• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Game Freezes you've ever experienced

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Name a time when your game froze in the worst possible time.

One time, I played LeafGreen for hours until it randomly froze in the Pokemon Mansion. I lost hours of playtime because I forgot to save!

Also, my Pokemon Pearl copy is cursed and it freezes so much that it one time glitched in the Underground while glitching the text box so hard the last letter repeated over and over when I read the "spelunker message" for the first time.

And one time, my game had weather glitch where the weather was ---! and the Pokemon were buffeted by the ---! and the game froze.

The routes near Veilstone City for my Pearl version are cursed to glitches and freezes, so I have many bad memories of the game freezing around that area... but more on that later when I resurface those.

I still have no idea what's wrong with my Pokemon pearl to be that glitchy and freezy, by the way, but to this day, I am way too scared to touch my Pokemon Pearl game. (It's a legit copy, I bought it from Target, I never cheated, never used action replay etc).

Years
  • Not sure I can remember any proper freezes but one time as a kid I beat Morty with just Skiploom (hard work) and it evolved at the end of the match. Saved my game and then excitedly threw my GBC in the air. Then as it fell down and hit the ground the game turned off and set me back to a previous save when I was still in Azalea. :')

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Yikes, that Pokémon Pearl cartridge thing is really spooky! No wonder you refuse to play it again.

Myself, I was disturbed by the game freezes when using the GTS in the Gen VII games. Sure, they're caused by malicious script, but the first time I got a game freeze, I just... didn't know what to do until I looked it up. It was really scary.

I also had a close call during my second playthrough of Let's Go Pikachu. My game (digital version) started lagging and almost froze in Fuchsia City of all places, after meeting Team Rocket at the beach and retrieving Warden Slowpoke/Baoba's dentures. Considering that back then I was very much looking forward to challenging Koga, that one feels rather ominous in hindsight.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Only experienced a game freeze from the Sun/Moon GTS, like Vielleroue. Struggled through Diamond trying to corrupt the save file. Never froze (in memory), however.

Years
  • I have a had a couple crashes in some of the Switch Pokemon titles, but I don't think I've ever had a Pokemon game freeze up on me.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I've had a few emulator mishaps with ROM Hacks and stuff like that but never a game freeze. Especially when playing in official hardware.

Years
  • Only time I ever had a game freeze on me was when I dropped my gameboy while the game was still running. Probably that caused the cart to shift and freeze the game right there. No internal freezes though.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    My Diamond cartridge is damaged - little brother decided to spitefully eject it whilst I was playing - so it freezes up a lot on Route 216 / 217 / Acuity Lakefront (but not Snowpoint that I've observed). Haven't replayed it since 2013, its used as a storage save instead (Platinum is better anyhow, although I prefer Lucas' design in Platinum and Dawn's in DP - blame the anime).

I got Black 2 pre-owned - first couple of years of uni I kinda forgot about Pokémon, so missed all the events for the first time since they started actually giving them out over Wi-Fi - and it loves to freeze at any point from entering the Giant Chasm with the Plasma Frigate until seemingly calming down after capturing Zekrom...which makes absolutely no sense. I understand Diamond's glitching, as I'm pretty sure the damage happened on those routes and the blizzard is probably the hardest the game has to work. But just randomly all over the region until I caught Zekrom? When it first happened, I was falling out of love with Pokémon anyway so gave up. It was only on a playthrough this year that I found if I play long enough it will calm down thankfully, which meant i finally got to enjoy PWT!

Back