• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Only Rivals, the Champion and Evil team Leaders had sprites.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • In generation six, trainer battle sprites/models were minimal. X/Y only had trainers sprites for your friends Shauna, Tierno, Trevor, Serena/Calem the Team Flare Admins, and Lysandre. OR/AS only had sprites for May/Brendan, Wally, Zinnia and Steven.

What did you think of this? I wasn't a fan of this transition.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yeah I wasn't the biggest fan of this either, I guess it's cause they were still trying to figure out/minimise the amount of data going into the engine for the 3DS versions of the games, seeing as it was early days on the system? I could be wrong though! I didn't really like our pack of friends in XY either and wish we could have just had Serena instead, but that's a debate for another day haha.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2021
    I like the Battle Sprites and hope we get more.

Yeah I wasn't the biggest fan of this either, I guess it's cause they were still trying to figure out/minimise the amount of data going into the engine for the 3DS versions of the games, seeing as it was early days on the system? I could be wrong though! I didn't really like our pack of friends in XY either and wish we could have just had Serena instead, but that's a debate for another day haha.

Eh, I really liked the friends, just wished they did more. Shauna and Serena were the only two that actually did anything.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Tbh, and I know it's a bit off topic, but I feel like I would have remember Shauna and gang having trainer sprites if they actually had more personality.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I never noticed this so I guess it's not a feature that really matters to me, but it's interesting to say the least!

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Do you mean that only the people you listed had 3D models, and everyone else used flat sprites? That's what I recall it being like.
    Anyways, I did notice it during gameplay and it was super jarring to me. Not a good look at all

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Do you mean that only the people you listed had 3D models, and everyone else used flat sprites? That's what I recall it being like.
    Anyways, I did notice it during gameplay and it was super jarring to me. Not a good look at all

The people I listed had 3d sprites, but everyone else had art portraits instead, like this:
    253px-XY_Youngster.png

Qu4ntumSh3rd

Herald of the Nine
    Years
  • Yeah that always bothered me. Intrestingly enough, all the generic trainers in gen 7 (I.E Team Skull grunts, Lasses, Younsters,) Have pre-rendered intros despite having hi-poly (for the ds) models in game, which was always strange as that ment they had all the things ready just to have in real time, which looks like it could mean it was having load problems maybe? But anyways, yeah, all trainers should be always 3d modeled and its just lazy otherwise.

Years
  • I think I noticed this halfway through my first playthrough. I thought it was cool idea and wanted to see more trainers have it. Which was exactly what happened in Gen VII.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Okay, so I misinterpreted the topic. So the topic was about how only rivals and villians get 3D in-battle models while everyone else only has a portrait. Okay... I wasn't too bothered by it, although yeah it was inconsistent. Good thing that was fixed in later gens.

What I thought the topic was about was how in gen6, the overworld trainer models and sprites were just so damn inaccurate. Heck, if you look closely, you can see that a lot of them actually reuse the same model, just with different colours to match the design. And nearly all of them look nothing like the in-battle portrait! With the first 4 generations, it was understandable, but we lasted a whole generation where the trainers actually looked like what they did in the overworld! Even if I liked gen6 overall, I could go on about the things that gen5 did better.

Back