash. Nobody has really changed by the end of the story. I didn't walk away feeling I had built the friendships or made the significant exchanges you have with Eusine, Silver or Lance, Steven or Wally, the only exception to that is maybe Cynthia by the time of Platinum. It was wise to increase her role, and have her follow you into the distortion world. She is the one character I really like and without her I would be very, very sad playing through these games.

While I don't think the basic storytelling structure ever falls apart in DPPt the way I felt playing SM, overall Sinnoh strikes me as a place that has a clinical coldness at the core. This may even may be intentional because space, time and the origins of creation are central themes. But as a result I do hit this wall with how much I am able to emotionally connect with the these games. My interest finally piques at the Distortion World in Platinum, yet this is interestingly still a continuation of the dark, cool, isolated tone that I think is really built into this game. It sure is cool-looking and a fun maze to wander, but you are essentially still floating around out in space.

None of these gym or elite four leaders are too memorable except maybe for Volkner at the end, and he is remembered by me primarily as interesting because he is aloof and feels down and disconnected from his experience. He matches the world he is when I think about.

What Cyrus wanted as a villain is a little opague to me even by pokemon standards, he wants a world without spirit. That makes gameplay feel more detached and vague. I am not really sure why he would want this, but whatever, if that is his motivation then I think Sinnoh definitely should be a warmer, more emotional place to contrast what the world look like without expression. Good battle theme though Cyrus.

The only character who acts really demonstrative is Barry, and not in a good way. Sorry guys, I know a lot of people like Barry, but all of that zipping around I just found annoying. If he seemed to be deeply caring genuinely then it may have worked better as counterbalance to Sinnoh's cool veneer and bleaker stone, but this guy just feels like such a forced, cartoony character that nobody would like that one look at him almost could explain why Cyrus wants to destroy the world. XY rivals take some heat, but I don't remember anyone in a prominent role who was acting like this.

Like I said, Sinnoh is not without good points. I think its okay. It has some good pokemon, Cynthia and interesting environments and ideas, but overall I think Heart Gold and Silver significantly strengthened the 4th gen as a whole, without them I'd be looking at C for a Gen 4 if I were to grade the generation. Since we have the Johto remakes that I think deserve an A+ I would average them together and give gen 4 a B+ overall

Sul_Silver

Please don't hit yourself in confusion... %@#$!!!
Years
I feel like I only have one big unpopular opinion, so here it goes:

Game Freak should stop making Pokemon games if they don't continue to innovate. Altough borderline impossible, GameFreak seems to have no Idea who they should be aiming the series at. Do they want to appeal to older players by bringing back beloved features and/or characters and appealing to nostalgia, or they want to attract a youger audience by making the game more kid-friendly and hand-holdy?

That and the fact that they barely ever attempt to create a risky feature or a big change to an old one. Altough I admit that over the years, Game Freak did make some of the best changes they made to the game in years with Unlimited TMs and the removal of HMs, but they can't be counted as a "big feature" in itself.

Game Freak also has the horrible habit of not listening to the community. With Smash, while not everything that fans wanted could be put in the game for various reasons (lack of time/resources, being too outlandish), they made several changes that the fans wanted, such as an actual training stage and fixing charachters that were deemed broken in the previous instalment. While there are planty of Ideas that the community sugests that there is no way they can make in a reasonable time (e.g. all the regions in one game) there are plenty of sugestions that I feel like they should take into account, such as a larger post-game and a difficulty setting.

I should stop now, this is feeling more and more like a rant than anything else now.

Back